Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

west orange , New Jersey
To warrantee or not to warrantee-extended

i am about to close on a new 27' flying cloud. I am financing the purchase and was told that I could extend my credit line to include the purchase of a $3,400 7 year extended warrantee (how generous) but not for other after market accessories like a solar package etc. This sounded lame. After reading some of the postings on other threads, I am more certain that I don't want an extended warrantee. Thanks for the advice. It sounds to me that the dealer reserved some of the credit line for this more lucrative warrantee option.
any thoughts on this?
famlyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Lucrative, indeed. For them. And try getting them to cover anything. Like pulling teeth. We had an extended warranty on a small motor home we had before our AS...never again. We sold it before the warranty was over, and we got a refund, but the formula for refunds is NOT in your favor, and it will take months to get, many calls and a ton of frustration. You are better off going with the 2-year warranty from Airstream, getting all the bugs hammered out over those two years and then if you want, take extended warranties offered by the manufacturers of the various components... fridge, AC, furnace, solar, etc... Or put some cash away each month for those inevitable things that will need to be dealt with down the pike...if you idon't need it, then you have a nice little stash of cash. It's the same deal with cars. Extended warranties are just another way for the seller to take your money.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Like Consumer Reports says, don't buy an extended warrantee, it is just another profit center for the seller. I am a firm believer in infant mortality, if a part is going to fail, it will fail early in it's life so I never buy them. Additionally, as TBRich said... Good luck getting something repaired or replaced under the extended warrantee is very difficult.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
This is a $64 question: To buy insurance or self-insure. It’s impossible to assess your specific situation, particularly not knowing what is covered, and what’s really included (excluded) in all those “after-market” extras such as solar, and the deductible. There’s a lot of fine print in many extended warranty contracts, and numerous hoops to jump through in order to obtain payment on what would seem to be a covered event, particularly 3rd party insurance providers. The industry does not have a great reputation for a variety of reasons, some of them well-earned, including non-payment, slow payment, unresponsive to service requests, excessive exclusions, confusing language, and bankruptcy to name a few. Nevertheless, many people have navigated these shoals successfully, while others have walked away frustrated and several thousand dollars poorer. It’s important to look at the financial capacity of the provider, their history of payment or payment denial, as well as the extent of the coverage and the deductible. If your internet search shows a debris field of customer complaints against the company due to payment denial, unresponsiveness, financial alerts, etc., then run, don’t walk, in the other direction. On the other hand, if you find that you’re dealing with a reputable concern, you may be able to purchase a policy that will afford you the protection you want/need without costing your first-born child. It’s important to remember the true purpose of insurance, viz., protection against large, serious, and catastrophic loss, rather than simply as a pre-payment mechanism for what would ordinarily be routine maintenance. You can buy insurance to do either, but there’s a considerable price associated with the latter. In other words, a zero-dollar deductible, bumper-to-bumper policy is going to be costly, while a much higher deductible will have a dramatic impact on premiums. With a higher deductible, you’ll eat the nickel and dime stuff, maybe even the $100-$200 stuff, but you can have a bit of a safety net for the catastrophe, such as the AC, the fridge, etc. Personally, I have an affordable, $200-deductible plan with Good Sam’s CSP, and I’ve been pleased with their performance. I don’t have an extensive claim history because most of my events have been under the deductible radar, or within a couple of hundred dollars of the deductible, so I’ve been eating the petty stuff. Nonetheless, I continue to renew it because that refer and that AC are getting long in the tooth, and one day, my premiums will come roaring back. Meanwhile, they’ve behaved in a professional manner, and I haven’t had to arm wrestle them for payment (my dealer does that without incident). So, having said all this, your numbers sound on the high side, though I haven’t priced them lately, plus you’re financing the entire 7-year policy, paying interest on $3,400 for 7 years (actually, you’re paying on $1,700 for 7 years, or $3,400 for 3.5 years). I’m not in the insurance business, but rather than dismiss the warranty concept out of hand, I would look around for a reputable firm that offers a monthly/quarterly/annual affordable program with a deductible to see if that suits your risk/benefit tolerance as to what might give a measure of protection for those “large, serious, and catastrophic” losses. I have my standards, and sometimes I buy them, and sometimes I don’t. In part it depends upon my assessment of the complexity of the insured item, my view as to the probability of both getting my premiums back (in effect) and a very large claim. I can tell you that I purchased the longest extended warranty they would sell me, directly through GMC on my 2003 Yukon, then extended it just prior to expiration. There have been several big-ticket claims, and since it is the GM plan, authorization and payment is smooth as silk. Trust me: I’m working on their money. Whew! Sorry for such a windy response, I hope it helps.
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by famlyman View Post
i am about to close on a new 27' flying cloud. I am financing the purchase and was told that I could extend my credit line to include the purchase of a $3,400 7 year extended warrantee (how generous) but not for other after market accessories like a solar package etc. This sounded lame. After reading some of the postings on other threads, I am more certain that I don't want an extended warrantee. Thanks for the advice. It sounds to me that the dealer reserved some of the credit line for this more lucrative warrantee option.
any thoughts on this?
Extended warranty on an Airstream is a high profile SCAM.

Plus a HUGE waste of money.

Most shops refuse to do any extended warranty work, because what those companies approve, they find excuses not to pay for what they approved.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

west orange , New Jersey
Thanks for all the good advice guys. I've decided against the warrantee. picking up my new Airstream on the 5th of december, and beginning a 3 or 4 week journey down south from NJ to Florida then back. I expect this to be a good learning event. cheers.
famlyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, simply put, never buy any extended warranty unless it is from the actual manufacturer of the product. Airstream does not have extended warranties.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote