Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2021, 05:13 PM   #1

2022 30' Classic
Powderly , Texas
Need insurance

We are new to the airstream family with a 2022 Classic 30rbt. In searching for insurance we see rates all over the board. All our vehicles are insured through Allstate and their RV insurance is unbelievable.

Any advice is appreciated.
Dprunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
Dprunty,
Contact an agent who will shop different companies. Decide ahead of time what type coverage works for you (full replacement, set value, low or high deductible - costs will vary widely between the options). Get a feel for how the candidate companies treat their claimants; specifically, travel trailer owners. (There are some helpful threads on this forum.)
Ask if there are measures that will earn a discount (like covered storage).
We personally use Safeco, with a fixed valuation (to get around the standard RV depreciation figures that do not apply to Airstreams) and bundle the coverage with our tow vehicle. Our agent works for us, not some corporation.
Happy camping!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Decent affordable insurance

Over the years I have had Auto, Home, Boat, Motorcycle and RV insurance with all the national insurance firms at one time or another. Owning an AS since 2017 I called FCIS Insurance and have all my coverage through them. They are an Ambassador Partner of the Wally Byam Airstream Club. 800-331-1520 is there #. My Auto and Home are with Safeco (part of Liberty Mutual) and the Airstream and Motorcycle are with Progressive. Extremely good rates. I am very versed in proper coverages after living right on the coast in Naples, Florida for many years. You have to shop insurance every year there or face getting priced through the roof when renewal time comes. So I think I know decent coverage and limits when I see them.

So far, so good with these folks at FCIS. Give them an opportunity. Ya never know. Might work for you.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Additional thought

You have an expensive Airstream. $150k or thereabouts. Insurance is not going to be inexpensive on that unit. Keep that in mind when shopping.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 07:38 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , AZ
We got very good rates for the TV and Airstream with USAA. Of course you need to be a veteran, child of a veteran or spouse of a veteran to get coverage.
vwii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 08:37 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
We changed from national to Progressive (agreed replacement value) and it's reasonably priced and they were easy to deal with when we had a claim recently. i was pleasantly surprised. The rep we had on our claim was very attentive and the adjuster understood Airstreams. I was so impressed that I moved my Motorcycle to Progressive as well. - Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 12:32 PM   #7

Richmond , Virginia
How do you value properly with a 1974 tricked out restoration? NADA is useless of course.
El Gallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 02:22 PM   #8
Jim J

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Try this

If your tow vehicle policy covers any damage you do to someone else while towing your trailer, you may be able to insure the trailer against damage by adding it to your homeowner's policy. Deductibles on HO policy can be higher than Auto policies so be carful to check that.

This can vary from state to state and company to company. It worked for me and reduced my overall cost.
Jim J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 05:57 AM   #9

2022 30' Classic
Powderly , Texas
Thanks everyone for your input we got a great rate through Good Sam.
Dprunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 06:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
FCIS was great to deal with. But I moved my trailer’s storage location and the company they originally set me up with either didn’t have coverage in the new state or had an upper limit on coverage that was lower than the trailer is worth.

Ended up with Progressive, who have also been easy to deal with. You can get Progressive coverage directly through Progressive or through a broker like FCIS.
Old 11-20-2021, 06:16 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Gallo View Post
How do you value properly with a 1974 tricked out restoration? NADA is useless of course.
Get an appraisal. I just have a basically stock (although a lot of upgrades), and got a letter from a dealer as to "real" value 6 years ago. I have Progressive through FCIS....agreed value policy, for $55k. (2007 Classic 30'). They have never asked for another appraisal. It is pretty expensive ($959/year), but the payout is true to its current value....maybe a bit above.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote