Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
lindy since you're coming over the hill to get work done on her...can you have it inspected here in salida?....i don't know if they'll allow it but you might check it out. when i brought my new baby home from texas i had to go to the courthouse to register it only for them to tell me i had to have a vin inspection so i had to go over to the city bldg. to give them 20 bucks then go home and call the cops then one came over and did it..pain in the butt but it was all said and done in a couple of hours. if you need a place to park her over here to get it done just let me know i've got plenty of space
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
also if you need to tow it somewhere and you need someone to follow close to provide a little distraction....i would be more than happy
Old 02-06-2011, 12:26 PM   #43
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucymcdog View Post
I guess they could make the process harder but I'm not sure how.
Well, they could require you to come to Denver only on Feb. 29 and the governor must do the inspection.

But, since the state troopers aren't much help and the sheriff seems to be just as bad, contacting DMV in Denver may be necessary. There are people there who know what they are doing though it make take time to find them. County Clerk staff aren't always knowledgeable on titling an out of state vehicle.

Another "but" is DMV may be no help (though I'd check—maybe they will allow the "wrong" form and direct the local County Clerk to accept it), next go to the governor. Phone numbers and e-mail can be found on the internet, or contact a legislator. I think Gail Schwartz is your senator (and mine) and she has helped our water company. Her contact info is on the internet too.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:52 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
What's the penalty for not having it all done within 45 days? I know that's paying a penalty or fine is not the ideal situation, but might be worth the hair you're losing right now! Or you could move your "official residence" to another state, and license it there, then "move" back! Stupid ideas, but desperate times breed desperate measures. Minnesota was easy (hint, hint).

Kay
I've been thinking Minnesota might be a nice place to live...

I'm going to the courthouse in the morning and will get down on my knees begging them to give me a temporary license so I can get the dang thang over to Salida.

Stay tuned...

Now, what part of Minnesota might I like????
lucymcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojer View Post
lindy since you're coming over the hill to get work done on her...can you have it inspected here in salida?....i don't know if they'll allow it but you might check it out. when i brought my new baby home from texas i had to go to the courthouse to register it only for them to tell me i had to have a vin inspection so i had to go over to the city bldg. to give them 20 bucks then go home and call the cops then one came over and did it..pain in the butt but it was all said and done in a couple of hours. if you need a place to park her over here to get it done just let me know i've got plenty of space
Actually, I CAN have it inspected in Salida BUT the officer told me (and I quote) "If you tow it over here and it doesn't have a tag, I can't inspect it".

Uh.... the purpose of the inspection is to get a TAG!
Old 02-06-2011, 12:57 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Well, they could require you to come to Denver only on Feb. 29 and the governor must do the inspection.

But, since the state troopers aren't much help and the sheriff seems to be just as bad, contacting DMV in Denver may be necessary. There are people there who know what they are doing though it make take time to find them. County Clerk staff aren't always knowledgeable on titling an out of state vehicle.

Another "but" is DMV may be no help (though I'd check—maybe they will allow the "wrong" form and direct the local County Clerk to accept it), next go to the governor. Phone numbers and e-mail can be found on the internet, or contact a legislator. I think Gail Schwartz is your senator (and mine) and she has helped our water company. Her contact info is on the internet too.

Gene
I've written the state DMV and hope to hear back in a day or two. My next thought was to get in touch with Gail..

Although it might be a photo op to have my picture taken with the governor while he performs the CERTIFIED inspection (which he probably couldn't do since he isn't a certified inspector!)
Old 02-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Thumbs up

My Dad had a friend years ago who had a title in hand for an out-of-State trailer. The original owner was dead, had never signed it over to his next of kin, and therefore the new State of title would not consider the original title valid.

No names will be mentioned and all associates are long gone, but this is what happened: Dad's acquaintance got a title and bill of sale from a friend in a State that did not require stringent VIN inspection or even the need to produce the actual trailer for inspection. He then got a different trailer weighed for dry weight verification and sent that paperwork in with the "new" title and bill of sale.

While none of these documents weas really legitimate, the eventual title he received was.

Gotta love loopholes. How was that process better than accepting and transferring the deceased man's title?
PA BAMBI II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:40 PM   #48
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Lucy', Schwartz Denver phone number is (303) 866-4871.

When I went to register my father car in Colorado after he died I had an order from the Florida probate court and all the Florida documents and the Jefferson County Clerk staff couldn't handle it (for non-Coloradoans, here County Clerk's handle vehicle registrations for DMV). I found the out-of-state expert at DMV and she helped me get it done. That was 15 years ago and I don't remember who I talked to. But there is someone at DMV who may know a workaround. Or, the head of the state troopers may see the Catch 22 situation and solve it.

If someone at a large organization (a gov't or corporation—they are the same except sometimes the corporations are worse) can't get something done, I go to the top and then it will get done once I find someone who can act.

Gene
Old 02-06-2011, 03:49 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
Quote:
Actually, I CAN have it inspected in Salida BUT the officer told me (and I quote) "If you tow it over here and it doesn't have a tag, I can't inspect it".

Uh.... the purpose of the inspection is to get a TAG!
..what if you put the old oregon tag on it for the drive over?..i mean that's the tag you bought it with right? what this guy is going to do is look at the vin number and then he gets on his little radio and runs a check on the tag and if everything matches up you're golden!...you do have the old oregon tag right?
Old 02-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA BAMBI II View Post
Dad's acquaintance got a title and bill of sale from a friend in a State that did not require stringent VIN inspection or even the need to produce the actual trailer for inspection. He then got a different trailer weighed for dry weight verification and sent that paperwork in with the "new" title and bill of sale.

While none of these documents weas really legitimate, the eventual title he received was.

Gotta love loopholes. How was that process better than accepting and transferring the deceased man's title?
It helps to be creative!

Do you know if the trailer that he got weighed was the same kind of trailer that he was getting the title on? I'm not sure I have to do that - I have the original brochure that says how much it weighs. But knowing Colorado, I probably will have to get a CERTIFIED weight!
Old 02-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #51
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
oh hell i went back and read more on this thread and i see that the deputy ran a check and came up empty...so by coming over to salida with the oregon tag on it you may come up with the same results..but then again maybe not. it might be worth a shot.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:58 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
Quote:
..what if you put the old oregon tag on it for the drive over?..i mean that's the tag you bought it with right? what this guy is going to do is look at the vin number and then he gets on his little radio and runs a check on the tag and if everything matches up you're golden!...you do have the old oregon tag right?
Maybe it would work. I can e-mail the trooper and see if he would accept 17 year old tags.

I do have the old tag.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
well yeah i mean you have to pay them to do a vin inspect...make THEM work to figure it out...i don't think i would e-mail him though it just gives him the chance to shoot you down again. i would just do it and if he asks you about it, you tell him you didn't think you had the old tag but then you dug it up out in the shed...that is unless he already knows you have it
Old 02-06-2011, 04:36 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
I agree with Gene. When I don't get my way, I politely but firmly, head for the top. One time it took me two hours on the phone but I got a big insurance company to change their mind and pay for a patient's brain surgery they had denied payment on. Never give up, call up every Mr. Big there is....
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:50 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
btw lindy i think once you get this thing registered, you should sell it to me for 2 dollars and then i'll turn right around and sell it back to you for a dollar...just for grins and giggles
Old 02-06-2011, 05:44 PM   #56
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
Quote:
btw lindy i think once you get this thing registered, you should sell it to me for 2 dollars and then i'll turn right around and sell it back to you for a dollar...just for grins and giggles
Hey! I'd make BIG BUCKS that way (or at least ONE buck!)
Old 02-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #57
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
An expired plate is the same as no plate. The trooper sounds like a straight arrow and may ticket you for an expired plate, no registration, no title and possibly a dirty license plate.

I believe you can tow a car without a plate, but not a trailer. I can see the logic in that, but it's kind of weird too.

I checked the statutes, but mine are 2009, so things may have changed (there may be rules about this too and I didn't check them; usually you can find Colorado rules on the internet). Any peace officer can be an inspector if he or she has taken the certification course. So, maybe there are other sheriff's deputies or municipal cops who have taken the course. For example, a game warden could do it if he or she had taken the course. I've never see a local cop in Saguache, Villa Grove, Center or Moffat. But you can check all the towns and see what you can find out. I think Monte Vista does have a local police force. If I remember correctly, all cops did back in '70's was make a tracing of the VIN and little else and it was easy to get a title, even from a non-title state. Since no one can find a title, the bond makes sense in case the state has to come after you.

The statutes about inspections are 42-5-201 to 207; titles are covered in 42-6-101 to 147. I didn't check those because it's getting to be time to eat (gotta go) and your problems seem to be about finding an inspector.

Gene
Old 02-06-2011, 07:05 PM   #58
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
ALL of Minnesota is nice! We live in the Twin Cities area, but if I could, I'd live in Ely, up north. We only had to mail four pics of our AS to the DMV after we turned in our paperwork. We could have sent them anyone's trailer pics and they never would have known since they didn't require a pic of the VIN number (we even asked them if they wanted one). Ours didn't have a title when we bought her, because they don't need one in Alabama. Every state is different.
I agree with going to the top of the food chain to get this resolved. It's ridiculous. If the officer in Salida didn't specify "current tags" maybe you could sweet talk your way through using 17 year old ones....He DID only say "tags", right? "But, occifer, you didn't specify "valid tags"! You could try crying - Chris has a sister that it works for every time she gets pulled over. Would never work for me....

Good luck!
Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
It helps to be creative!

Do you know if the trailer that he got weighed was the same kind of trailer that he was getting the title on? I'm not sure I have to do that - I have the original brochure that says how much it weighs. But knowing Colorado, I probably will have to get a CERTIFIED weight!
It was not the same type of trailer...it was smaller and lots of weight was thrown in there (barbell weights, etc.) to make it more similar to the actual dry weight of the AS. Ridiculous!! All went smoothly once the notary snt in all the paperwork.
PA BAMBI II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
[QUOTE=CrawfordGene;948461]An expired plate is the same as no plate. The trooper sounds like a straight arrow and may ticket you for an expired plate, no registration, no title and possibly a dirty license plate.

so even if the plate is from another state and the p.o. was the one who let it expire, lindy has to pay for that?....really!?!..i mean, you would think that they would be able to trace the tag to insure that it did indeed belong to the person who's name appears on the bill of sale. and if that person was able to register it at one time, then he obviously at one time had a title and there would be record of that! it just seems to me that this would all be pretty easy for someone who is "trained" to do vin inspections....i dunno it just doesn't make sense to me

clunk clunk....that's me stepping off my soapbox