Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Title, VIN & Registration
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2016, 12:27 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
I realize that Californians really pony up a lot of tax money every year but, my gosh, look where you get to live! You can surf in the morning, ski in the afternoon, amazing State and National Parks. Hundreds of miles of breath-taking shoreline that you have had the great good sense to preserve rather than sell off for condo development. Some really amazing cities, equally amazing small towns. Desert, mountains, forests, seashore, lakeshore...
Mike
Hi, this is so true; I spent my entire life in Southern California. I'm now enjoying Oregon. [since 2014]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:32 AM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
May sound strange but not as strange as this. When I applied for a passport they would not accept my certificate of birth as it was issued by the Pa. hospital I was born in.
I had the same thing happen to me with my birth certificate that was issued by the hospital. I ended up ordering a new copy via the agency that handles that in Harrisburg... and granted this was over 10 years ago, but it couldn't have been more then $20 from what I recall.
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:42 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
Or a traffic stop or fender bender. Stuff happens. Stay honest.
I can recall when I was stationed in Twentynine stumps (erm, 29 Palms)... I don't recall the circumstances, but a CHP officer stopped me with my Texas plates and saw I had a CA address. Now, the haircut should have given away that I was in the Marines, but whatever... He starts in that I needed to register my vehicle in California. When I showed him my military ID and said that I was a Texas resident, so I didn't need to register my vehicle in CA, he said it was better if I did. I remember asking him why and him not really having what I considered an acceptable answer.

But you're right, any sort of traffic stop and if the plates don't match your residency it can be an issue (even if legally you don't have to register in that state).

-Wayne
wbrisett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:28 AM   #44
1 Rivet Member

Manitou Springs , Colorado
Our '72 Argosy was purchased in Kansas. New Colorado title for it was under $30, but all the paperwork took weeks to run thru the system, VIN verification etc. Good luck, Don
Don Doucette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 07:51 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Pennsylvania is $17.50 for our 30' FC AS, no additional fees EXCEPT a state mandated safety inspection which is required on all trailers with brakes. That costs us $40.00 per year. Only additional cost is purchase sales price which in our county is 7%, two miles away in another county it's 6% on the net. Make a trade which lowers the purchase price and thereby lowers the tax. On our most recent purchase we paid no tax as we traded something of greater value than the 30' AS, we actually got a check from the dealer, our AS and no tax. Yes, we fully realize it cost us money, but we are back into an AS.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:13 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
I realize that Californians really pony up a lot of tax money every year but, my gosh, look where you get to live! You can surf in the morning, ski in the afternoon, amazing State and National Parks. Hundreds of miles of breath-taking shoreline that you have had the great good sense to preserve rather than sell off for condo development. Some really amazing cities, equally amazing small towns. Desert, mountains, forests, seashore, lakeshore...

Granted, the highways need work, a lot of work. But, holy mackerel, look at where those highways will take you.

I live in South Florida. Once a paradise, now, not so much. Great winters, intolerable summers. Excellent highways, but way, way too crowded 24/7. Fresh water supplies starting to be stressed, development out of control, political corruption endemic.

It may just be a case of "the grass is always greener..." But I'd consider selling a major organ to live near Monterey, or San Diego, or Carmel etc. etc.

Mike
Trust me, we know. It costs me pretty to live here but I can't think of any place with more perfect weather, and so many different kinds of beautiful country in one state. We can do the outdoors 90% of the year. My Texas boyfriend however is driven mad by the cost of living and the taxes and the stupid politicians who don't seem to know how to run the state except into the ground regarding these same parks. Neither of us are repubs, but the legislature running my state are stupid and clueless when it comes money. Park shutdowns, shorter open months, most highway rest areas closed, (in fact there is only one open between San Diego and the Arizona border. Every year Californians pay more in taxes for fewer services. I could go on, but why? I love living here anyway.

p.s. we are also too crowded and traffic makes me insane. When I moved so far north County it was nice and quiet, moved another 25 miles north, still too much traffic. San Diego is totally full up, cause I'm close to the county borderline.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:41 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Show a valid CA driver's license and the plates on the vehicle are from a different state and you get a ticket and x number of days to get CA plates. Cops troll college parking lots on a regular basis in San Diego.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:09 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Registration in MT is cheap....

We have registered in MT on all 3 AS's, and also our TV's. Cost on our 2014 FC was around $300 including personalized plates, I believe. You only have to register once, and no there is sales tax in MT.

We were living in San Diego last 3 years, and the laws in CA are ridiculous!! Even though we purchased our 2014 FC in CA, we had to take delivery out of state in NV when we purchased in 2014; cost extra $600 to have it towed to campground outside Reno including a notary to officially sign title to us before we could take possession. I was never pulled over in CA, but a close friend (ex-cop) advised me if I was pulled over, tell them I was just passing through or could be big fines...

Prior, we were in TX and no issues with having vehicles titled in MT; as long as you can prove your living in area registered 6 months out of year, TX does not care. 1 day out of the month constitutes credit for that month so we typically stay in MT couple weeks over Christmas/New Years so that's 2 months, and we summer June thru Sept. there also, so we are legal technically for the 6 months minimum rule in TX. Last 3 years we had our DL's from TX with MT plates/registration, and were "staying" in CA for work... lucky for us we did not have any problems....now we are out of CA, and have MT license finally. Will be in TX in winter time going forward. (as for CA: we miss the weather, but not the "other issues" you have to put up with there)

MT is a good deal for motor vehicles...heck, if its over 11 years old, you can get a permanent plate; we had a 1992 Bronco, and paid a 1 time fee of $200! That was 11 years ago...
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:20 PM   #49
Rivet Master

My first time registration for my 2016 Interstate was over $3,000.00!!!! I was thinking maybe $1500.00, but, they doubled it!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:19 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
My first time registration for my 2016 Interstate was over $3,000.00!!!! I was thinking maybe $1500.00, but, they doubled it!
23 years ago we moved from Washington state to Colorado and our Auto tabs went way down. Last year we moved back to Washington state. While we were gone they changed the auto license fees. So once again, our tab cost went significantly down. I figure if we keep moving back and forth, they will soon be paying us each year.

Ken

Unfortunately moving back and forth expenses dwarf licensing costs.
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:25 AM   #51
Proud Owner Vintage SBB

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLady View Post
I can't believe you're sniveling about the registration fees on a $150,000 motorhome...

Michael, who loves paying his taxes because it's the patriotic thing to do.
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:36 AM   #52
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by '55 Airlight View Post
I can't believe you're sniveling about the registration fees on a $150,000 motorhome...

Michael, who loves paying his taxes because it's the patriotic thing to do.
I'm sure she paid $10,000 plus in sales taxes. She's complaining about fees which are not taxes.

I'll bet you pay a patriotic bundle of taxes on your 1955 trailer.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 01:55 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
Show a valid CA driver's license and the plates on the vehicle are from a different state and you get a ticket and x number of days to get CA plates. Cops troll college parking lots on a regular basis in San Diego.
This happened to my Dad when we moved from CT to CA in 1968. You have 30 days to make the change.

But my boyfriend lived in CA with Texas plates from Feb? 2011 to Oct 2012 without any problem at all. Have no idea why he wasn't bothered, but I'm appreciative. This was before our Airstream btw.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 02:14 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

1951 21' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
CA registration fees do decrease as the vehicle/trailer gets older. Our '51 Flying Cloud costs around a whopping $60 a year to keep registered and on the road here in God's country.
calais66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:04 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by calais66 View Post
CA registration fees do decrease as the vehicle/trailer gets older. Our '51 Flying Cloud costs around a whopping $60 a year to keep registered and on the road here in God's country.
Yea, but our MT tags cost nothing after initial $300 on 2014! Plus, no sales tax either...beats your $60/year; right? :-)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 03:04 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Shreveport , Louisiana
If I buy new and register in Louisiana, sales tax alone Is 9.6%.
Endodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:32 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2005 34' Classic
N Smithfield , Rhode Island
Hello All,

Nothing as bad as RI. $37 per $1000 of NADA value for cars, MH, travel trailers, motorcycle etc - everything registered except boat (had a strong lobby - only a small registration fee every year). On top of 7% sales tax on our Interstate (AKA Penny) after the first year we paid property tax on Penny approx. $4600. It does go down every year but slowly. With all our toys our per year taxes is out of this world. Next year thinking about a new TV and cringing at the thought of additional taxes.

Additional info about RI : 6% state income tax, 7% sales tax, plus super high real estate taxes etc etc. Otherwise quite a lovely place to live. Great ocean beaches, within 1 hour of Cape Cod, mountain in NH two hours, of course Maine and the Canadian Provinces.

BRN-2905
NEAC of Region 1
AirHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 04:35 PM   #58
Rivet Master

55Airlight,
Thanks for your input....BUT, I hardly think I was sniveling....just adding to the subject matter. Yes, it is high, considering I also paid a bundle in taxes as well.
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:37 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
sticker shock :( wow, just received my CA vehicle registration

never owned a pickup truck prior to buying my AS .... I had no clue the state would fleece me of so much money, can this be right ? $301.00 / year ?

seems like extortion money ..

I own a 2010 Tundra, with 150,000 miles, bought used .. and will drive no more than 6-9k a year ..
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 06:03 AM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
It's not very often Ontario looks good regarding government fees. Our Airstream cost $180 to register three years ago and it's a lifetime plate.
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote