Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2004, 01:08 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Oversight

rjreed
Wishing you well in the recovery of your stolen unit.
Here I was thinking, for the last several yrs, "Our unit is safe and sound because of it's stored location." Your loss puts a whole new light on matters.
I'm gonna look into the lojack idea..That could be the cheapest price for peace of mind..by far..
We'll keep an eye out in the NE area for you..
Since the factory doesn't keep or maintain a list, maybe we could get "WBCCI" to keep a running list in each magazine issue, at least until the unit is recovered~!!..
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 07:04 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
Regarding NADA values and insurance, one of the reason I am chosing Foremost to insurance my Bambi is because of their replacement cost coverage. For the first 10 years, if anything happens, they will replace it with a new one, no matter how much the cost of a new one has increased.

When I was shopping used AS, lenders would only lend against the NADA value which was WAY below what units were selling like hotcakes for.

Too much insurance is better than not enough!

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 07:29 AM   #43

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Paul,

You might want to recheck that. I had the same coverage with Foremost and it was total replacement for the first 5 years. Years 6-10 was the original cost of the trailer. Have they recently changed that policy???

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 10:14 AM   #44

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Doesn't anyone offer declaired value insurance on trailers? I'd be happy to pay more knowing they'd actually cover my trailer enough to fix or replace it if anything happened to it. I have State Farm, and their only saving grace is that all of our insurance is through them, so if the time comes that they have to pay up, they'll have to make us happy or they'll be losing a lot of business. I hope we never have to find out!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 10:42 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Los Angeles , California
It's nice to believe that this is how they would operate, but State Farm, Farmers, or any of the big insurance players would drop you or me like a hot potatoe to make thier bottom line numbers work. I have rarely had good experiences collecting claims from insurance companies, but mostly bad. I had Farmers drop me over a stolen vehicle, and I ended up paying the loan off myself...after getting the car back totally stripped.

Truth is, aside from corporate scum, there are some really horrible people out there. The more desperate times become with the economy the way it is, and unemployment up...the more desperate acts of crime we will see. Opportunist of this nature will be looking everywhere, including your trash cans, (to steal you indentity). Paranoia is not a way to live, but preventative measures can help a little.

I think when it comes to stealing an Airstream trailer, the only good punishment I can think up...is a good old fashioned linching by the forum members!
Old 03-18-2004, 10:44 AM   #46
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by Stefrobrts
Doesn't anyone offer declaired value insurance on trailers? I'd be happy to pay more knowing they'd actually cover my trailer enough to fix or replace it if anything happened to it. I have State Farm, and their only saving grace is that all of our insurance is through them, so if the time comes that they have to pay up, they'll have to make us happy or they'll be losing a lot of business. I hope we never have to find out!
Steph... I don't think you'll find anyone who does declared value, but if you want your "Classic" trailer insured for it's current value, you'll need to have an appraisal done, just like for a "Classic" car.

A few years ago, when I had the '61 Bambi insured, I declared the value at $6,000, and since there was no one within a hundred miles who could properly appraise it, I submitted a number of for sale ads for '61 to '63 Bambis that supported the $6,000 as a legitimate market value. My insurance company accepted that as proof of value.

Check with your agent and see what your carrier requires.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 12:21 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
LoJack

LoJack is definetly an extra safety device. It can't be the only one.
The system they sell for trailers is the same they use for 18wheelers (by the way I posted a super lojack/Amex offer not too long ago). It does not sound an alarm and unless you notice your AS has been removed the system will not tell you!
Once you realize you call the authorities and Lojack and they turn the system on.
This is great for larger trailers. Smaller ones can be put on an 18wheeler and that metal box could disturb the satellite signal.

Different companies make motion alarms for rigs which can be used on our AS. They're quite expensive. Also if you mount one of these loud alarms on, you better make sure you park it close by or if it starts ringing and you're not there, some frustrated neighbour may attack it, to shut it off.

It's really tough to be ahead of these thieves!
Old 03-18-2004, 12:27 PM   #48
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Instead of the LoJack .. take a look at this ....

Python GPS Tracking System

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 12:50 PM   #49
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Porky,

That looks like the Onstar system, but as an aftermarket device. Kinda cool if you are not worried about who will use the data.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 06:04 PM   #50
doh
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Manchaca , Texas
Foremost

jcanavera is correct as far as I know - I have Foremost on a 99 Safari, I'm not the original owner - but it is covered for the price I paid for the trailer. There is no doubt about that.

I was told by Foremost that the replacement deal was for 5 years from new - to the original owner.
doh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 12:04 AM   #51

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally posted by nellie the elephant
It's nice to believe that this is how they would operate, but State Farm, Farmers, or any of the big insurance players would drop you or me like a hot potatoe to make thier bottom line numbers work. I have rarely had good experiences collecting claims from insurance companies, but mostly bad. I had Farmers drop me over a stolen vehicle, and I ended up paying the loan off myself...after getting the car back totally stripped.
Bummer. The main reason we've stuck with State Farm is because they treated us very fairly back around '95 when we managed to total two cars within a year of each other, both my husband's fault (he was a little accident prone back then). They paid out, didn't raise our rates, and didn't drop us. So in return they get our loyalty. But I like to say that I am optimistic, but not naive.

Hopefully if anything happens they will continue to take care of us. After all, paying out fair market value on a vintage trailer isn't even going to come close to what they have to pay out when you trash a new SUV. Really it's small potatoes for them to keep us paying all those premiums year after year.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 02:40 AM   #52
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
Sorry to hear about your dilemma!

I can’t imagine what it would be like to wake up one day and find you’re A/S trailer missing. I agree that this is the place to discuss the situation. With so many A/S’ers on this forum someone might just spot it on the road. You never know! I think everyone on here will have it on their mind and keep an extra eye out for it.

Keep us posted !

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 11:53 AM   #53
3 Rivet Member

Ralph,
I read your message about your safari being stolen. I have been sitting here thinking of what you can do.
Let's face it, Dekalb county is not going do anything, you may get it back from them if they happen to trip over it.
I lived in Dekalb most of my life. Now, i live a little further up Buford Hwy in Suwanee.
It may still be in the area, you need to create flyers and put them in the windows of drugstores, markets etc. Everywhere you can that people come together. Include info in Spainish if possible. Most of the people in that area are hispanic.
Airstreams are - rare most people look at them even if they don't have one. Those of us that do have them really look for them.
The outstanding feature on yours is the spare tire, that might be removed by now, if you can think of something readily seen indicate it, a bump, scratch or missing lugnut. The replaced window helps.
There are security cameras everywhere now. Check other business in that area to see if they have one of the night in question.
Someone might have a picture with your unit being loaded up. Don't take no as an answer. The cameras are there.
It sounds to me like a inside job, are the ppl at the storage facility bonded? Have there been other complaints lodged against them.
And stay on the back of the Dekalb County police department, keep calling and bugging them.

You did all you could do to make sure your unit was secure.

Right now I am going to drive down Buford Hwy looking for your unit.
Best of luck

Tom & Betsy
WBCCI #6978

There are two ways to die in the desert.
One is by thirst and the other is drowning.
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 11:56 AM   #54
3 Rivet Member

also notify the different travel trailers dealers in the atlanta area, ask if you can put up the flyer. and by all means notify Airstream dealer located in the Lithia Springs area. the name escapes me at the moment. Atlanta Auto Wholesales or something like that.

Tom & Betsy
WBCCI #6978

There are two ways to die in the desert.
One is by thirst and the other is drowning.
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 12:10 PM   #55
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by Stefrobrts

Bummer. The main reason we've stuck with State Farm is because they treated us very fairly back around '95 when we managed to total two cars within a year of each other, both my husband's fault (he was a little accident prone back then). They paid out, didn't raise our rates, and didn't drop us. So in return they get our loyalty. But I like to say that I am optimistic, but not naive.

Hopefully if anything happens they will continue to take care of us. After all, paying out fair market value on a vintage trailer isn't even going to come close to what they have to pay out when you trash a new SUV. Really it's small potatoes for them to keep us paying all those premiums year after year.
I think a lot of it has to do with your agent. My agent is awsome!
I have been insured through him since I was 16 (20 years). They kept me insured through my teen years even after a couple of wrecks. My agent was at my house 10 minutes after I called him when we got flooded and HE called the companies to come dry the place out.

NOBODY has ever beat my rates and plenty have tried. I have 4 vehicles, Airstream, redneck special trailer and my house insured with them. My mothers home and car is also insured with them.

Get a good agent and you will have good luck.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 02:42 PM   #56
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Limited
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Lightbulb postitve ID

it's worth considering joining the WBCCI
you can be a Member At Large. New Airstreams often come with memberships for a year.
then you are really in a network of Airstreams, but mostly you have numbers on your rig. if you have these numbers for any lenght of time when you remove them you can still see them, untill a lot of work is done to remove the ghost numbers.
if your rig was stolen and you could say it's number #### then it would be so much easier to spot it.
I wonder if we could find stats on the number of rigs stolen with WBCCI numbers as opposed to with out.
I also think they are being taken by pros. I live in Texas and they say a car every ten minutes enters Mexico never to be seen again, I know many people who have had their new cars taken.
I am sorry for your loss it's terrible and I hope we can find it or you can figure out a way to replace it, good luck we feel your pain!
CatStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 07:35 PM   #57
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I made copies of the orginal post and sent them to our branch offices. Our HR department is going to send them out with the pay checks. We have crews in 9 states at the moment. Several of our guys own and live in TT while on the road. At the moment I am the only one with an AS. One of the guys used to have a Silver Streak though.
Good luck with the search and hope it gets found soon. BTW Drove from DC to Fayetteville, NC on I-95 today and did not see a single AS

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 07:43 PM   #58
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally posted by wahoonc
I made copies of the orginal post and sent them to our branch offices. Our HR department is going to send them out with the pay checks. We have crews in 9 states at the moment. Several of our guys own and live in TT while on the road. At the moment I am the only one with an AS. One of the guys used to have a Silver Streak though.
Good luck with the search and hope it gets found soon. BTW Drove from DC to Fayetteville, NC on I-95 today and did not see a single AS

Aaron
Well done, Aaron!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 11:55 PM   #59

Send a message via AIM to rvmaster
RJ
Sure sorry to hear about your unit.
We have heard of two stolen units here in the Great Smokey mountains in the last two weeks. One airstream and one montana fifth wheel.
I think some theft ring is a foot!
We are only two hours from you.
I work in all the campgrounds in western NC and north georgia. Been doing RV service for 31 years this year and our season is just about to begin.
Myself and staff will be on the lookout, if it was stashed here in my mountains we will find it.
Good luck and God Bless.
Rvmaster Appalachian RV
rvmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 12:10 AM   #60

I have recently been bit by the A/S bug and I am looking to purchase a small Bambi or Caravell in the Atlant area. As I am sure you all know when you are looking for an A/S you see them everywhere. I live in the Canton area and work around Hw 75 and 285. I was out past 85 and Jimmy Carter where I noticed a trailer park and the back side of what looked like a warehouse for travel trailers. I will be back out there over the next couple of weeks and I will keep my eyes open for your lost safari.

I am sorry for your loss but it looks like you have a good bit of support trying to find your lost trailer.

Keep us posted
Mgharrison is offline   Reply With Quote