Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2018, 05:10 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Columbia , Missouri
Towing Insurance Question

I am shopping for insurance for a new Airstream I purchased. I am receiving some conflicting information and thought maybe some on the Forum could help.
I am being told that the liability coverage on my tow vehicle (pickup) extends to and covers the travel trailer when hooked up and heading down the highway. Makes sense I guess. These same folks tell me that when unhooked at the campground OR in the unlikely event the travel trailer comes loose going down the highway and does damage to other cars and people the tow vehicles liability insurance still covers any damage caused by the unhooked trailer. Not sure!
The other school of thought is that you must have a separate liability policy on the trailer for these unhooked situations.
Which is it? Any comments appreciated.
montgomg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
With my policy from State Farm the liability extends to the trailer. I pay $242.00 a year for the 2016 Airstream 23FB Intl.

I would check with different insurance agencies including your own car insurance. I bundle mine with several other policies and have a good driving record. Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:50 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Columbia , Missouri
As long as the trailer is hooked to the tow vehicle I am certain the tow vehicles liability insurance extends to the travel trailer.
What I am trying to flesh out is where does the liability insurance coverage come from if the travel trailer is unhooked from the tow vehicle whether in transit (comes unhooked, heaven forbid) or while at the camp grounds.
montgomg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Check with your agent/broker as to the different companies policies. If you still have concerns, get the clarification in writing from the companies that you are considering insuring with. In our province coverage is included with the tow vehicle when on the road, or at a campsite while traveling. I have a seperate policy when parked and not in use. Check it out well, as insurance companies sometimes want to try and get out of a claim.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:41 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by montgomg View Post
As long as the trailer is hooked to the tow vehicle I am certain the tow vehicles liability insurance extends to the travel trailer.
What I am trying to flesh out is where does the liability insurance coverage come from if the travel trailer is unhooked from the tow vehicle whether in transit (comes unhooked, heaven forbid) or while at the camp grounds.
I doubt any agent will answer this question, or would even know the answer.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Just ran into this. There is no conventional liability coverage on any policy I looked at. If the trailer was being towed and came unhooked, it makes sense that the coverage would come from the tow vehicle. Quotes I got included a property damage coverage that covered damage to, for example, a campsite caused by myself or my trailer.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:58 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Surry , Virginia
Liability on any trailer, camper or equipment or utility, is on the vehicle towing it.
NukeSubSailr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
I doubt any agent will answer this question, or would even know the answer.
Mine did just that, Amica, very clearly in fact, for them it's separate coverage. (Even the unhitching part).

When you watch the new State Farm commercials, with all of their crazy claims they've covered, by now they should have all circumstances accounted for and calculated in, I would think the only time you should have difficult time getting a proper coverage answer is if you are trying to go through a local insurance broker and not dealing directly with one of the major coverage companies.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:01 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
My take: You need to get a trailer policy in addition to your coverage on the tow vehicle. You need to be insured for damage to the trailer while camping and for liability in case someone visiting you gets hurt. So with State Farm we have a auto policy, a trailer policy on each trailer, and a liability umbrella rider on the householders insurance. We have a boat so we have a boat policy also.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:16 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
Mine did just that, Amica, very clearly in fact, for them it's separate coverage. (Even the unhitching part).

When you watch the new State Farm commercials, with all of their crazy claims they've covered, by now they should have all circumstances accounted for and calculated in, I would think the only time you should have difficult time getting a proper coverage answer is if you are trying to go through a local insurance broker and not dealing directly with one of the major coverage companies.
I would also check laws for what is required.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Add separate RV coverage to your Auto Policy. GEICO was marvelous to us last year during two back-to-back accidents.
https://woodworkcareer.box.com/v/TwoDisastersVideo
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote