Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2015, 08:24 PM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Pleasant Surprise with Progressive

I've insured with Progressive since I bought my Airstream back in the fall of 2003. There were 4 big reasons why I went with them.

First was the fact that my price included a road side policy that would tow the Airstream. It also covered towing both the Airstream and the tow vehicle if the tow vehicle was disabled (I carry AAA, and have a different insurance carrier for my tow vehicle).

Second was a disappearing deductable. Each year for the first 4 years with no claims, my copay deductible was reduced. Now it is 0.

Third was the fact that since I insured new with them, I had total replacement coverage if the Airstream was totaled in its first 5 years. After year 5, I would receive the price I paid for the Airstream if it was totaled. I thought that coverage ended after 10 years.

My surprise tonight was rechecking the policy on my renewal this year only to find that there is no time limit on the policy. As long as I own the Airstream and stay with Progressive, the trailer will always be covered for the original value that I paid for the trailer. Apparently I wasn't listening well enough when I spoke to the agent back in '03 and thought that after year 10, I'd be reverting to actual cash value.

Just to be sure I called tonight and rechecked and the policy will totally cover the trailer up to its original purchase price. I'm not sure if that policy is still being offered today, but if it is, it bears your consideration.

My fourth consideration was price and Progressive, when you look at the coverage was much less than other stand alone policies.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 08:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
That is good to know for owners of new AS, and important.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
How has Progressive been with yearly rate increases? I am coming up on my first year with them.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Mine renews next month, but we will be rewriting the policy in SD rather than AL. On my TV policy, the rate went from $456 to $290 for for identical coverage. I had also earned an 18% snapshot discount but now that we are in a new state, I will have to do the snapshot program again.

When I asked them about adding full-timers coverage the agent quoted me a price of $90 a year to the AL policy. I don't know what the SD rate will be but it should be much less than AL. Right now, we are paying $801 for full coverage on the AS.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I am with Nationwide because the Progressive quotes are always 10% higher than Nationwide. I check once or twice a year.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:11 AM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
How has Progressive been with yearly rate increases? I am coming up on my first year with them.

This coming year my rate is increasing $5 monthly. The total price increase over the past 5 years has totaled $11 monthly. I'm actually paying less than I was for years 1-5, but those years had replacement coverage no matter the cost of the new trailer. I pay more overall than a policy from my auto insurance company, but for all intents once you get to year 6 and beyond the policy is technically an agreed value policy with the total loss amount tied to the value of the trailer when it was new.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:45 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Thank you, I live in a state that for all practical purposes the insurance companies control the state insurance board and do what ever they want to do without fear. I fully expect my trailers rates to get jacked up an obscene amount. I should probably start shopping around for a new policy just in case. The first year usually seems to be a good rate just to get the business and then all bets are off.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:14 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Michael,
We're in Alabama, apparently the things you say about your state insurance commision is also true in Alabama. People say what they want about "the good old boys", but until they live in one of the southern states, they have no idea how the "good old boys" operate.
They do have a pretty simple method though, and that is, "If you pay the right people the right amount of money, you can do whatever you want".
Sad but true!

For whatever it's worth,
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Thank you, I live in a state that for all practical purposes the insurance companies control the state insurance board and do what ever they want to do without fear. I fully expect my trailers rates to get jacked up an obscene amount. I should probably start shopping around for a new policy just in case. The first year usually seems to be a good rate just to get the business and then all bets are off.
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:18 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
I am loyal only to one insurance company, USAA, which I have used on my older AS. But they don't have Full Replacement Cost Ins and with the cost of my 2016 so expensive I thought replacement is the way to go. I learned two things: read the fine print, many replacement cost carriers have the option to pick your replacement, even if it is not an AS, cheap trick. Second, apples to apples the cost for the same coverage varies a lot ( given you are comparing within the same State, and State to State obviously varies in cost big time). I am in Michigan, high cost, and pretty much for no reason (no hail, tornadoes, hurricanes etc. ). I compared all the replacement cost carriers in the U.S., that will guarantee a replacement brand to brand and model to model and options etc. I found Blue Sky by far the best value out there, rated A+ BBB. Their annual policy was 30% lower than Progressive, my second choice.
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:21 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
East Greenbush , New York
I had the same experience as Jack. I've got the same coverage from Progressive.

Starting in year 6, the rates DO go down a bit, but the policy switches from replacement to agreed-upon value.

I asked for the MSRP on my 2006 Bambi 19', and Progressive accepted that.

Of course, Airstream prices have gone up almost 50% since 2006. But it would be a big down payment for a new one, should I need a new one (God forbid!).
heitkergm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:26 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Hard to beat USAA if you qualify to join.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:26 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have State Farm on my car, SUV, pickup, motorcycle, and camper, plus a life insurance policy. There is a multi-car discount, a multi-line discount, and a safe driving discount. On the SUV and motorcycle I only have liability and uninsured motorist. Even though the pickup is paid off, I still keep full coverage because the value is still quite high. Of course, the new car and Airstream have full coverage because I owe a note on them. I can't remember making a claim on any of these policies.
The house is with Nationwide. As far as I can tell, Nationwide is fair. We got a new roof recently. The Nationwide appraiser/adjuster gave almost an identical quote as the roofer. Neither guy had any communication with each other.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:27 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I wonder what replacement cost insurance would cost. Original cost insurance would only be a down payment on a new trailer. The trailers are way more expensive now than they were then.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:30 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
East Greenbush , New York
I've only seen replacement price insurance offered on new trailers (within a few model years - like 5 with Progressive).

I would expect that the premiums might be quite high.

2006 Safari Bambi 19'
2017 Silverado LT Z71 Double Cab 1500
heitkergm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:31 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
You folks w fairly new AS's get ins. easier than us vintage owners. A lot depends on the state. In SC virtually all carriers will insure AS's over 10 yrs old at a set rate of depreciation which puts a $15,000 trailer at insurable value in the 3 to 4,000 $ range. Some ins co's say they will insure at an agreed upon amount, but they will never agree on an amount any where near the market value. Some will insure at an appraised value, but in my case, I would have to tow 400 miles to the only acceptable appraiser. They are also very suspicious of trailers that have been restored. Mine is insured with State Farm on my home owner's policy for about half the value I place on it plus about $1500 for contents. Progressive would not even talk to me.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:38 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
Any Claims Experience with Progressive?

Great thread!

We're 1st time buyers and our dealer has warned against Progressive because of poor track record in valuing AS in the event of a major claim.

Has anyone here has any claims experience with them? I think I'll visit some other areas of the forum as well to see what folks are saying. Thanks!
melindamcmul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:46 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I would call Progressive and talk to them. Your dealer is most likely getting a referral payment from whoever he steers you to.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:52 AM   #18
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
We just switched over to Full timers with Progressive. Great rates! Oddly, the full-timers is cheaper than the 30 day use a year coverage. My theory is they expect higher damages sitting in one place all year. Odd. Just a theory.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:57 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
We went with Progressive back in 2008 because every other company wanted to write the insurance based on a blue book value. Well, we don't have an "off the floor" AS. We needed insurance coverage on our custom built AS. Progressive was willing to look at our detailed invoice for building the trailer and insure us for replacement value of that value. The other companies didn't even have a method for doing something like that. We've been very please with them ever since - disappearing deductible, premium costs, etc.
WBCCI - #4335
2005 Diesel Excursion
2008 31' Custom Classic "Moonshine"
2016 Interstate "BugOut"
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:08 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
No USAA in NC

USAA does not underwrite RV insurance in NC; they sub it out to Progressive.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote