Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2019, 10:54 AM   #1
ers
New FC 25' Owner

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Richmond , Virginia
Newbie questions about A/S insurance

Hi all!! My 1st post!! Will be picking up our new 2019 FC 25FB-T early Jan 2020! Very excited! Got a great deal from A/S dealer that is part of Camping World/ Good Sam network.

So when we went in to sign final paperwork, we weren’t prepared for a 2+ hour sales pitch. Offered all sorts of additional Good Sam insurance that was available ONLY for purchase on that day. That should have been a red flag right there, but being first time travel trailer buyers, we were overly cautious and fell for it.

With the A/S purchase, we apparently already get 1 year of free Good Sam travel insurance & 3 years of Airstream’s Coach-Net Roadside Assistance.

In addition, we agreed to buy 5 years of: Good Sam Platinum Vehicle Service Contract at $4,428, Tire & Wheel Protection at $1,030, Roadside Assistance at $699, and Travel Insurance at $676.

So our question is what is the REAL value of these add-on services? Has anyone bought these plans? Were services provided as promised? Most importantly, was it worth the money??

By the way, we never really got any details on what is included in the 3 years of Airstream’s Coach-Net Roadside Assistance. Asked the dealer after the fact and was told we would get the info when we pick up our A/S. Anyone have details or experience with Airstream’s Coach-Net Roadside Assistance?

We have dogs, so the story we were told is that tow trucks regularly refuse to take your pets unless you have this coverage where they will in fact have to take your pets. That was a scary piece of information. Thinking about it now, I would guess it would all really just depend on the tow truck driver that is dispatched.

As it was explained to us, the entire warranty coverage situation seems very confusing. For instance, the warranties on non-Airstream equipment (AC, refrigerator, oven, etc.) are all for varying periods of time. But I guess for that $4,428, we could replace a lot of equipment that goes bad if we had to!

And I am thinking about just buying a spare tire for the A/S and cancelling the Tire & Wheel Protection as a similiar addition to our GEICO policy does not include bringing us a replacement/new tire. We are afraid to get stranded in the middle of nowhere, even though I presume that we can tow our 2-axel FC model at slow speeds for a limited distance (not sure what that distance might be??) on 3 (or maybe even 2!!) tires. I see I can buy a Goodyear Endeavor tire (ST225/75R15) with 15” spoke wheel for $225 at eTrailer. Am I wrong by just buying a spare?

We can cancel any or all of it. Leaning toward cancelling it all, but wanted to get the feedback of experienced Airstream travelers. Thanking you in advance! Cheers!
ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 11:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Wow! Cancel all of it, right now! Then do some study on this forum and talk to your insurance agent about your coverage so that you know what you have a don't have.
Beyond the normal insurance on my trailer the only extra I have is Emergency Assistance Plus(through AAA). We have that for all travel in the event there is a hospitalization. A nice feature of that is that if I am hospitalized they will get my trailer back home, because my wife could not.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 12:20 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Cancel for sure!
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 01:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
You have a three year nose to tail warranty from Airstream. Cancel all that crap they sold you. Camping World is famous for the hard sell on services/coverages you don’t need.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 01:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
You have a three year nose to tail warranty from Airstream. Cancel all that crap they sold you. Camping World is famous for the hard sell on services/coverages you don’t need.

Ditto. It’s just a ploy to increase their profit. Put the money in savings account for Airstream maintenance.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 01:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Agree!! I have AAA coverage which I have used by the way. You definitely want something like it.

Also unless the extra coverage comes directly from manufacturer good luck in getting it serviced. I'll never buy another 3rd party warranty ever ever again. Learned the hard way.

These companies make a ridiculous amount on these warranties.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 04:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Cancel, Cancel, Cancel

....’nuf said
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 06:08 AM   #8
ers
New FC 25' Owner

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Richmond , Virginia
Thanks all for your replies. Seems pretty consistent of an answer! Will do!

But I didn't get any info on the 3 years of Airstream’s Coach-Net Roadside Assistance??

Can you tow your A/S with a blown tire on one axel like I asked? For how far?

And does anyone carry a spare A/S tire to limit the possibility of getting stranded on the road?

Thanks again!
ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 06:11 AM   #9
1Boyscout

2015 28' International
Edmond , Oklahoma
Look at Hartford to insure TT. We own 28' 2015 AS SERENITY. WE were in bad hail storm 2017. Replaced top, All door side, part of rear. Estimate + $42,000. Dealer fixed it like new. I had 250 deductible.
In 2005 I side swiped a pole on a turn marking a ditch. Fixed Jayflight, $5200. I took it in to dealer on Monday, got estimate on Tuesday, got check in mail Thursday! ***** GO Hartford.

I do have Good Sam Roadside Assistance. I used it 3 times in 5 years. All were a good experience. I am not a GS bill board. They do cover all your vehicles and tow in both your Tow Vehicle and TT.
SOME insurance will only tow in your TV a short distance. Better ask what is towed in and how far they will tow it in.
1Boyscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 07:04 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Prince Edward County , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Wow! Cancel all of it, right now! Then do some study on this forum and talk to your insurance agent about your coverage so that you know what you have a don't have.
Beyond the normal insurance on my trailer the only extra I have is Emergency Assistance Plus(through AAA). We have that for all travel in the event there is a hospitalization. A nice feature of that is that if I am hospitalized they will get my trailer back home, because my wife could not.
Larry
Good comment and I agree completely. Other than standard insurance for the trailer, we have extended CAA coverage (CAA is the Canadian version of AAA and is compatible with it). That said, we are considering switching and joining the Family Motor Coach Association which now accepts towable RV's and has excellent coverage (a friend with an Airstream motorhome had to use their roadside assistance and was very pleased).
Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:27 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I have a 2019 25' Int'l twin that has a spare stored underneath at front end of AS. I would like to think you have one there as well. Please check.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:31 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
ers..... I would cancel it all. I have a 2007 25' FB and our trailer came with a spare tire mounted under the front of the trailer in a drop-down bracket. I would check under the front of your trailer for the spare or at least a bracket to hang a spare under the trailer. I believe in having spare tires and would not want to tow my trailer with a flat tire for any distance. If they still have the mounting bracket under the trailer I would pick up a spare wheel and tire and mount it. I have Good Sam's towing service and have used it a few times to change tires on my truck while towing the Airstream. The one thing i found while traveling to Florida is that it is very difficult finding an exact replacement for your tires in the middle of Georgia. I learned that lesson the hard way so I now carry a second spare tire for my trailer and a second spare for my truck in my truck bed on all long trips.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:53 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ers View Post
Hi all!! My 1st post!! Will be picking up our new 2019 FC 25FB-T early Jan 2020! Very excited! Got a great deal from A/S dealer that is part of Camping World/ Good Sam network.

So when we went in to sign final paperwork, we weren’t prepared for a 2+ hour sales pitch. Offered all sorts of additional Good Sam insurance that was available ONLY for purchase on that day. That should have been a red flag right there, but being first time travel trailer buyers, we were overly cautious and fell for it.

With the A/S purchase, we apparently already get 1 year of free Good Sam travel insurance & 3 years of Airstream’s Coach-Net Roadside Assistance.

In addition, we agreed to buy 5 years of: Good Sam Platinum Vehicle Service Contract at $4,428, Tire & Wheel Protection at $1,030, Roadside Assistance at $699, and Travel Insurance at $676.

So our question is what is the REAL value of these add-on services? Has anyone bought these plans? Were services provided as promised? Most importantly, was it worth the money??

By the way, we never really got any details on what is included in the 3 years of Airstream’s Coach-Net Roadside Assistance. Asked the dealer after the fact and was told we would get the info when we pick up our A/S. Anyone have details or experience with Airstream’s Coach-Net Roadside Assistance?

We have dogs, so the story we were told is that tow trucks regularly refuse to take your pets unless you have this coverage where they will in fact have to take your pets. That was a scary piece of information. Thinking about it now, I would guess it would all really just depend on the tow truck driver that is dispatched.

As it was explained to us, the entire warranty coverage situation seems very confusing. For instance, the warranties on non-Airstream equipment (AC, refrigerator, oven, etc.) are all for varying periods of time. But I guess for that $4,428, we could replace a lot of equipment that goes bad if we had to!

And I am thinking about just buying a spare tire for the A/S and cancelling the Tire & Wheel Protection as a similiar addition to our GEICO policy does not include bringing us a replacement/new tire. We are afraid to get stranded in the middle of nowhere, even though I presume that we can tow our 2-axel FC model at slow speeds for a limited distance (not sure what that distance might be??) on 3 (or maybe even 2!!) tires. I see I can buy a Goodyear Endeavor tire (ST225/75R15) with 15” spoke wheel for $225 at eTrailer. Am I wrong by just buying a spare?

We can cancel any or all of it. Leaning toward cancelling it all, but wanted to get the feedback of experienced Airstream travelers. Thanking you in advance! Cheers!
If you need all that in addition to the AS warranty you have problems.
Seriously this is nothing but a ploy to pump up the over all profit margin of the sale. Buyers are excited and not thinking rationally, that is the time to pile on.
Same practice by the car dealers.
I would cancel and get my money back if possible.
BTW Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year with you new rig.
That is what I call a real xmas present to yourselves.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 10:16 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
I have AAA Premium, which covers my trailer in addition to my truck, at approx. $200/yr.

I don't believe you've mentioned property insurance for an RV. I have State Farm for that, so when I swiped the guardrail of a bridge and ran a dent down all of the right side of my AS to the tune of $16K of replacement cost, State Farm ponied up $15,500 with my $500 deductible without any questions or problems.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 12:58 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I had AAA several yrs. ago needed to pick front [simple floor jack would do job] up so could get back on ball after flat bed jumped off on high low crossing. When I called they informed me call for trailer help is not part of AAA coverage Cancelled imed. they could not understand why I cancelled coverage, now have towing thru gasoline co. at $4.00 per Mo. up to $75 per use & have used many times for tow no Q asked promptly pd. bill..
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 02:37 PM   #16
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Cancel. True to form CW sales talk.

Hoping that you shopped price against what you got from CW and someplace like Colonial. Scares me that you got a deal when they tried to load up all of the other stuff but couldn’t explain the bade warranty.

Sounds like Ricky Ricardo saying “Lucy what the heck is going on!!!”
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 03:02 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Grass Lake , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ers View Post
Thanks all for your replies. Seems pretty consistent of an answer! Will do!

But I didn't get any info on the 3 years of Airstream’s Coach-Net Roadside Assistance??

Can you tow your A/S with a blown tire on one axel like I asked? For how far?

And does anyone carry a spare A/S tire to limit the possibility of getting stranded on the road?

Thanks again!
We've had Coachnet or other services on 2 or 3 previous RV's. Our experience is that it is worth exactly what you pay for it, ZERO. Search the forum and you'll see a variety of opinions on it. Some have had better luck than us and swear by them. We also paid for Good Sam roadside assistance when we full-timed. The one time we tried to use it (hydraulic level system on 5er failed) we couldn't get anyone to come & look at it. Ended up fixing problem myself, then cancelled the roadside assistance.

Our AS (FC 30') came with a spare underneath. Doesn't yours? We were told by the dealer that we could tow temporarily with a flat but have never had to test that theory (yet). Have heard from others that it is possible.
oldenavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 06:42 PM   #18
S/O#080

2006 30' Classic S/O
Naples , Florida
Escapees Road Side Assistance program at $99 per year Is, IMHO, a great deal. Have called them twice, help arrived within 1/2 hour problem fixed we are on the road an hour later. I had one tire on AS blow, because of TPMS installed on rubber stem with metal extension. Drove on shoulder of road to exit perhaps 2 miles. Got AS to a safe place and changed the tire ourselves. The AS drove like all tires were fine. Of course we did drive at reduced speed to get off the freeway.
Tschupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 07:55 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
I have a 2019 25' Int'l twin that has a spare stored underneath at front end of AS. I would like to think you have one there as well. Please check.
Good catch! This is an additional black mark on that outfit. Either they removed the spare that comes with the Airstream or they didn’t bother to point out that the AS comes with one. Either pretty bad.

Which dealership (location) was this? They should be avoided big time!
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 08:14 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Cancel.
To add insult to injury, the odds are high that when you needed their insurance, your item wouldn't be covered.
"The wiring? That's considered a wear item, sorry."
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote