Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2007, 11:16 PM   #1
Whirl with Earl

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
Can you help me identify my trailer?

Can you help me identify my 1958 trailer? I have the vin numbers below. What are the numbers up on the A-frame?

My trailer did not come with any paperwork, how can I find out the history of it? If the walls could talk...

Vin #:

A-frame:
aprimosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:33 PM   #2
Dire Wolf

2007 23' Safari SE
huntington beach , California
do you have a photo of the trailer to assist in the identification?
mcrickc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:58 PM   #3
Whirl with Earl

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
Here are some pictures

Here are views from both the front and side.
Thanks for your help.

Adrienne
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0295.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	34618   Click image for larger version

Name:	side view.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	34619  

Old 03-26-2007, 12:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
I'm betting on a 1958 Flying Cloud, but it could also be a Caravanner, Custom, or Safari.
1958 the names were interchangeable (they also shared the serial # sequence) with no hard fast rule on layout, etc. More pictures may make it easier to identify - do you have any interior shots, or a rear end shot?
Is there a nameplate near the door?
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:32 AM   #5
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Whirl with Earle
That writing on the front is so cool and may lead to some history of the trailer. Earle may have been a square dance caller or a dance instructor. You should take a take a close up of that, if you haven't already. Are there any ghosted images of numbers about 4 inches tall on either of the ends? This may also aid in its history. Also, please post the entire serial number, it should start with a 22. Looks like a great little trailer.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:53 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Earle

Here's what I found quickly (about Earle from Bellflower):

"The Shopkeepers Whirl with Earle

In the town of Bellflower, just another middle-income community in the sprawl between downtown Los Angeles and Orange County, James Earle Christo was the proprietor of a tuxedo rental shop with the motto "Whirl with Earle."[41] At first, Christo's tax protest activity led him to speak of the unresponsiveness of government, to suspect a conspiracy of powerful politicians and businesses, and to argue that big business should be taxed.
Beginning his tax-fighting career in 1959, Christo and the Taxpayers Association of Bellflower successfully blocked the imposition of a property tax in the town and then opposed spending tax money on a new city
― 134 ―
hall and other urban redevelopment projects. In 1965, Christo helped to form the United Organizations and was elected to a number of leadership positions through the years. Christo saw taxpayers as victims of a conspiracy of the powerful. "Forces" in Sacramento, for example, were blocking an initiative campaign to limit property taxes:
These so called "forces" must remain anonymous. . . . We cannot name names because we do not know exactly who is behind the technical roadblocks being thrown up to keep this Jarvis Amendment off the ballot. . . . Powerful groups such as the oil, insurance, banks and certain categories of privileged landowners are, of course, behind the scenes calling the shots for the people who are trying to keep our amendment off the ballot.[42]
The businesses leading this alleged conspiracy were precisely the ones that Christo wanted to tax in order to pay for the homeowners' tax relief. Banks, according to Christo, were "notorious tax dodgers which, quite legally, shift most of their taxes to the shoulders of little people." Christo argued that if a bank owned a mortgage amounting to 80 percent of the value of a home, the bank should pay 80 percent of the property tax bill. When Christo was president of the United Organizations, he advocated such a plan, which would thereby "cut down the burden of the little 'homeowner' who actually owns [only] an equity or part interest."[43]
Christo condemned the $11 million worth of tax advantages accorded to insurance companies. "The big insurance companies are permitted to deduct all local taxes on their main office buildings from the total owed to the state. While these deductions are permitted year after year, great political fanfare is made of the fact that homeowners receive only a measly $750 exemption off their total assessed valuation." Christo also forcefully advocated a $2 billion tax on oil companies in order to balance property tax cuts for homeowners. Christo's proposals received the support of the board of directors of the United Organizations, which publicized them with the slogan, "Tax big oi1."[44]
With all of the militant talk about taxing business, the United Organizations obtained only limited support from businesses between 1966 and 1971. The UO's first initiative drive in 1968 to abolish all property taxes entirely smacked of extremist ideology and was too drastic for community business leaders. "We never got support from realtors until Prop. 13 came along. [Question: Support for abolishing the property tax? Christo:] No, we never got their support on that."[45] In 1971, Christo lamented, "Many real estate dealers, I am sorry to say, seem to oppose us even though a 50percent cut in property revenues would certainly boom the real estate and home market."[46]
― 135 ―
Later in the 1970s, the United Organizations and Christo began to take a different approach to tax reduction. Christo concluded that
all previous petitions that were sent out, were sent out in behalf of the homeowner, and in doing so you alienated the businesses away from you. . . . [B]usiness is not going to stand still and allow [itself] to take the burden of homeowners' savings on their shoulders. . . . By also including business on a [tax limit of] one percent of market value—sure we did it because small mom and pop businesses supported us. See, I made a couple of radio speeches and directed us to small businesses. I expected the mamma and papa stores to support us one hundred percent. They did.
[Question: What about 137 Do you think it would have failed if you didn't include business? Christo:] Yeah, I think so, yes. Business would have lined up against us.
Christo and other United Organizations leaders had come to agree not to increase taxes on business but rather to lower them. This stand helped to increase support from community business leaders, especially those who deal with the land. Forging the alliance with the landed business community was Howard Jarvis's major contribution."

Darn. No mention of his trailer.

-Chuck
funchucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Earle musta been an interesting character ~

Makes sense he had an AIrstream, Bellflower is a neighboring community to LA/Santa Fe Springs/Cerritos where Wally had his first factory.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:15 PM   #8
Whirl with Earl

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
History of Earle and his trailer.

Thanks for all of your detective work. There is a lot of history to be found.

I have more photos to help the identification of the trailer. I have some photos of the rear. I have a close up of the lettering and I have a picture of the vin #'s. I do not know if the layout was original. But I do have pictures of the layout before it was gutted. You can see by the rear view that I am in the middle of replacing the side panel. There was alot of water damage from a leaky shower.

If you can tell me any more information, it would be greatly appreciated.
Oh yeah, what are the numbers on the A-frame?

Adrienne (Earle)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rear.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	34673   Click image for larger version

Name:	lettering.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	34674  

Name:	rear_interior.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	34675   Click image for larger version

Name:	front_interior.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	34676  

Name:	interior.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	457.0 KB
ID:	34685  
Old 03-26-2007, 11:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
What a cool find!

You are so lucky! Your trailer has a known and interesting owner history. Nearly everyone I know with a vintage trailer would give a leg to know its history.

Soon you'll know the model but already because of the lettering on the front you know who and what a character he is/was.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 12:40 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Layouts consistent with a Flying Cloud of that era. But...

Call it a Custom.
The wheel wells say California, toilet on streetside says California. The recessed tailights (Bargman 9's) say Ohio. Rear access door I haven't seen before like that?

Is there a faded blue name badge near the door?

I'm not sure about the numbers on the A-Frame.
Try PM'ing Fred (47 WeeWind) - he's the resident expert.
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 12:03 AM   #11
Whirl with Earl

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
Custom 1958 Flying Cloud

The trailer will definately be custom if it isn't already. I removed the originally broken taillights, that is why they looks recessed. I have another access door on the curb side, is that normal? It has to be all California.

I am attaching the two plates that are on the trailer. Hopefully this will help in the search for its model type.

Thanks for all of your help.

Earle
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	airstream_plate.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	18.0 KB
ID:	34762   Click image for larger version

Name:	plate.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	34763  

Old 03-29-2007, 07:05 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Bud Cooper from VAC also has an excellant history of early trailers. I will see if I can find his email. I do not think he is on Airstream Forums.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 07:40 AM   #13
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
It is my understanding that Bud has retired from Airstreaming. I'm not sure what happened to all of his records.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:05 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
1957 22' Flying Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprimosch
... I am attaching the two plates that are on the trailer. Hopefully this will help in the search for its model type. {s/n 8349]. Thanks for all of your help. Earle
Hi:

Your Airstream s/n 8349 is a 1957 model year 22' Flying Cloud built in California. The 1957 model year was unusual in that it was longer than most, lasting for 18 months. It began at the usual time, in October 1956, but ended late, in March 1958. I don't know why it was so long. The 1958 model year also began late, in April 1958 at s/n 8400 for Flying Clouds, so your trailer s/n 8349 was likely built in calendar year 1958 but is a 1957 model according to Official Mobile Home Market Report (blue book) serial number records.

The floor plan from the galley back is typical 22' California built Flying Cloud -- curb side closets & double bed, nightstand, street side rear corner toilet, shower, closet and galley. They usually had a gaucho (sofa) across the front, but the front dinette in your trailer might have been built to order. You will just have to look closely to see if it appears to have been built at the same time (same methods & same materials) as the rest of the interior, or if it looks like a later installation (different methods & materials).

Congratulations on your "new" neat old Airstream! Please keep and rejeuvinate the "Whirl with Earle" lettering in the front cap.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:05 PM   #15
Certifiable

. , .
Looks like the "ghosted" numbers, front and back, are 945.
mistral blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:54 AM   #16
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Fred,

As usual you nailed this one. I bet when they remove the wood work from the dinnette they will find it had a goucho. From the photos the workwork is PO and does not match the type or construction of the original. What a rare and wonderful find! Isn't it wonderful that we all have a forum to share these great Airstreams!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:42 AM   #17
GLASS GODDESS

2011 22' Sport
Greenville , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprimosch
Can you help me identify my 1958 trailer? I have the vin numbers below. What are the numbers up on the A-frame?

My trailer did not come with any paperwork, how can I find out the history of it? If the walls could talk...

Vin #:

A-frame:
Hi Everybody....My husband just found a way to identify your Airstream by number.....to tell where it was made, what model, how long, and what year...
For example J0266124 is made in Ohio, it is an Overlander, it's 26 feet, it's a 1966 and it's a twin. You can go to this link and click on pre 1980 VIN and there is a PDF file that will explain.Airstream :: Customer Services
Dureedesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:33 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi Dureedesign -- Glad to see you posting!

The Airstream FAQ page has a lot of good information. The VIN samples are good for a lot of years but does have some gaps in time. Once a person thinks they are close, Vintage Airstream Photo Archives has photo pages devoted to quite a few vintage models. For instance, look at the VIN samples at the top left of the '66 Overlander page -- no more actual info than Airstream's FAQs. Neither site covers all Airstream production perfectly but one or the other will answer 99% of the questions.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 10:27 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
welcome to the flying cloud club! you have a great trailer (that's my own UNbiased opinion of course )

yup, i'd say fred nailed as well. fred's description fits my 56 flying cloud pretty good too (with the exception of the 13 panel endcaps).

the photos you show are similar to my FC before i gutted it. i also have the same signage on mine. you can check out my photos and lack of progress under the 56 flying cloud forum.

also, click the link for this thread, it's the FC registry that a member has started and you can add your FC to the list http://www.airforums.com/forums/f325...try-27766.html

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote