Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2011, 04:53 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucymcdog View Post
The seller will get me a notarized bill of sale in the mail tomorrow! I can now sleep soundly knowing that I'm doing this the right way. Sheriff Mike will send somebody out next week to verify the VIN. Stay tuned... And THANKS for all the help! This forum absolutely WONDERFUL! Lindy
Hi Lindy:

It's great to learn you now have all your Oregon ducks lined up. You might download from the Colorado DMV web site the correct form for the Sheriff's deputy to complete when verifying the VIN just in case he doesn't bring it with him; you can never be too prepared. Doing all this should make it easy for the Colorado DMV to issue you a certificate of title. When dealing with bureaucracies, the best approach is to make it as easy as possible for them to approve your application. Good luck and Happy Travelering!

You and hubby should consider joining a bunch of us for a TCT Rally in Canon City on May 19-22nd. Details on the Enchanted Encampment, 3rd Annual TCT Rally, can be found here:

Tin Can Tourists
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:21 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind View Post
Hi Lindy:

You and hubby should consider joining a bunch of us for a TCT Rally in Canon City on May 19-22nd. Details on the Enchanted Encampment, 3rd Annual TCT Rally, can be found here:

Tin Can Tourists
Oh darn! we would love to join you at the TCT Rally but we will be, hopefully, taking a maiden voyage in our little jewel to Texas for my (gasp!) 50th class reunion.
lucymcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:58 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
update

The deputy came to the house, did a VIN inspection, completed the form. It wasn't the right form (I had printed up the right form but wasn't here when he inspected it).

I took the right form with the deputy's inspection to the sheriff's office to get them to put it on the right form. Was told they couldn't do the CERTIFIED VIN inspection - that had to be done by state police.

I called the state police in Alamosa to see if the officer could come to the house to inspect it. Nope. I have to take the trailer to Alamosa (an hour away) to have it inspected AND they just do inspections once a month. There was an inspection on the 1st but there was also a snowstorm and I don't yet have a spare tire so I missed that one. The next inspection date is Feb. 28 and I'll be in D.C. that week. That means I can't get it done until sometime in March - a date as yet unknown.

SURELY, someplace else can do the CERTIFIED inspection!

Ah, bureaucracy!
Old 02-02-2011, 10:40 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Some other ideas . . .

C.R.S. section 42-107(1)(b), Certificates of Title - Contents, states:

(b) The department may require those vehicle-related entities specified by regulation to verify information concerning a vehicle through the physical inspection of such vehicle. The information required to be verified by such a physical inspection shall include the vehicle identification number or numbers, the make of vehicle, the vehicle model, the type of vehicle, the year of manufacture of such vehicle, the type of fuel used by such vehicle, the odometer reading of such vehicle, and such other information as may be required by the department. For the purposes of this paragraph (b), "vehicle-related entity" means an authorized agent or designated employee of such agent, a Colorado law enforcement officer, a licensed Colorado dealer, a licensed inspection and readjustment station, or a licensed diesel inspection station.

Do diesel trucks in your county have to be inspected for emissions, or is that only in the lovely Front Range where I live? Do you have a Colorado motor vehicle dealer in your county or nearby? If so, give them a call. I once had the title gal from a local RV dealer (since closed) come to my house and verify the VIN on an out-of-state Airstream I bought. It cost me $100 but the convenience was worth the cost.

The Colorado DMV web site states:

If the vehicle was titled in another state, fill out the Verification of Vehicle Identification Number form, completed by either:
  • A Colorado law enforcement office
  • A licensed Colorado motor vehicle dealer
  • A licensed Colorado emissions testing station
Maybe this will give you some ideas for options other than a Colorado LEO. Good luck!
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:58 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind View Post

Do diesel trucks in your county have to be inspected for emissions, or is that only in the lovely Front Range where I live? Do you have a Colorado motor vehicle dealer in your county or nearby? If so, give them a call. I once had the title gal from a local RV dealer (since closed) come to my house and verify the VIN on an out-of-state Airstream I bought. It cost me $100 but the convenience was worth the cost.

The Colorado DMV web site states:

If the vehicle was titled in another state, fill out the Verification of Vehicle Identification Number form, completed by either:
  • A Colorado law enforcement office
  • A licensed Colorado motor vehicle dealer
  • A licensed Colorado emissions testing station
Maybe this will give you some ideas for options other than a Colorado LEO. Good luck!
Nope, no emissions inspections in this area. And no motor vehicle dealers in the whole county. There is an RV dealer in Salida that I've bought parts from so maybe they would be willing to come inspect it. Or I guess I could take it to them since they will be installing a new axle one of these days.

I'm going to call other DMV's in the area (Del Norte, Salida, Canon City) this morning to see if they do certified inspections more than once/month. I found out I only have 45 days from the date of sale to get it certified so I've got to do something. Fortunately, the seller did get me a notarized bill of sale and dated it in January instead of when I bought it in September.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:05 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I have paid $25.00 per vehicle to have either a deputy sheriff or CHP officer come to the house for certified VIN inspections on out of state purchases. On one car, the deputy had filled out the wrong form. Called him and arranged to meet him in town and he filled out the correct form.
There are no emissions testing stations except for Denver and Colorado Springs.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:32 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
I have paid $25.00 per vehicle to have either a deputy sheriff or CHP officer come to the house for certified VIN inspections on out of state purchases. On one car, the deputy had filled out the wrong form. Called him and arranged to meet him in town and he filled out the correct form.
There are no emissions testing stations except for Denver and Colorado Springs.
I paid $10 for the deputy to come out and give me the wrong form. Then the sheriff's office said they couldn't just put the info on the Certified form - that can only be done by "trained" inspectors. I found out there is an inspector in Salida but he won't come over the hill to Saguache. I'll have to take the trailer to him. He's supposed to call back this afternoon so we can set up a time and place.

Apparently Saguache is in the Alamosa district but the Alamosa guy won't come here either and only holds inspections once/month. The next one is past my 45 day deadline.

This all seems a little ridiculous to me. I guess they could make the process harder but I'm not sure how.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:57 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
All very similar to what we went through here in Longmont for a home-made utility trailer with title, but not signed off on correctly AND there was a hole through the vin# stamped on the tongue. You have to jump through the hoops, do what they tell you, pay the $, and eventually you'll get your legal Colorado title. Hang in there, it will happen! -tim
tphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 08:56 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
and the beat goes on....

The trooper from Salida called tonight and said he would do the inspection BUT I couldn't tow the trailer over there because it has no tag. I said "but I can't get a tag until I get a VIN inspection and can't get a VIN inspection because I have no tag". What a catch 22!

In Salida, the trooper will come to the house to inspect. No so from the Alamosa office. I have to take it there which I can't do because it has no tag.

I suppose I could load it on my flat bed trailer and trailer the trailer over the mountain but that seems kind of silly.

I'm going to try to get a temporary tag from the courthouse (which I doubt they will give me) or if that fails, I'll go to Salida to the RV place and see if they will give me a temporary tag.

Hmmm... I can't get a tag because I don't have a title and can't get a title because I don't have a certified VIN inspection. I can't get a VIN inspection because I don't have a tag.... something seems wrong with this picture.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:13 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Lindy:
I'm not sure; but if you have a Bill of Sale and the Title. I would think you could tow it without a plate. Does your Bill Of Sale have a date on it less than 10 days old?
My son towed a trailer I sold to him home to Colorado with just the title and a bill of sale with no problem. I towed my Argosy clear across the state without a plate. And registered it 4 month's after I got it home, had to pay the back 4 month's fees for the plate when I got it though. How else are you supposed to do it?
Maybe 47weewind could chime in here.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:46 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Lindy:
I'm not sure; but if you have a Bill of Sale and the Title. I would think you could tow it without a plate. Does your Bill Of Sale have a date on it less than 10 days old?
My son towed a trailer I sold to him home to Colorado with just the title and a bill of sale with no problem. I towed my Argosy clear across the state without a plate. And registered it 4 month's after I got it home, had to pay the back 4 month's fees for the plate when I got it though. How else are you supposed to do it?
Maybe 47weewind could chime in here.
I have a notarized bill of sale dated 1/18/10 - but no title. The title was lost years ago. There was a 1994 Oregon tag on it that I towed it home from Oregon with and nobody stopped me. But the officer was adamant - if I towed it over there without a tag he wouldn't give me a VIN certificate.

I was thinking maybe I could tow it over to a friend's house in Salida and then have the trooper come there but now he already knows that I have a 1960 Airstream in Saguache without a tag so I don't think I would be able to pull that one off. It's crazy. Maybe I can write the State Patrol in Denver and ask them what to do...???
Old 02-05-2011, 10:08 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Do you still have the Oregon Plate? Maybe you could do a title search and get a duplicate title. Or have we been here before.
I can help you fix most things; but I'm not much help here. Sorry!
Old 02-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
Quote:
Do you still have the Oregon Plate? Maybe you could do a title search and get a duplicate title. Or have we been here before.
I can help you fix most things; but I'm not much help here. Sorry!
I still have the 1994 Oregon tag. My daughter lives in Washington and works in Oregon so I've asked her to see if maybe she can get me an Oregon title. The deputy who did the (non certified) VIN inspection called in both the VIN number and the tag number and got nothing in either Oregon or Colorado.

It shouldn't be this hard. AAAAAgggggghhhhhh!!!!!!

We're going to Mississippi and Texas in May - wonder if they will issue a title with a bill of sale????
Old 02-05-2011, 11:19 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Maybe you can fill out this form and get some answers.

https://www.oregondmv.com/SSL/comment/index.htm
Old 02-06-2011, 07:48 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
Thanks!

Quote:
Maybe you can fill out this form and get some answers.

https://www.oregondmv.com/SSL/comment/index.htm
Done! We shall see what we shall see....
Old 02-06-2011, 08:11 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Title

Lindy:
Do you know if the guy you bought it from owned the trailer in 1994. If so maybe he could get a duplicate title? Just another thought.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Lindy:
Do you know if the guy you bought it from owned the trailer in 1994. If so maybe he could get a duplicate title? Just another thought.
It doesn't matter whether you have the original title from another state as Colorado law requires a VIN inspection for all vehicles/trailers registered in another state and brought into Colorado
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:58 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Starkville , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
It doesn't matter whether you have the original title from another state as Colorado law requires a VIN inspection for all vehicles/trailers registered in another state and brought into Colorado
And therein lies the problem!

I wonder if I had the title from Oregon if a "regular" VIN inspection would work. I have that. It's getting the CERTIFIED one that is the problem since I can't tow it to the inspector (without a tag) and the inspector won't come to me.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:12 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
What's the penalty for not having it all done within 45 days? I know that's paying a penalty or fine is not the ideal situation, but might be worth the hair you're losing right now! Or you could move your "official residence" to another state, and license it there, then "move" back! Stupid ideas, but desperate times breed desperate measures. Minnesota was easy (hint, hint).

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:13 AM   #40
Rivet Master

I forget the time line, but a "bill of sale" is good for road use. We recently sold our duramax 4X4 to a guy in Kremmling. His Credit Union told him, the bill of sale would get him on the road home until he did the license.
The VIN veerification is the biggest pain. We had one done last fall on the Square Stream we brought home from Wisconsin and the officer blurred print for make ended up on the title as a "Fir-stream". I asked if our DMV could change it, NO. Needed to be re-certified. they were blaming it on the Wisconsin title, but when I showed them a photocopy from Wisc, they shut up. Meanwhile we tore the trailer apart for re-model which made tough to tow since everything was loose.. Then we had to go thru the process all over. Boy, we pay these people to be so dumb. We did get it done over> Geesh!!
‘62 Overlander 26 ft. ATW Yeager trailer #5289
"62 Airstream 22ft. ATW Hall trailer #83,’90 SQ Sream, ‘06 Bambi Q/S, Prevost Featherlite 45ft, GMC/ Bigfoot camper
Coloradobus is offline   Reply With Quote