Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2004, 09:39 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
That's the scarie part..

nickcrowhurst
Quote:
In the past, I have been accustomed to APW, "All Ports Warning". Nick.
I hate to voice a "gut feeling" that this thing could be headed for just such;
Either driven over the border or, shipped overseas~!!
~

ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 09:46 AM   #22
Rivet Master

yes, but I'm in the UK, Bruno is in France, some are surely in Mexico....... I once investigated a vicious assault in a small town in south-west England. A year later I found the crucial witness in Hampton, New Brunswick, Canada, just by asking the right questions in the right places, and being persistent. Tracing a 29 foot aluminium box is not the most challenging of investigations! Nick.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:57 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Newborn , Georgia
The spare tire carrier on the rear slides into a receiver hitch. It is/was also locked. The hitch receiver is welded on a separate carrier bolted to the trailer frame. If the spare tire and carrier are removed, the hitch receiver may still be there unless they remove the separate carrier structure from the trailer frame.

The only other distinguishable feature upon close scrutiny is, the front window on the right side (curbside) was replaced by the previous owner. Most folks probably wouldn't observe the difference unless they compared it to all the other windows.

We appreciate everyones input, suggestions, condolences and prayers. Some encouragement.....some discouagement. It was rather disheartening when we filed the police report and they asked us what color it was!
rjreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 11:48 AM   #24
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Not overseas...

Hi rjreed;
I'm really sorry for you about your A/S.

Of course, I'll have a look on the roads in FRANCE, and especially in the North where I drive a lot of kilometers or miles... , near the road traffic triangular UK / FRANCE / BELGIUM - NEDERLAND- GERMANY.

So I really doubt that it's possible to import a stolen A/S in Europe.

European customs are very serious and they control all datas before you get away with your vehicle; don't forget you cannot ship this trailer in a container; Only in specialized boats in specifics ports as Le HAVRE in FRANCE, or ZEEBRUGGE in BELGIUM.

So your A/S is too much recent and there is too much taxes to earn money on it in Europe; Impossibble too to ride on roads because regulations don't accept this trailers except if it's a collectible one ( more than 25 years old).

So be patient and trust in the US authorities and in our community to find your silver jewel.

Best regards from FRANCE.

Bruno.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 12:28 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Quote:
European customs are very serious and they control all datas before you get away with your vehicle; don't forget you cannot ship this trailer in a container; Only in specialized boats in specifics ports as Le HAVRE in FRANCE, or ZEEBRUGGE in BELGIUM.
This is absolutely true!

We have done extensive prep research to try to take our Titan to Italy, it is a very long and meticulous process. Not impossible but you do need tons of paperwork which obviously these thieves don't have.

Quote:
We have it in our power to make a difference FOR EACH OTHER. Rather than be victims, Let's DO something!
You nailed it Roger!

We can and we will!!

The people who did this are no dummies or lazy. They went through a lot of trouble to get that specific trailer. Shows determination but also intention. that's what they wanted and that's what they got. Probably it's true, nothing could've stopped them, but now WE CAN!

Personally I have the following theories:

1) If these thieves are supplying AS for public demand abroad, they must be a highly organized ring and I hate to say this but they must know Airstreams....(what is good, what to steal etc.). They need to be able to falsify necessary documents for export and be able to store the rigs before departure. Not hide them, let's not forget that the best place to hide something is right beneath everybody's eyes, (you're not going to be suspicious of an AS parked in someon's driveway. Yet you may want to check it out if it's parked in some field or isolated barn).
In this case we must be alert for where the demand is coming from. For example if it were Japan we can contact the local AS community there (someone posted their address some time ago - great big community) and let them know, ask for their help...in other words get them involved! We're all AS lovers I'm sure they'd love to help. It's a common cause.

2) These thefts are run by a small group of thieves who simply act on request. Someone is looking for a particular year and footage, they post a "looking for ad" and these thieves reply: "We have what you've been searching, unfortunately it was my uncle's who passed away and we can't find it's title, but as soon as we do we'll mail it to you" etc.
This has happened before and it wouldn't surprise me at all if someone out there is carrying it out right now. After all the lie sounds real and if they act well enough I'm sure they could trick a whole bunch of buyers who in good faith trust them and later get...

I agree that the "parts" theory sounds to complicated and less remunitive to be possible.

Anyway, why don't we start a thread - section (as Roger suggested) to act as a database for all stolen AS. Pics and all details should definetly be included. Also I would urge for it to include all states and nations.

This way every member (all over the world) could periodically print the list of stolen AS and keep his eyes open.

Maybe a moderator can figure the best way to do this. Any suggestions?
Old 03-17-2004, 12:39 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
My career was spent doing investigations in large multinational corporations - auto, ag and construction mostly.

We maintained a corporate-wide data bank of our company's stolen equipment, not only for our own internal use and provided to law-enforcement, but also shared with our dealers.

I wonder if Thor or Airstream has something similar. If not, they should. Mr. Reed, you might want to contact someone at the Airstream's headquarters regarding your loss.

John
Old 03-17-2004, 12:56 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Great idea John!! let's keep them coming!
Old 03-17-2004, 01:04 PM   #28
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Reward for Stolen 1999 27' Airstream Safari

rjreed,

Send me a picture of the rig to Ruth@BMG-Specialties.com. I can't open pictures from the system at work, but she can. I live in Chattanooga and will be keeping an eye out for your Airstream. I am so sorry this has happened to you. Hang in there. There are a lot of folks on this site that do know what color it is and can recognize the differences! Hopefully you will get her back soon!

You might also want to list this on Airstream.com and Airstream. net. One of them is solely for vintage models, but the folks will surely understand this situation!
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 01:13 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Newborn , Georgia
We did contact the Airstream Customer Service. They were as sympathetic as possible, but don't have any kind of database to track these thefts. They were the ones who suggested we post a message on this forum and their Airstreamer forum.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:15 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Richmond , Virginia
For those interested, Lojack is $695 installed. They come to your home to do it, so no travel or pick-up/delivery issues. It cannot be transferred to another unit as it is permanently identified to the VIN of the vehicle on which it is first installed.

I checked Formost. They do not currently offer a reduced premium for units with Lojack.

I'm seriously thinking about it.......

WBCCI #2468
2006 Ford F-150 Lariart 4X4
2004 19' Bambi Safari LS
luckydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 01:45 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Los Angeles , California
Now that I am completely paraniod about my classic getting stolen (from a storage yard), I think Lojac will be the answer.

rjreed, I am feeling your pain. To me, it would be like losing a family member.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:06 PM   #32

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
We have been using storage facilities for our business merchandise for almost 10 years now. The first was just a fenced storage lot, which not only made us nervous because it didn't feel safe, but had a huge fire from someone storing dirty paint rags that caught fire, and burned down the building next to ours! The next storage facility had a live-on-site manager, but twice a month they'd have auctions of abandoned storage units, and so on those days the gates were open all day and strangers were wandering around - not good. The latest facility we use is fenced, the managers live on site, and they don't hold public auctions. It feels very safe and secure, and the managers see everything that comes and goes, as do their dogs who patrol the yard. I would not feel worried about leaving my AS there if I had to, except worrying about strangers parking next to it and scratching it up, like happened to KYGirl. So be careful and choosy about your storage facility, because there's lots of different types.

I like the lojac idea. I'd be crazy if anyone took my little trailer.

So, rjreed, I hate to ask but was it insured, and was it covered? It's tough times like this that we find out if our insurance really works or not.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 02:23 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Newborn , Georgia
Yes, it was insured. Since it was stolen last week, the insurance company waits about 3 to 4 weeks to see if it's going to turn up. We'll have to wait and see what happens with the coverage. We understand from talking to the Airstream Customer Service folks, that insurance companies will try to use NADA values which are out of touch with Airstream market values.......they don't understand the Airstream product.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:25 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
I store my MH like Stef does now...

...and I feel safe about it. I know that a trailer is easier to cart away, and I'll say that you must feel violated for this to have happened. Drive on and keep your chin up...this too shall pass.

At the risk of being insensitive, since I don't know the particulars very well, have you considered the owners (if not you) of this private storage area? One never knows who their true friends are, truly, the heart is evil. Sorry if this is too close to reality.
Astrodokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 02:31 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Alarms

I am fairly new to the AS world and was wondering do they have an alarm system for Travel Trailers, Motorhomes that works on the same concept as cars i.e. once touched, moved emits a piercing alarm? We are in the beginning stages of restoring our "gem" that we have waited so long for and rj, my heart truly goes out to you and your family...so many memories and great times are attached to our homes away from home. We owned a houseboat for four years, moored in a Marina, and thieves tried to break into the sliding glass door, (which had a deadbolt lock)damaging the door frame so we installed a deck alarm that measured the weight on the deck and could distinquish between animal weight and human weight, sounding an incredible alarm. Staying a step ahead of the criminal mind is tough!
RJ, I will notify the authorities here in the East Texas area and will be on the lookout personally. Hwy 59 South to Houston goes right through Lufkin. It looks like "America's Most Wanted" is alive and well on Airstream Forum.

Silverlassie
silverlassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 05:41 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Currently Looking...
Cartersville , Georgia
RJ-
So very sorry to hear about the Safari...we will be keeping a look out for her up here in Maryland, Delaware and PA. I will pray that it turns up and get the word out to fellow airstreamers we know who aren't a part of this forum (shame on them anyway!). Good luck.

Melissa
Tin Can Crabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 06:25 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

I will keep an eye out for it here in case they brought it up north to Canada. And if I find it I will send your trailer back in one piece and the thieves back in several!!!

bbb
biggerbadbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 06:34 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
Man, that is a true horror story. I am real sorry to hear it. That is one of the greatest fears of all- much worse than losing a car. It's more like your entire house being removed and stolen. Keep us posted as to how it turns out. Sounds like the forum members will be out looking.

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 07:14 PM   #39
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Sorry to hear about your loss. I am working in Northern VA, back into central NC. I will watch for it along the I-95 corridor.

Hope you hear something soon.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 07:16 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Bummer. Sorry for your loss. I will keep an eye out for one heading down the interstates here. As you know, Airstreamers notice everything silver that moves or hides in the bushes. I rarely see any on the move, so yours should be easy to spot with a white spare tire cover.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote