Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2019, 01:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Miami , Florida
Upgrading Insurance Due to Solar/Lithium Installation

I have a 2019 International Serenity 25 FBT which has been insured by Progressive. We added a major upgrade to the electrical system including a significant lithium battery bank, new inverter charger, 400W of solar and other items. This was all professionally installed and I have the invoice for it. I am trying to upgrade the insurance to account for the installation and my broker says that Progressive will only consider increasing the value for the cost of the equipment but not for the labor or the tax. I look at this as having an $8,000+ shortfall in my insurance coverage for which I am now self insuring as labor and taxes came to that amount. If the rig is totaled, I would be short $8,000+ of what I would need to replace it. Anyone else face this type of issue or have any thoughts or recommendations? Right now, I would readily drop my Progressive coverage to get proper coverage with another company.
mcc272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Go for agreed value insurance, get a good appraisal, which will include the total value of your upgrade. That is what I just did and Progressive was the lowest cost.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:07 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2019 25' International
Miami , Florida
Broker says that Progressive will not write an agreed value policy, even with an appraisal but will only write a policy based on the purchase price invoice and the hard (non labor) costs of add ons.
mcc272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 02:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Get a different insurance agent. I assure you I just got a Progressive policy for agreed value with my upgrades. Also FCS, ads in the monthly magazine, endorsed by WBCCI, is underwritten by Progressive and they were my first agreed value quote. I used my local agent because the cost was less.
Larry
Old 07-09-2019, 06:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc272 View Post
I look at this as having an $8,000+ shortfall in my insurance coverage for which I am now self insuring as labor and taxes came to that amount. If the rig is totaled, I would be short $8,000+ of what I would need to replace it. Anyone else face this type of issue or have any thoughts or recommendations? Right now, I would readily drop my Progressive coverage to get proper coverage with another company.
Sorry, but personally in my opinion, this is "in the noise" and not worth the effort. Insurance has always been to cover and address the big ticket items. They could just as easily nickle and dime you to for every little piece of coverage and you wind up paying more for the unlikely situation you'd ever leverage your policy.

You obviously have the means that $8k in labor is not going to make a material difference to you.

Besides, technology is changing and the future lithium battery system is going to cost peanuts compared to what's available today.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:12 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Keep in mind that insurance is regulated at the state level. What a company will / can do in one state is not always what they do in another state. We've moved around a bit and it's always surprising to find out just how much this or that changes when we move.

Even within a state there can be a pretty wide variation in pricing. What's cheapest here may not be the low cost winner 50 miles down the road. Yes that seems really weird on something that is mobile, but that's the way they seem to do it.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:47 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc272 View Post
Broker says that Progressive will not write an agreed value policy, even with an appraisal but will only write a policy based on the purchase price invoice and the hard (non labor) costs of add ons.
Get a different broker, progressive does agreed value for many people on here
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:43 PM   #8
Still Learning

2013 25' International
Benzonia , Michigan
Insurance coverage for upgrades

2013 25ft International purchased used in 2016, 2nd owners. Michigan residents. We have a [Michigan] Progressive stated value policy based on the price we paid for the trailer in 2016. Inflation adjusted [the coverage amount has gone up since policy was written.] In December of 2018, while we were in Naples, FL, we had Lou Farber and Michael Fabiano install a 400w solar system, Easy Start, King TV antenna, WeBoost 4GX, battery disconnect, etc. After calling Progressive customer service, we emailed the invoice to Progressive and they added the entire total of the invoice for the upgrades to the value of the policy, no questions asked.

[Thanks again to Lou and Michael for a great install that works fabulously. ]

Kat
trailerKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnet18 View Post
Get a different broker, progressive does agreed value for many people on here
Within limits and, as another poster mentioned, the rules vary from state to state.

My Progressive agreed value policy had to be pinned to the price we paid for our rig almost 5 years ago. We, too, did solar and lithium - and recently installed a new engine. Our agreed value policy remained the same.

Now, whether anything has changed legally in the intervening time, I am not sure. But I was told at the time by Overland Insurance (Ron Jarvie) that it's extremely difficult to buy an agreed value policy unless one is within a window of time near the actual purchase and the receipt proves the value. This is what held true in Texas at the time.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Within limits and, as another poster mentioned, the rules vary from state to state.

My Progressive agreed value policy had to be pinned to the price we paid for our rig almost 5 years ago. We, too, did solar and lithium - and recently installed a new engine. Our agreed value policy remained the same.

Now, whether anything has changed legally in the intervening time, I am not sure. But I was told at the time by Overland Insurance (Ron Jarvie) that it's extremely difficult to buy an agreed value policy unless one is within a window of time near the actual purchase and the receipt proves the value. This is what held true in Texas at the time.
I had heard that on the forum also, but not true. Get a good Airstream appraiser and Progressive did not blink.
Larry
Old 07-10-2019, 11:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Well, you were never going to get that $8,000 back in actual use as compared to using a generator instead....

So if the trailer is lost or stolen what difference does the $8,000 lost really make?

(Sorry, but that's just the harsh truth),

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:35 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Agreed Value

I have agreed value insurance through Progressive for my 2005 Safari 25, for more than double NADA "average retail price" due to condition and improvements. I had them increase the agreed value early last year to cover the $1600 I spent for a 340W solar system I installed myself.

My $1600 has paid for itself 10-fold in hassle-free, silent, reliable battery charging, every day, every season, in storage, on the road, in the desert, in the forest, etc. Then again, it all depends on how you use your AS. Boondocking mostly for us, and rarely, if ever, using AC, microwave, hair dryer, toaster, and never TV. To each their own, as long as you're not firing up your generator next to me at 7am in a pristine boondock location.
Airhead59 is offline   Reply With Quote