Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2003, 09:57 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

What's the best roadside help plan?

Due to a massive snafu on my part, I recently had to have my '74 Argosy towed home. No problem, I thought, I'll call AAA. The nice lady on the phone took my information and told me help would arrive in less than an hour.

About fifteen minutes later, her supervisor calls. He tells me that, since I don't have the optional motor home towing coverage, they should never have taken the call. He gives me the number of a big rig towing service, then asks if a salesperson can call back on my cell phone to sell me RV coverage! And, by the way, he adds that this new coverage won't take effect for 72 hours. I tell him thanks, but I'll find my own coverage later - once I'm no longer stranded.

I've been an AAA member for many years; they've done fine in general for auto towing for me. My inclination is to get their RV coverage, even though I'm still a little cheesed off at the supervisor's untimely sales tactics. I know there are other services like Good Sam out there, but I know nothing about them.

What experiences have others had with these various help plans? Any recommendations? Costs?

Bob McKeown
Nashville
mcneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 10:07 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I have AAA but to get the RV coverage you have to upgrade to AAA+ and then add on the RV coverage. They also have some fine print that the RV towing is not available in all states.

I just added the optional coverage that Foremost has for their trailer policy. It covers the trailer and tow vehicle. If the tow vehicle is disabled they will tow both. Cost was $40 for this option.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 10:12 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Good Sam and FMCA ( Family Motor Coach Assoc. ) both have good roadside coverage which I am a member of both and you can look up thier web site for more info. and seem to be very reasonable.
TexasStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2003, 10:30 PM   #4
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
I just received a quote from RV Alliance ...

Towing & Roadside Assistance:

Unlimited mileage and occurences. Towing service done by RV experts. No extra cost and no deductible applies. "Sign & Drive" service, which means no out-of-pocket expenses. 24-hour toll-free number accessible from U.S. to obtain dispatching.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 07:33 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
AAA

I have the AAA+ service with RV option. Fortunately have not had to use it yet to test it's reliability. I started a thread many weeks ago requesting input on the various options out there. Thought it would be nice to get comparisons on service & reliability when you really need it.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 07:48 AM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I have AAA+ and have added the RV coverage. I have had a mixed bag regarding the service provided.

Broke down in Idaho, out in the middel of nowhere, 25 min response with a truck.

Broke down in Dallas, 15 miles from the beltline and it took 6 hours to get a tow truck to me.

Broke down in FL, took 1 hour for a truck to arrive.

The Dallas thing really hacked me off, and I am going to consider changing it to another company since I had to spend over an hour explaining to the dispatchers that I was a motorhome and needed a big truck to do the tow, not a "regular" tow truck. All I can say is thank god for cell phones!

I did have good sam a few years back, used it twice with satisfactory results. Even with them you have to wait 24 hours for it to take effect.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 03:08 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
We signed up for the 12 months free ROADSIDE Assistance for AS & Tow vehicle package, offered by "THOR" when we bought our AS. For an extra $5.00 they covered also our other car.

The small print is little and very reasonable. Covers all states and Mexico (with some limitations).

Thankfully we have not needed it, so we can't judge but it's good to have it.

Check them out also. They brag on their brochures that AAA doesn't even come close to what they offer you for less $$.
Old 11-12-2003, 04:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
I had the basic AAA about 5 years ago when I bought my SOB motorhome. On my way back from picking it up for the maiden voyage home, I broke a fan belt and ended up on the side of the interstate in the midst of construction and rush hour traffic. Pretty scary for my first trip. I called AAA and they told me I didn't have the RV upgrade, and that for $10 and my credit card number, they would add it on. So I did, and within 20 minutes a giant wrecker was there with a guy that knew how to tow a motorhome. I would have never known at the time to pull the drive shaft off.

Anyway, that was then and it was a good experience. I checked recently, and the RV upgrade to AAA was I believe about $30 more per year. When I get ready to hit the road I will check it again.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 04:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
USAA

I know this may not be for everyone, but I do know that there are alot of Vets here and USAA has good service for such, as well as their family members and significant others.
Astrodokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 07:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

I use AAA for years and have mixed results with them. There are many limits to their coverage and if you don't have there EXTRA coverage they will leave you stranded even if you ask the tow driver for a little exra help. I dropped AAA and now use Thor because they will tow both my Tow vheicle and AS to a safe place with no hassle as long as your with in the parameters of their tow hook. Like if you go over a cliff they wont' pull your AS up to the road. I think that's reasonable.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2003, 08:01 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
coverage?

i have good sam it sounds good...unlimited this and that.....but it only kicks in if you are at least 300 miles away from home....i guess they have a smart ass actuary somewhere that fingered that one out....dont you know.....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 11:58 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Norbert wrote:
Quote:
I have good sam it sounds good....unlimited this and that........
But it only kicks in if you are at least 300 miles away from home.......
NO NO NO NO Norbert! We must be more careful what we post here!

Good Sam will send help to your driveway if you need it. Or even to unlock your wife's keys out of the car in your own garage, n matter whether your RV is hooked up or not even there on same property with the car.
It is an auto club + a RV road-help club.

What you are confused about is the GoodSam Road Service "Travel Delay Assistance" feature which pays for you a place to stay etc if you are in a collision. The collision must take place at least 300 miles from your home.

I would not leave home without it or one like it.

S&V
Sue&Von is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 12:38 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Good Sam is actually owned by Affinity Road & Travel Club Inc.

Affinity also has Camping Worlds "RoadCare"RV Emergency Road Service. And "Coast to Coast"road service club.

The three are identical in most* respects and use the same sales and dispatch centers.

Sales is in Denver.
Dispatch is out of Phoenix and Massachusetts.

Affinity also has "Motorhome America Club" (motorhomes only).

The first 3 all cost about the same the first year. (usually $79.00) following years go up a bit. $89 for CW RoadCare and $99 for Good Sam. (not sure regards Coast to Coast).

Good Sam covers your childeren driving your vehicle ( I assume they must be licensed).
And offers the Travel Delay Assistance feature, RoadCare does not offer either, hence the cheaper renewal. Not sure re: Coast to Coast.
As for abuse you get a warning letter after 4 uses, are subject to non renewal after 5 uses, and will probably be cancelled after 6.
(I assume this is per membership per year).
Actually most owners use the service less than once per year on average and that is how this too "good to be true" thing happens I guess.

Of course the actual arriving service person is someone contracted with and I guess occasionally you can get a rotten egg. Probably most often up North

If your tow vehicle breaks down they will send 2 wreckers (tell them when you call) and this will be counted only as one useage.

You do Not have to be a member of Good Sam Club to belong to their Road service club.

For info on all the above call 1-888-255-8546. and follow menu to customer service.

I'd ask for operator 759 or 737 both very nice and very knowledgeable ladies. No pressure and you can buy as near as 24 hours before useage during the week.
Sue&Von is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2003, 01:27 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
i stand corrected madam......

norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote