Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-07-2007, 06:48 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
RV storage requirements

Do RV storage companies typically require a copy of your registration and insurance (for RV)?
I understand the liability on the storage facilities part, but I’m a bit nervous about giving someone an actual copy of this info…
Wouldn’t just showing them the info be adequate?
It seems to me a lot of mischief could be done, with that information, by unscrupulous parties…

It started me wondering… with regards to a vehicle, the SOS office recommends not leaving copies of your reg/insurance in your glove box….
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:14 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I think it varies between places, but I don't think it's too uncommon for them to ask for proof of insurance and registration to be kept on file. Not that I am for giving away info that isn't needed, but I seem to recall a while back reading about how some folks were using storage places as meth lab kitchens. Could be just a precaution for them.

In the end, if the storage place was good and I felt it was the best place to store, I'd have little reservation. If they asked for SSN, DOB, specific work info, salary, and other specific items, I would not provide those.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 08:48 AM   #3
Formerly FreshAir44

2008 23' Safari SE
Seattle , Washington
We put our AS into a beautiful RV storage place and we signed a Rental Agreement that just asked for our insurance carrier and policy #. I think they also took a copy of our registration information - I think much of state vehicle information is considered public and easy to get. We also signed alot of paperwork on making sure we understood our financial obligations. The most interesting paper we signed was agreeing to the fact that we would let them know if we were taking the unit out of storage for more than 2 weeks. Apparently lots of folks just leave and never show again and they don't want to be left waiting . . . and losing the opportunity to rerent.

In WA we have two pieces of paper, registration and proof of insurance, that are required to be shown when stopped. One is 8X11. You wouldn't be able to easily have this with you at all times so I think you really have to leave them in the glovebox.

Good luck!
FOILED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
in a way, i like the id check. it is nice to know that at some places, someone else could not store my trailer. mostly it's just a way for them to track you down for anything you might owe them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalcutjoe
Do RV storage companies typically require a copy of your registration and insurance (for RV)?
I understand the liability on the storage facilities part, but I’m a bit nervous about giving someone an actual copy of this info…
Wouldn’t just showing them the info be adequate?
It seems to me a lot of mischief could be done, with that information, by unscrupulous parties…

It started me wondering… with regards to a vehicle, the SOS office recommends not leaving copies of your reg/insurance in your glove box….
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 11:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
thanks everybody...
even though its better to be occasionally swindled, than eternally paranoid...
i still like to be prudent
boondockdad is offline   Reply With Quote