Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-17-2016, 06:49 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
Take it to Can-Am Airstream dealer in London. They have the expertise to advise you on proper repairs or "dent removal" experiences to let you know what the cost and results may be before making a decision on a claim. They have knowledge of insurance companies policies and rates. Insurance companies in Ontario can be pushy and try to force you into a repair or shop you may not be happy with. Call Can-Am first.

I got a recommendation from them before switching insurance companies to one that would protect the rising value of used Airstreams here in Ontario. My regular company would only go ACV or Actual Cash Value which does not mean they will pay 100% to replace in today's market. This is a big problem with fluctuating Canadian versus US dollars and the cost of a used replacement.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:56 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
Call your insurance company and ask what your options are and if your premiums would increase due to a claim. Then you can make an informed decision.

I suspect that damage is worth a claim though regardless.

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:32 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Langton , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIPPPIN View Post
Take it to Can-Am Airstream dealer in London. They have the expertise to advise you on proper repairs or "dent removal" experiences to let you know what the cost and results may be before making a decision on a claim. They have knowledge of insurance companies policies and rates. Insurance companies in Ontario can be pushy and try to force you into a repair or shop you may not be happy with. Call Can-Am first.

I got a recommendation from them before switching insurance companies to one that would protect the rising value of used Airstreams here in Ontario. My regular company would only go ACV or Actual Cash Value which does not mean they will pay 100% to replace in today's market. This is a big problem with fluctuating Canadian versus US dollars and the cost of a used replacement.

I called them first thing Monday morning. They're going to get back to me with a price to replace the panel and stone guard. They did not mention dent removal.
I'm leaning towards the paintless dent removal.
Davadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 07:09 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
I have lots of experience using paintless dent removal after owning a large fleet of rental cars for many years. There are few good paintless dent removal people in Ontario. Seldom is the repair 100% perfect. Can-Am may have tried them also and can advise you on their experience. Alum is not steel and will not produce the same result. Alum is soft and with the shiny surface is a bad candidate for this repair because the reflection shows damage more. If you are after a like new repair, replacement may be the best option.That said you could try dent removal and if you don't like the result replace the panel if you are not going through insurance as they may refuse after the dent repair attempt.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:22 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
The most expensive insurance you can buy is the policy that either will not repair your injury... or the one that you will not make a claim on.
In both cases, you've simply thrown money down the toilet.

If (with regard to the damage you've suffered) you're thinking you'd rather keep the policy you have rather than suffer an increased premium on the renewal....then you're inadvertently carrying a too-small deductible. By not making the claim... you've decided on a higher deductible already...but not told the insurance company about it ...and they're charging you a higher premium than you should be paying. Think about that.

So... they want to raise your rates because you made a claim? Then tell them you won't be doing business with them in the future. That's a two-way street.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote