Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2007, 07:53 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Michael
I'm really surprised that production numbers are so low.

I guess my frame of reference was the auto business. From these numbers, it appears that Airstreams are about as exclusive as Ferraris!
Ferrari sold 5,700 units worldwide in 2006 and 1,635 in North America.

Ferraris sales are up one year and down the next but they haven't changed appreciably over time.

John
Old 05-28-2007, 09:03 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
I've long been a Porsche enthusiast. I don't have the specific production numbers in front of me, but Porsche Cars North America releases stats every month. If memory serves, Porsche sells about 25,000 cars annually in North America (and this number excludes the Cayenne SUV which dramatically ramps up sales even further).

By this measure, Airstreams are far more rare than Porsches.
Sean Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:49 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
New data

Hey,

Maybe gmorris at Airstream of Arkansas can give us more details on how many of each model is being made this year. Is it true the factory has slowed down?

John
Old 05-29-2007, 10:06 AM   #24

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I also would love to see some production figures broken down by model, length, etc. I don't understand why Airstream is not more forthcoming with this information as it would only serve to bolster their image with their most loyal fan group, us. We , as a group, are Airstream's best advertisers. They should be more coopwerative with us.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:32 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
I also would love to see some production figures broken down by model, length, etc. I don't understand why Airstream is not more forthcoming with this information as it would only serve to bolster their image with their most loyal fan group, us. We , as a group, are Airstream's best advertisers. They should be more coopwerative with us.
Hi, I would be curious too, but do you think that Airstream feels it would somehow effect your buying decission, similar the east coast telling the west coast how voteing is going before you went to vote? Maybe they would say we made 500 25' front bedrooms and only 7 34'ers this year. Would that make some people want the 25' front bedrooms because they are more popular? Or would that make more people want a 34'er because they are more rare? Maybe this account would make too many customers change their mind, screwing up Airstream's production process. Just a few thoughts, I have no idea why! Maybe your special, one of one hundred, was really one of one hundred and fifty?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:05 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
On a tangential note, I pried some interesting tidbits of knowledge out of the line supervisor when we toured the factory in the summer of '05.

I asked him about the impact of the CCDs on production. He said that he never thought they'd sell at all, but by that point, they were accounting for about 60% of total production. Perhaps somewhat to the displeasure of the old hands. The whole CCD phenomena surprised the heck out of a lot of people.

I also asked about the impact of the increased production on quality control. He didn't think it necessarily caused any QC problems. Yes, they'd had problems hiring, training, and retaining more people, but they never cut back on the number of QC checks made, or the time alloted to make them.

I got the feeling that the QC issues they were seeing came simply because of a lot of design changes were happening throughout the product line, all at once. Prior to '02, the trailers had been pretty stable designs for some time. But after the big ramp up, suddenly they were churning out all sorts of new configurations and new materials that took a while to nail down. At least that was the impression I got from him, or maybe my fuzzy memory of my impression.

I asked what his single biggest problem was, and he didn't even hesitate for a second before answering: Getting a consistent supply of quality wood and wood products. There was some obvious exasperation every time he thought about that. There was some particular irritant there that he didn't elaborate on, but I suspect it was the stuff they were using in the flooors.

And though everyone was looking forward to the new building where the new motor home would be built, they all seemed a little concerned as well. I guess with good reason, in retrospect.
AgZep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:28 AM   #27

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgZep
O
I got the feeling that the QC issues they were seeing came simply because of a lot of design changes were happening throughout the product line, all at once. Prior to '02, the trailers had been pretty stable designs for some time. But after the big ramp up, suddenly they were churning out all sorts of new configurations and new materials that took a while to nail down. At least that was the impression I got from him, or maybe my fuzzy memory .
I think this plays a big role. Going back to 2001 you really didn't have a lot of flavors now its a real hodge podge all of which makes quality control much more of a nightmare. Keep in mind the exposed surfaces new materials leave a lot of room for error. My Classic has probably the best internal finish of any Airstream built. The big key is a lot of fabrics, wall coverings etc the traditional "heavy" wood.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:40 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Keep in mind the exposed surfaces new materials leave a lot of room for error. My Classic has probably the best internal finish of any Airstream built. The big key is a lot of fabrics, wall coverings etc the traditional "heavy" wood.
Jack,

That was something he mentioned specifically. He said it took a while to get the workers out of the mindset of treating the interior aluminum the way contractors treat drywall. They were spending a lot of time repairing dents and scratches in the interiors of the CCDs because people kept forgetting they would always remain exposed. Probably not a problem by now.

Personally, we love the exposed aluminum. Very easy to keep clean and new looking, and obviously lighter than putting anything else over them. Amazingly, our trailer had no scratches or dents in the interior aluminum at all. It still doesn't, even after a year of full timing and some pretty extensive interior reworking.
AgZep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:30 AM   #29
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I still don't know what a "BVD" is. I have a 30' Safari. Is it a BVD?
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:22 PM   #30
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
BVD's are very special underwear made for use while towing an Airstream.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:18 PM   #31
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMEMACHINE
Hey,

Maybe gmorris at Airstream of Arkansas can give us more details on how many of each model is being made this year. Is it true the factory has slowed down?

John
John,

Yes it is true the factory has slowed somewhat...I am not sure of the production numbers at this point...

just at last years dealer meetings they took over 600 orders from dealers which was the largest ever if I recall...

Our 2007 meetings are next week in Vegas, I will be getting the numbers then on 2007 production and 2008 projections.

We had a real strong Feb, March, and April here at the dealership...however, May has slowed tremedously...all over the country from what I hear and people that I talk to...

I will be anxious to see what goes on next week...I am on the A/S Dealer Council again this year and we have meetings all day Thursday before everyone arrives.

I really think A/S has some new and exciting things coming out soon...I will tell you all about them when I return.

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:06 AM   #32
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorris
John,

I really think A/S has some new and exciting things coming out soon...I will tell you all about them when I return.

G
I am looking forward to hearing what's coming in the future. Especially if we will see Class-C's coming out of Jackson Center or maybe even an eventual return of Class-A's. Just rumors I've heard.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 05-31-2007, 08:25 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
1964 24' Tradewind
Merrimack , New Hampshire
Quote:
We had a real strong Feb, March, and April here at the dealership...however, May has slowed tremedously...all over the country from what I hear and people that I talk to...
I bet you it is not unique to A/S and that it has something to do with the housing market going through a correction..
golddigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:10 PM   #34
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
I bet even more has to do with the uncertainty of gas prices and the fear of $4/gallon gas prices that have been rumored in the media all month long. Now they say that talk was premature, but I think the damage may have been done for this summer. I think a lot of folks that would have taken one big road trip and several weekend trips to the lake/beach/etc. will probably fore go the weekend trips to save gas money to finance that single big road trip and thus don't want to tie up a lot of money on a new Airstream for just that one trip this year.

Next year will probably be determined by fuel prices between now and the beginning of next summer and the comfort level people get with whatever fuel prices prevail by then.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 05-31-2007, 12:28 PM   #35
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
I too think it has a lot to do with gas prices...it is not just the A/S line it is all across the board...

Keep your mouse ears on Minnie's Mate!!!

I'll let you know...

g

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:36 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Wha'?

Quote:
Keep your mouse ears on Minnie's Mate!!!
Minnie's Mate or Minnie's Mate?

Though I know you can't say anything yet... will we hear it before Geraldo? (couldn't find the ptui! smily...)

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:43 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Airstream could help value

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags
moosetags,

Your thoughts as well as Sean Michaels and flyfishers regarding rarity of the brand product are interestingly curious. Why doesn't Airstream help the claim to "exclusivity" by showing the numbers. They did it for the Quicksilver and the 19' 75th model. I will bet you there are other models that a far more "rare" in production right now.

The concept would go a long way to help us as loyal enthusiasts to maintain our investment value and bolster the resale. It would be a win-win for Airstream and owners. One of the reason classic cars have escalated in value is due to the car manufacturers keeping accurate records especially "build sheets". If Detroit can keep track of millions of cars, you would think Jackson Center could handle a few thousand trailers a year.

John
Old 06-01-2007, 06:46 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Classic
Birmingham , Alabama
Porsche is not shy about publishing its production numbers. In fact, sometimes it will release a "limited edition" model with a fixed number of production units that it widely promotes.

For example, in 2003 Porsche built 1,953 units of the Boxster "Special Edition" that commemorated the 50th anniversary of 1953's 550 Spyder.

It would be like Airstream announcing it would build 80 "special edition" Classic Limiteds to celebrate the 80th anniversary of the company.

Airstream could get a lot of marketing upside out of its production numbers.
Sean Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:39 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Update

This thread has been quiet for awhile.

Anybody have any idea what the latest production statistics are from Jackson Center? Maybe someone whos has recently been to the factory heard some numbers??
Old 08-25-2007, 10:12 PM   #40

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I have two emails to JC asking for the production figures on the 2005 25FB. They have never even answered me. I guess they don't believe in customer relations.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote