Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-06-2003, 02:28 AM   #1
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
RV Insurance ~ Fulltimers & Snowbirds

I hope this will be seen by those who really need to be involved with me in this quest.

I looked and looked and could not find a Forum on RV Insurance...if anyone knows if there is one, please PM me and tell me how to locate it, and I'll have this Thread deleted... I started one in another Forum, but realized today that it is for Airstream MotorHOMES...and doesn't reach the masses of us who have trailable coaches.

I would like to know if anyone has information on insurance for FULL-TIMING. In other words, NOT for full-timing when you have a "Garaged-Address" (back home somewhere---where you keep all your furniture, etc...and have that insured too.) NO...what I'm talking about, is when you "downsize" and do NOT have a 'garaged address" anymore....and are in your Airstream 24/7---24/365. Good Sam requires the 'garaged address'...and so does the insurance company I have had for 27 years (one of "The Big 3"...but, my company requires the 'g.a." too.

I've been told there is one called "Foremost". Does anyone have any knowledge in this area.

On a light note of this subject, I just wanted to share this. I've just 'coined' a phrase about insurance...

WHEN YOU HAVE IT...YOU DON'T NEED IT...
WHEN YOU NEED IT...YOU DON'T HAVE IT.

I've also heard, one rate is if I fulltime in it or not & I think this is about the coach itself...& then, the question would be... HOW MUCH ARE THE CONTENTS COVERED FOR?
i.e.,
I found that fulltiming you get only 20% of the value of the whole rig; i.e., a coach value of $20,000, you'd get $4,000 in contents covered.
When I was told this, I squeeked..."my computer and audio/visual equipment are worth that much alone!...what about my clothing, kitchen equipment, linens, cameras, etc.?"...and they said,
"well, if you have a "garaged address" those items would be covered under that 'umbrella'. " The 'garaged address' you can have any amount you want to pay for (so much money per $10,000 worth of 'contents'.)
BUT, WITHOUT a 'garaged address"...that means all you have is in your coach...OR, you have some things in a storage locker somewhere. AND
I found that if you have items stored in a storage facility, the insurance there maxes out at something like $10,000---and it's very expensive.
To me, this is all very discriminating AGAINST those who sell off everything and 'hit the road'. & by that, I don't mean, as a "snowbird" who usually have a home to go back to once a year,,,
,,, moreover, I'm referring to those who live 'fulltime' in one park for a few months---chasing the sun,,,with no 'home' (house) to go back to, but rather, have excess items in storage somewhere.

I haven't yet looked into what Foremost &/or Progressive quote for their rates for these variances. All I know is that State Farm will NOT cover much for me to 'hit the road'. & I've been with them 27 years.
(Got to call my agent again---I've forgotten almost all he's told me. He'll prob be happy to have me switch, just so he can stop repeating these coverages to me all the time.)

OMG! This one (below) must of happened when the owner was 'catching a few winks' by the side of the road. Wal*Mart was just too far away.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:29 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

perm address

Seems from what I have read that most fulltimers have an address of some sort, whether a relatives or one obtained thru a mail service. It is very difficult today to operate without some address. You can get a POBOX before you sell your home but not after last I checked. This info will not help with an umbrella coverage policy but perhaps someone else can help there....please post what you discover...jem
zduke4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2003, 11:08 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Insurance

Here in the Province of Manitoba, my household insurance covers the contents of my trailer. I check in with them for riders every year.
Gordon Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 11:36 PM   #4
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
"Garaged" Address

In the State of Washington...you MUST have a "garaged address"...and what the underwriters have determined this to mean (their criteria)...is the place you have the 'majority' of your personal (insured) affects. They come out an inspect it (from the outside), and in one case, my agent liked the storage place where I had my stuff stored, that he pushed it through as my address (it was a "0000" Main Street, #88, Anywhere, WA 98000 address)...not a P.O. Box. And sure, you can use a P.O. Box,,,,but if you have $20,000 worth of contents...and your rig only covers $3,000 (10% of the rig value)...then,,,
What are you going to do about the remaining $17,000...?
I have to check with the policies in BC...and I also want to know about California...
anyone from "Cali"....?
Old 10-23-2010, 07:48 AM   #5
Jack and Diane

Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Progressive carries a "fulltimers package" and does not require a garaged address. Check availability in your state. RV Insurance Coverages - Full Timer's Package
juntz is offline   Reply With Quote