Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Trailer Insurance at one company, Auto Insurance at a different one

All,

Trying to get insurance quotes for the AS we are going to take delivery on (a 2009 27' FB Cool Breeze) and here is what I have found out so far.

1) My current auto policy is with Farmers and they quoted $550/year for trailer coverage. I have a perfect driving record so this sounds high to me, but that may just be lack of experience on my part.

2) I Called SAFECO (who I have my J/24 boat insurance with) and they won't even provide a quote let alone issue a policy unless I move my auto policy to them.

3) Called AAA and got the same story.

4) I heard from some folks (like the person that I am purchasing the AC from) that their policy is $195/year (sounds too good to be true, and I don't know if they have an auto policy with them also).

Here is my question... What has been your experience on getting insurance for your AS (annual rates, with or without auto insurance at the same company, recommendations for an insurance provider, who to avoid due to claims issues, etc.)

Thanks for your thoughts and help,
Scott
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:49 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
That's a very post... and I'd add one more question (for me, you don't have the complication.) For those of you with good insurance rates, who has agreed-value on a vintage trailer? I'm picking mine up in 2 days. State Farm quoted me a similar figure for a new Airstream when I asked my agent about it as a theoretical question, but I don't even know if they do agreed value, they might want to pay me $500 if something happens to my Argosy and pretend they're offering me a gift.
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
The Grass Capital of the World , Oregon
Like a good neighbor...

State Farm quoted me a price somewhere around $180/yr for $15,000 worth of replacement cost coverage on my vintage trailer, and my record is terrible.

I drive like a bat out of hell, the speed limits are way too low on this planet. How am I to achieve flight if I obey "limits"?
SpaceEgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
FCIS in Iowa issues agreed value policies on vintage airstreams. Rates are low too.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Try GOOD SAM, it is GMAC. I have had good luck with them but they also will ask for home and auto. Rates are lower when combined; but this is true with most ins. co.
If you are old enough, AARP (Hartford) is also good
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Airtandem,

Yes... I am now old enough for AARP.... and am proud of it (besides... I don't like the alternative of not having a birthday each year) so I will check them out. I will check with GOOD SAM also to see what they have to offer. I also want to thank all of the rest of you for your comments and ideas.

Scott
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:33 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Aliso Viejo , California
I have Farmers on my trailer and I think its a little less than $350 a year. I think my deductable is $1000. Early in my AS ownership, I did put a huge crease down the streetside of the trailer. They paid the bill at Inland RV for new metal with very few questions asked. I'm happy with them and wouldn't switch over a couple hundred bucks a year.
Davern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, my cars and trailer are all insured by AAA. Your tow vehicle insurance already covers the liability of your trailer. [that's half the battle] I pay less than $300.00 per year on my trailer. Good Sam, Camping World, and GMAC are all the same. [GMAC] They will only insure my trailer if I also insure my tow vehicle with them. They have some perks that I don't get, but at seven times the yearly price. No Thank You GMAC.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I pay $800. for collision and other than collision with 100% replacement per year. But these are IOWA rates and not California.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
I pay $800. for collision and other than collision with 100% replacement per year. But these are IOWA rates and not California.
Hi, yeah, we get ripped in California; GMAC wanted about $750.00 for six months coverage. This was about five years ago. The agent had a hard time trying to give me a quote, called her main office, and was informed that she wouldn't find my trailer in the travel trailer section, but had to go to the Airstream section. [now I know we are special]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:21 AM   #11

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Well, this doesn't quite qualify as trailer with one, car with the other... State Farm (in Texas) carries my house and car already, and just quoted me $63 for 6 months of comprehensive+collision for an agreed value of $7000. So, that has several discounts built in (multi-line, long-time customer, etc.)

I suspect from some of the underwriter's wiggle words that were relayed by my agent that I'll need to get an appraisal to protect myself, because they asked the original price (which was about $7600) and expressed disbelief that it's only depreciated $600 in 36 yrs. So, without an appraisal if I had a loss they'd try to low-ball me, which is no less than I expect from any con artist...er... insurance company.
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have my cars and home with Farmers. They quoted $800 for the AS!!! Had my agent check around. Progressive was $400 and change for the same coverage. Same story with the recent addition of a 125cc scooter to my toybox. Progressive seems to specialize in toys, where the big box insurers, even with multiple policies, don't get it!
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:50 AM   #13
hang up and drive

2010 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Autos with USAA and trailer with Progressive. With full replacement (at an established dollar amount), my annual premium on the trailer is around $500. For a 2010 Classic, I think that's a pretty good deal. Progressive would offer more of a discount if I moved my autos to them, I am sure, but that ain't gonna happen.

There's two keys to this insurance thing beyond specific company policies:

1. It's largely about your state. Your insurance company will charge you exactly what your state allows them to charge you. I once moved from the D.C. metro area to rural East Texas and my rates WENT UP around 15%!

2. One shouldn't choose insurance based on premium alone. There is a lot to be said for service and claims payment reputation and I'll happily pay a little more for impeccable service and a lesser chance of the company squirming should I have to present a claim. What good is a cheap premium if you cannot get them to pay for anything? The research should focus on service and claims payment and less so on premium.

YMMV.

2023 Ford F350 Lariat 7.3/4.30 FX4 CCLB
2010 Classic Limited 30
ProPride P3-1400
kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:43 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by kry226 View Post
Autos with USAA and trailer with Progressive. With full replacement (at an established dollar amount), my annual premium on the trailer is around $500. For a 2010 Classic, I think that's a pretty good deal. Progressive would offer more of a discount if I moved my autos to them, I am sure, but that ain't gonna happen.

There's two keys to this insurance thing beyond specific company policies:

1. It's largely about your state. Your insurance company will charge you exactly what your state allows them to charge you. I once moved from the D.C. metro area to rural East Texas and my rates WENT UP around 15%!

2. One shouldn't choose insurance based on premium alone. There is a lot to be said for service and claims payment reputation and I'll happily pay a little more for impeccable service and a lesser chance of the company squirming should I have to present a claim. What good is a cheap premium if you cannot get them to pay for anything? The research should focus on service and claims payment and less so on premium.

YMMV.
That's why I have a good AGENT, who I have been with for years and trust. I never shop for this kind of stuff from a nameless someone on the I-net. Products, yes,,,,,,service industry stuff, no.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote