Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2006, 11:20 AM   #1
Shiree

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Am I about to go to title hell?

I'm looking at a '62 Tradewind on e-bay (it's in North Carolina), and the current owner has not ever registered the trailer, can offer nothing but a bill of sale.

I will need to have the trailer towed or shipped to Texas.

Can anyone tell me if it's a huge problem to ship a trailer without registration? Am I going to have trouble finding a shipper?

I can't tell how big of a problem this is, so any advice on the subject would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Shiree
Alluminatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 12:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Hell? You aint seen nuthin yet.

It looks like you have taken on a MAJOR project.

The door can be re skinned easy enough....but the rest is a casting. Its not going to happen. A salvage piece is your oly chance.

I have been down the DMV route with the Texas DMV. Austin may make is possible.

Here is a link to any number of hauling types./www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/haulquery.pl

There are lots of better and cheap possibilities right here in Texas. Go to the Valley....I always see abandoned or Estate Airstreams.

Good luck. Don't burn out on this.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 01:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
No, I believe title hell is right here in Massachusetts. When I went to the RMV to get our registration for the new Bambi, they kept insisting that I was either a trailer or a camper but I couldn't be both. Finally determined that since I was self-contained, I had to have a "camper" plate (what I already new since I just sold my older Airstream which had a camper plate). Then they insisted that since I was a camper, my vehicle must have cylinders and how many did it have? Took several minutes to convince them I had a camper-trailer with no cylinders, the cylinders were in the truck towing the trailer. Finally she handed me the plate and said I had 10 days to get the camper inspected to make sure it passed emissions testing etc. Massachusetts doesn't inspect campers but the computer was saying I needed to have my camper inspected and the woman insisted that this was correct. So I finally got out of there by asking where I should take the Bambi for it's inspection. She waited a few minutes before answering, slowly punching the keyboard to finish the transaction and finally said, "You know honey, if I were you I just wouldn't worry about it." So, I'm legally registered now and I'm not worrying about it.
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
Title regulations vary a lot state to state. There are still some states that don't title trailers. Guess where thefts take stolen trailers to clear the title? I wouldn't consider the deal unless A) the sale price minus delivery was less than scrap value or B) the sale was contingent (escrow) on transfer of title at your states DMV.
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote