Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2004, 05:44 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Need insurance for my Safari

I'm having a little problem getting insurance on my Safari, since I am insured through the company I work for. I bought (OK, making payments) the truck from my boss, and since he holds the title, he insures it, and I pay him (it's cheaper). I don't have much experience with insurance.

My insurance man (for my house and other truck)said that the insurance on the tow vehicle will cover the A/S. But, I want to make sure it has full coverage for theft, hail, tornados, you know. So I'm throwing it out to you all, who will surely know something.

THanks!
Ron
Old 03-17-2004, 06:04 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Depends on the policy. Mine only covers the coach up to certain limits of damage and/or liability while connected to the tow vehicle.

If for some reason I don't setup properly and the coach rolls down a hill and smashes up another coach, no coverage from the auto policy, but the RV policy would then kick in and cover me.

That's one of at least 5 situations I can think of.

Hope that helps.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 06:51 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Kirkwood , Missouri
Trailer Insurance

Insurance on older trailers or cars can be a little tricky. You may feel you have full coverage but much of it depends on Blue book value. A hail storm may cause your trailer $4000.00 in damages but if the insurance value is of the unit is $3500.00 and your deductable is $500.00 you will only collect $3000.00. Which is not bad but still would take $1000.00 out of pocket to fix when you thought your deductable is all you would be out. As mentioned above the only time the tow vehicle coverage covers the trailer is when they are connected. As soon as you un hook your not covered. Hopefully a Vintage Airstreamer will offer other advice for insuring older trailers. I would almost think that some companys may not insure a trailer. And maybe a company out there would specialize in older units or a company like Foremost who specializes in RV's and trailer insurance. Hope this helps
airstreamer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 09:04 PM   #4
doh
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Manchaca , Texas
Exclamation Insurance

Foremost will insure it for the price you paid for the trailer & the premium will reflect that.

In Texas - Auto liability automatically extends to any trailer connected to the insured tow vehicle. Comprehensive, collision, fire & theft is not part of the deal - you need extra coverage from either your auto insurance carrier - or better yet, a place like Foremost (what I have) or any one of many others.

To some degree - you'll get what you pay for.

My auto insurance (State Farm) is cheaper than Foremost - but the coverage is less also, such as no liability while parked at a campsite, etc.

One of the neat things about Foremost for new trailers, original owner, for the first 5 years, if the loss is total - they will buy you a "new current year" trailer equal to the one you lost.
doh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 09:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Foremost vs. State Farm

We have insured everything we own/value with State Farm, agent in family, but we would like to know more about Foremost and the 'replacement' part of their policy. Also an idea on premiums, our '04 Safari insurance is not 'cheap' & only covers book minus deductable. BTW: Laws prohibit insurance discounts to anyone including agents, we pay the same as anyone.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 11:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I've had State Farm on my vehicles for ??? 15 years or more. But when it came to a new, 34' Limited Airstream, I went with Foremost... and paid for it through the nose.

The big difference is that in the first five years, Foremost will buy me a current year replacement if the trailer is totalled or stolen. And in the second five years, they'll pay me what I paid for it, i.e. the declared value.

That's a lot of money, but I figure that every penny I pay Foremost for that is worth it, especially when you're full-timing.

BTW, expect to have to file a lawsuit against your insurance company to get what they're supposed to pay in a large payout situation. It's just common practice these days. It'll never go to court, but they'll never move unless you do.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:33 PM   #7
doh
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Manchaca , Texas
Foremost vs. State Farm

I also have State Farm auto & home (20 years) and Foremost on the trailer ( 6 months).

State Farm is $120.00 a year less for the trailer than Foremost & I trimmed the fat ($100.00 off of the Foremost policy), but the State Farm coverage/ claim process is the same as for your car, you will get the depreciated value with State Farm. Under Foremost, the stated, in writing coverage is the price I paid for the trailer which is above NADA book value. Also, even though I gutted the Foremost policy to reduce costs, it still provides coverages that State Farm does not provide.

So - to some degree - you get what you pay for. For me it was $350.00 Foremost vs. $233.00 State Farm /yr. State Farm knowing that I have a RV port in my fenced back yard, Foremost could care less where the trailer is stored.

The full coverage (bells & whistles, no discounts) Foremost price was $450.00 yr. The value of the trailer will change this amount.

I also have a local Foremost agent and the Foremost price/coverage provides a warm fuzzy feeling.

Foremost understands the trailer market and customer expectations.
doh is offline   Reply With Quote