Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
California DMV dilemma.

Hi, like many of our Airstream forum friends, We have several vehicles that need to be licensed each year. [new stickers] I have only five at this time. Two of these vehicles are due for the month of July. I have not received my renewal notices yet; Usually they arrive about two months early. Time is running out and we were getting nervous because California's late penalties really hurt. [$$$$$$$] I decided to go to AAA Auto Club and see what, if anything, they could do. Going to Auto Club for renewal stickers is a lot less painful than waiting all day at the local DMV. I arrived at our local AAA Auto Club and was told that California doesn't know what they want to charge for new stickers, starting in July of 2011 and that they cannot collect any money for any stickers due in July or later in 2011. We are supposed to get our notices on the actual due date and get 30 days to pay them before getting flogged. Does this mean that our possible two month trip has to be canceled to prevent any late penalties, since we won't be home and will be driving one of the July vehicles?

This is what I got from AAA Auto Club today:

Changes to Registration Renewals Due July 1, 2011 and later For vehicle registration renewal fees due July 1, 2011 and later:

. State law requires DMV to implement changes in the billing and renewal process for registration fees due on or after July 1, 2011.

. Registration renewal notices will be mailed out close to or on the expiration date. (Previously notices were mailed 60-days ahead of the expiration date).

. Note: Fees are still due for registration notices due prior to July 1, 2011.

. No money will be collected until renewal notices are issued. (Previously renewal fees could be collected up to 75 days ahead of the expiration date and were required to be collected within 30 days of the expiration when part of another transaction such as a transfer of vehicle ownership)

. All customers will be given a 30-day grace period after they receive their registration notice.Penalties for delinquent payment will not be imposed until 30 days after the registration expiration date. (Previously penaties were due the day after the registration expiration date)

. Law enforcement is aware and will not cite vehicles until the first day of the second month after the vehicle registration expires. For example: A vehicle with a registration expiration date of July 10th would not be cited for delinquent registration prior to September 1, 2011.

Isn't this just wonderful?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
Dmv

I have been told that Texas is no longer going to send out notices. I imagine we are supposed to guess now about when out expiration is up. I have not run into it yet on vehicles, but they did not send out drivers licenses notifications this last time when my wife's license was about to expire. It's becoming like Wal-mart around here. You go to the store, pick up your groceries, go to the self-checkout, scan them, bag the groceries pay electronically so as not to require an exchange of money, put 'em in the cart and deliver them to your car and load them in. Then they want you to bring your cart back to the corrals, that are few and far between? Next? Grow your own groceries, deliver them to wal mart and start the whole process over again? The DMV is missing the boat if they do not require you to issue yourself a ticket if you are late with your registration. :-)
Old 06-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
can you renew on the net?
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
We renew our California stickers (6) on the net. There used to be a charge for that service, but that went away some years ago.

If having your mail forwarded is not an option, you might have someone collect your mail and notify you of the amount when the notice comes. After you renew using the internet, getting the sticker to you may be another fun task, however, I don't think I would be too worried about having the sticker right away, just paying for it on time. If you get stopped by the CHP, wich most likely won't happen, they will know the situation.

We have found that renewing over the internet is easy using a credit card, and the stickers seem to come much faster than renewing by mail.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:11 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
I know here in MI you can have someone go in and pay for and pick up the renewal tab (I was able to do this for my wife while we were dating)...would it be possible to have whoever is looking after your affairs at home do this and mail you the tab?
Old 06-16-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
We renew our California stickers (6) on the net. There used to be a charge for that service, but that went away some years ago.

If having your mail forwarded is not an option, you might have someone collect your mail and notify you of the amount when the notice comes. After you renew using the internet, getting the sticker to you may be another fun task, however, I don't think I would be too worried about having the sticker right away, just paying for it on time. If you get stopped by the CHP, wich most likely won't happen, they will know the situation.

We have found that renewing over the internet is easy using a credit card, and the stickers seem to come much faster than renewing by mail.
And no standing in long lines.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I'm old enough to remember the first time Jerry Brown screwed up California (like father like son) and since he is waiting for the clowns in Sacramento to OK extending the taxes due to expire July first via a vote of the citizens, collecting certain taxes may be illegal. It's been all over the news, specifically about registration and licenses.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:41 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Aliso Viejo , California
This is what I got from AAA Auto Club today:

Changes to Registration Renewals Due July 1, 2011 and later For vehicle registration renewal fees due July 1, 2011 and later:

. State law requires DMV to implement changes in the billing and renewal process for registration fees due on or after July 1, 2011.

. Registration renewal notices will be mailed out close to or on the expiration date. (Previously notices were mailed 60-days ahead of the expiration date).

. Note: Fees are still due for registration notices due prior to July 1, 2011.

Isn't our Calif. Gov't wonderful? I just got my stickers in the mail as I have a 6/30/11 expiration date. I guess I just made the cutoff. We just paid $222 for our six year old trailer and are good for another year. I too pay by the web or in other cases go to AAA. I have more than a few friends who were turned away from our local DMVs this year after waiting hours to renew licenses due to computer problems.
Davern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davern1 View Post
I have more than a few friends who were turned away from our local DMVs this year after waiting hours to renew licenses due to computer problems.
Another very good reason to renew on line. We have never had a problem when we renew on line.

If it goes right once, it will go right every time. It's either right or wrong. No DMV person who got up on the wrong side of bed to mess it up.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
Notices are being delayed because the fee decrease or increase is part of the state budget negotiations.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, so let me put another stick in the spokes; I go on my trip, bring all of my vehicle's information with me, and submit it on line. What if two out of the three vehicles that [59 Galaxie exempt] I'm trying to do require a smog test? I certainly can't get that done out of state. I guess the answer will be that the state budget will be taken care of with penalties and fees.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
Best you could do is pay online, provided you get the notices with the access code. Don't know if AAA offices in other states could help you with paying DMV fees in CA?
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:26 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, so let me put another stick in the spokes; I go on my trip, bring all of my vehicle's information with me, and submit it on line. What if two out of the three vehicles that [59 Galaxie exempt] I'm trying to do require a smog test? I certainly can't get that done out of state. I guess the answer will be that the state budget will be taken care of with penalties and fees.
You can pay the registration fees before penalties set in. If you need a smog check it can be done later without incurring late fees. You just won't get your sticker until you get the smog check.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:54 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
What he said. We have our son's vehicles while he's on his Navy ship on the other side of the planet. We get his mail and pay his fees online. Sometimes I take his cars in for the smog check but the fee has been paid no matter what. When he's home on leave he takes care of smogging his Jeep...he's got it too high for me to cliumb into.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4
I'm old enough to remember the first time Jerry Brown screwed up California (like father like son) and since he is waiting for the clowns in Sacramento to OK extending the taxes due to expire July first via a vote of the citizens, collecting certain taxes may be illegal. It's been all over the news, specifically about registration and licenses.
Wonder if they'll ever stop overcharging truck owner's as if we all use our pickups for commercial purposes?
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:36 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post
Wonder if they'll ever stop overcharging truck owner's as if we all use our pickups for commercial purposes?

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:51 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Quote:
Smog checks are every two years. We often have ours done on the road before we get the renewal in the mail. It can be done either 60 or 90 days ahead of the renewal date, don't remember which. That way the smog "tic mark" is already on the vehicle record at the DMV when we finally renew on line.

If your date is near, I would go ahead and get the smog check, if this is the year, as though you were anticipating the renewal in the mail, and head out on my trip.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:14 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2011 34' Classic
Vancouver , Washington
Our solution was to leave the less than golden state about 6 years ago.
techiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 03:33 PM   #19
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Our registration included an "out of state" affidavit to be filled out and submitted if you are going to be out of the Golden State when your smog test is due.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:53 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Yeah, why would you have to smog it if you're out polluting another state? Hahaha
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote