Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2003, 10:09 PM   #1

Newbie needs your advice

I will be buying a travel trailer in about 5 months and would like your advice. I love the vintage Airstreams (particularly the 60's models) and was wondering how/or if an Airstream that age would hold up to full-time RV life. Also, would I have trouble and/or extra expense insuring an older Airstream. I also like the '70's Argosys - anyone have a 5th wheel? Would love to see photos of interior. Appreciate any advice you can give.
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2003, 11:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Good luck in whatever you choose Vanessa...sounds like fun!

There's lots of info here on the forum regarding these sorts of topics, I linked to a couple to get you started below. Spend some time in the "search" section to gather info from some older threads. Here are a couple of my initial thoughts for now, I'm sure others will chime in.

If the 60's trailer were well maintained or restored, there's not really any "big red flag" reason that immediately comes to mind why it wouldn't be as conducive to full-time use as a 70's trailer. Some parks have issues with "old trailers", but if they don't want me there, I certainly wouldn't want to stay there anyway! One thing, as far as durability goes is, the 60's trailers cabinets have more solid wood or veneered plywood vs vinyl or tambour in the 70's. The wood panel type doors, in my opinion, are more durable than the tambour.

Another thing you would have to contend with that may help make your choice, is that the 60's trailers don't have grey water tanks, unless they were retrofit during restoration. If you intend on full-timing in RV parks with full hook-ups then it's not an issue. If you would be boondocking you would have to deal with an external tank or "blue belly" daily. It's not a big deal for a couple of days...but full-timing it would get old real quick.

The layout/length would be a bigger issue than the age. I know of some folks who full-time for 6 months at a time in a 19-footer like ours...but for me an Overlander, at 26/27' would be the shortest I would attempt to live in full-time and an Ambassador or Sovereign would be even better.

You don't say where you are located (in your profile) to have an idea of the climate you would be in. If you would be dealing with severe winter weather, you may want to reconsider the whole idea. Airstreams really aren't good in long snowy winter living conditions.

That should be a good headstart on some things to think about ~ beyond that...it's a personal choice.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 08:26 PM   #3

Shari, thanks for the info. Particularly about the grey water tanks. That is the kind of thing I need to find out about. I currently live in Southern Indiana, but plan to travel full-time for a few years and plan to stay away from winter weather. When I mentioned that I wanted a '60's or 70's Airstream, people said they thought a trailer that old would not hold up to full-time use, so I came to this site because who would know better than Airstream owners.
Vanessa is offline   Reply With Quote