Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-08-2022, 06:05 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Parrish , Florida
shock and awe

My wife and I were pulling our 2019 30 ft Classic with our Ford F250 diesel in I64 near Roanoke the last week in May. The engine department started to smoke and I pulled off parallel to the Interstate. Opened the hood and the engine compartment was engulfed in fire. I emptied 2 fire extinguishers to no avail. The aluminum truck burned to the frame, from the front bumper to the rear, burning and melting everything in between. We retreated to a safe distance and watched the carnage. The volunteer fire dept arrived about the time the fire started to melt the front of the Airstream.
The AS was moved to a storage lot and later to the closest AS dealer. We have called about once a month to ascertain where the repair is along the timeline. We've been told each time we call that they are waiting for propane tanks and the sofa.

After 5 months, I contacted Jackson Center to see if they can lend a hand. They called me the next day and said the dealership was waiting on 2 forty gallon propane tanks, the sofa, and some window box treatments. He also learned that the sofa was never ordered and that sofa is handmade in Italy. He also added that we were 7th in line waiting for the propane tanks. I said that Jackson Center must be in a difficult position unable to complete any new orders for Classics since they were out of propane tanks. His response was that they have the tanks for new orders, but they won't release any of that supply to others, like us.

In the past 6 years, we've purchased a 25' Flying Cloud, followed by a 2018 27' Globetrotter, and last October purchased a (used) 2019 CLassic. I think we are exhibiting strong brand loyalty. To told be told by the mother ship that they have some of the items you need to complete your repair but they won't provide that material because it's reserved for new builds makes us want to rethink our RV choices. Clearly, Airstream is more interested in making new customers than servicing existing customers.

I will say, anyone contemplating the purchase of a new or used AS, should ask some hard questions about Jackson Center's commitment to AS owners who have problems like ours.

It's heartbreaking to learn almost 5 months later that the dealership forgot to order the sofa. We spend 3-4 months a year traveling in our AS, most of the travel is in spring or in Fall. We are close to a half year without our trailer and have no promises of when the repairs will be completed.

We have innocently trusted the dealer to complete the repair in a timely manner. We understand that supply chain problems have influenced the dealer's ability to complete the repair but that has nothing to do with failing to order a sofa, that's made in Italy.

We are very disillusioned about this and are trying to pursue a different solution to this problem. We are learning that no one is looking after your problem other than you. We have also sadly learned that Airstream is much more interested in selling new units than servicing existing customers and helping with their problems. Buyers beware.
Jimingram55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 06:43 AM   #2
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Sorry to hear about the problems you're having.

Is the trailer otherwise weather tight and useable? If so, have you considered using some smaller propane tanks temporarily and possibly another seating option? It would let you hit the road while the dealer and Airstream figure out how to get you the needed pieces to complete the repairs.

Or, would Jackson Center be able to supply the needed parts more quickly if the trailer was there?

Not sure that either of these two is a realistic option - just trying to throw out a few possible paths.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 08:49 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2020 25' Globetrotter
Hillsdale , New York
Yikes...this is a scary situation and I am glad you are ok.

Good luck sounds like some kind of a mess.

SPP
SlowPokePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 09:27 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
It's hard to say what I'd do in your shoes.

If the trailer is otherwise ready to go, only thing being missing is the couch and two propane tanks, I think I'd go hitch up my trailer, buy two propane tanks and put 'em in, and tell the dealership to call me when the couch comes in.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 11:37 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Celina , Texas
It’s interesting to read nothing about your tow vehicle and how that was handled. New vehicle? Ironic that aluminum truck burned to the ground, aluminum trailer intact.

No fuel in truck? No explosion?

No mention of wiring issues. Sofa inside melted but batteries, wiring, plastic window shields all OK? No aluminum buckling if front from heat intense enough to melt sofa inside. Propane tanks empty? Intense heat would have set them off.

Worth of an evening news segment. Like to hear more….
Journeying America via the "Blue Highways"
-Be Curious, Not Judgemental…Walt Whitman-
Genebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 02:16 PM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Airstream dealers are very much a mixed bag. I've been in the area you had the "problem" in. The closest dealer was an absolute disaster. The "next closest" has now changed hands. It is abundantly unclear just what sort of job they do now. They used to be one of the top dealers in the nation. Without knowing *which* dealer they sent the trailer to, it's very hard to figure out what's what.

JC has their priorities. They have hard commitments to deliver this or that to paying customers. In terms of getting things rolling down the road, 30 pound tanks could be fudged to fit in by a reasonable dealer. Steel tanks would also work, just without the magic monitoring stuff working ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 03:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
This entire story is shocking.

If the trailer is travel-safe and weatherproof, my suggestion would be to remove the couch and invest in some really nice outdoor camping furniture — perhaps reclining and/or rocking. This will get you through the repair period and be useful in the future.

Best wishes for getting this mess resolved…..
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 04:35 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Parrish , Florida
There are no forensic people that visit the vehicle after the accident plus, most all evidence would be melted away. Auto-Owners has insured our vehicles since 1980. They paid promptly and I now drive a 2022 Tundra. The heat melted the tops of the full propane tanks. I'm told they are designed to melt and under pressure, expel the contents. They didn't explode nor did the 10 lb propane tank I had in the bed although I believe every airbag did. I'm not skilled in taking pictures from my phone and sending them but I believe it would be helpful in answering our concerns. Sorry.
Old 10-09-2022, 05:02 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sorry for your accident, and so glad no one was hurt, but what a pia with the dealership and the Mother Ship.

Shame on Airstream for allowing a long time owner to be without the use of their trailer for lack of parts, while they build and sell new ones using those same parts.

We had a similar experience with a replacement awing that a dealer “forgot” to order, and finally ordered it ourselves and had it delivered to them.

Presuming these places are not run by children, it is a small matter to check off that parts have been ordered and then track their progress toward delivery.

We also once called Airstream ourselves to get defective cabinet doors on our rig taken off the assembly line and shipped to our dealer, after waiting an extended time for them.

Might consider trying to order the propane tanks yourself, and using someone other than an Airstream dealer.

Good luck,

Maggie
Old 10-09-2022, 05:10 AM   #10
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
what a sad story

It's hard to read and not get chills, hopefully you're close to getting back on the road. Just a note about the sofa, we replaced the sofa in our Classic with two recliners, made by the same company that makes the sofa, it works better for us. Any clues or idea what caused the fire? What year Super Duty?
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 05:59 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post

Might consider trying to order the propane tanks yourself, and using someone other than an Airstream dealer.

Good luck,

Maggie
Hi

The propane tanks on a Classic are more than a bit unusual. They are 40 pound aluminum tanks with special sensors inside the tank to read out the level. Those sensors mate up with the electronics in the trailer to give you information on a screen. No, you don't need all the bells and whistles simply to go camping. Like all repairs, you can go this way or that.

If the top of the tanks went, there are a number of other bits and pieces gone as well. They should be easier to fine. In these times of weird parts shortages ..... who knows.

If I was headed into DIY land, I'd start calling various dealers to see what they might have sitting in the back room. If the trailer is already sitting at the old OODM location ( it might be .... ), no need to call them.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 05:56 AM   #12
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genebuilder View Post
It’s interesting to read nothing about your tow vehicle and how that was handled. New vehicle? Ironic that aluminum truck burned to the ground, aluminum trailer intact.

No fuel in truck? No explosion?

No mention of wiring issues. Sofa inside melted but batteries, wiring, plastic window shields all OK? No aluminum buckling if front from heat intense enough to melt sofa inside. Propane tanks empty? Intense heat would have set them off.

Worth of an evening news segment. Like to hear more….
I'm trying to visualize all of this, and it does become hard. The propane tanks have a rupture disk that releases the product when it becomes over pressurized that produces a very dramatic show, but prevents the tank from exploding. From my years as a firefighter, I've witnessed this event many times.
Old 10-14-2022, 05:19 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Parrish , Florida
Here are some of the pictures of the fire. We chose to drive home from Roanoke in a rental the next morning with as many personal belongings that we could carry. The AS was moved from storage to the dealer 2 weeks later.

It's a 4 day round trip from where we live if we were to visit the trailer. To this point in time, we have not yet made that trip.

We aren't looking for pity but there seems a lack of compassion with some of the remarks and questions.
Our purpose in writing was to solicit solid advice on our situation and don't find a litany of "what happened" questions helpful.
Some of the questions are difficult to answer since we haven't seen the unit since the end of May.Click image for larger version

Name:	20220522_120626.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	424018Click image for larger version

Name:	20220522_124408.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	424019Click image for larger version

Name:	20220522_120629.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	424020
Old 10-14-2022, 05:27 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimingram55 View Post

We aren't looking for pity but there seems a lack of compassion with some of the remarks and questions.
[/ATTACH]
Unfortunate but true. Seems to happen quite a bit on this forum.
Good luck with your resolution.
Old 10-14-2022, 07:14 AM   #15
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Viewing the pictures of the Airstream, I would recommend taking it to Jackson Center for repairs.
Old 10-14-2022, 08:01 AM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbs View Post
Viewing the pictures of the Airstream, I would recommend taking it to Jackson Center for repairs.
^
YES...

Sorry for the loss...hope all works out for you.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-14-2022, 08:04 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
The truck is obviously totaled. Wouldn't be surprised if the insurance company totals the Airstream too. If it were me that's what I'd want. Take the opportunity to start over fresh with something else. Wish the OP the best in this terrible situation.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 08:55 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Celina , Texas
First pic is totally destroyed truck. Third pic is singed truck hooked to a trailer which one is yours?
Journeying America via the "Blue Highways"
-Be Curious, Not Judgemental…Walt Whitman-
Genebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 09:24 AM   #19
ZOZ
3 Rivet Member

2018 23' Flying Cloud
Peru , Illinois
Fire Sale

https://www.motor1.com/news/486681/f...ty-fire-video/

zoz
ZOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 07:52 AM   #20
Everyday is a GIFT !!

2015 30' Classic
Collins , Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Nelson428
Oh my goodness, y’all were blessed to escape that nightmare safe. I have seen one other truck burn like that it was in northern BC. And a MH in the Yukon. They burn fast and ferociously hot. Glad you two are safe. Sounds like you are waiting on a few items however delivery is quite difficult. I’d see what some other dealers may have plus from time to time I have seen propane tanks for sale on this forum. If the dealer has completed all the other repairs I’d be patient if not, I would take my unit to Jackson center. I’m glad y’all are safe what a nightmare of an experience.
AirForums # 66116
Nelson428 is offline   Reply With Quote