Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2018, 09:51 AM   #1

Hunsdon , SG12 8PB
An Englishman in an Airstream

Hi Guys, I'm a retired Englishman (non U.S. Resident) just starting looking to purchase an 80's Excella for touring the U.S. 3-4 months of the year. Can anybody shine a light on some of the paperwork problems and solutions I will need/encounter buying and registering the trailer in the US. I have no US address but will probably purchase a plot somewhere later on to keep the beast.

The same paperwork will apply to a tow vehicle I suspect, are there any exceptions on vehicle age as I’m thinking of a 70’s 80’s F250 as a nice matching combo.

I’m a total beginner with U.S. requirements so expect this to be ongoing

Thanks
scootdogg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:09 AM   #2
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
If you search, you will find there are several threads on this. Simple answer is, there is no simple answer.

Most states require residence and a current driving license issued in that state. The US does not recognize UK driving licenses so although you can drive on an IDP, to get a US license you will also need to establish a residence and in some cases take the driving tests (in some states just the theory test, in others both theory and practical).

I have lived in the US for 10 of the last 14 years and still have a registered address, current insurance (at the address), US bank accounts, a US social security number and permanent residence status (having lived in US for 10 of the last 14 years) yet when I left Massachusetts and relocated back to the UK in 2016 have not been able to register my Argosy motorhome anywhere else to allow it to be used.....the next option is to 'give it to someone I trust' so they can register it and I can borrow it when I come visit!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Hi, scoot . . .
We are NOT members, but friends of ours are and they seem to find a support group at the Excapees - https://escapees.com/

They full time, so their "registered" address is in Texas at the club, as are their truck tags, drivers licenses, etc.

Might be worth a call or email to explore the options??
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Be aware that motor vehicle regulations are a state government function, not federal. As such, they are not standardized across the entire country beyond some basic agreements that lets us drive in other states while our vehicles are registered in our state of residence. So, there are 50 sets of rules. That's what makes it so complicated.

Perhaps Escapees can be of help.

We'd all love to welcome you in your travels.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:28 AM   #5

Hunsdon , SG12 8PB
RV Insurance

Hi guys starting down a long road, First up RV insurance for a 1980's airstream excella while touring, it's a must so would anybody like to recommend a company, an agent, what to have etc.
scootdogg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:07 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootdogg77 View Post
Hi Guys, I'm a retired Englishman (non U.S. Resident) just starting looking to purchase an 80's Excella for touring the U.S. 3-4 months of the year. Can anybody shine a light on some of the paperwork problems and solutions I will need/encounter buying and registering the trailer in the US. I have no US address but will probably purchase a plot somewhere later on to keep the beast.

The same paperwork will apply to a tow vehicle I suspect, are there any exceptions on vehicle age as I’m thinking of a 70’s 80’s F250 as a nice matching combo.

I’m a total beginner with U.S. requirements so expect this to be ongoing

Thanks
On YouTube you can find a Frenchman, who does what your thinking of doing, albeit with an Entegra class A, I would reach out to him to see how and what he had to go through. Here is a link to his channel.

Great Escape
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
For insureance, take a look at GEICO and Good Same. You'll probably want to be a Good Sam member anyway, particularly if you don't go with Excapees. Both have mail forwarding services, which might be an advantage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootdogg77 View Post
Hi guys starting down a long road, First up RV insurance for a 1980's airstream excella while touring, it's a must so would anybody like to recommend a company, an agent, what to have etc.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote