Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2008, 03:26 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Need Appraiser to get Stated Value Coverage

The $$$ for the "tweaks" to my unit has added up and is still climbing. I need to change my insurance coverage to a stated value policy instead of the replacement of unit coverage that only covers the unit in its oem condition. Can anyone recommend an outstanding appraiser for this purpose. The closer to NW Arkansas the better but I will drive to obtain the appraisal. Thanks a bunch in advance,shaker
fr8tshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi,

How about Airstream of Arkansas? We could also all get together.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:38 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Leave it to me to miss the obvious! I will have to contact Gene and see if they provide that service. I could also have Bill do a couple of other tweaks before the appraisal. He does great work. Then we could meet up in the area somewhere. Sounds like a plan! 'shaker
Old 08-15-2008, 02:38 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Can someone who has obtained a stated value policy let me know how to find a knowledgeable and experienced appraiser? Thanks, 'shaker
Old 08-15-2008, 04:42 PM   #5
_

. , .
can't help with an appraiser shaker, if aoa can't do it...

who is your insurance with anyway? my trailer is with progressive, while the truck is aig.

but here are some other ideas on the extra insurance issue.

i've seen your rig and am aware of at least some of the improvements, which are very nice.

in many ways these units become 'customized' for the owners tastes and needs.

are those changes/improvements worthy of insurance?

some are and some aren't.

for example changing wall colors or wall treatments or curtains or textiles probably aren't.

adding solar or a fancy a/v system or a vibrating multi postion bed might be....

but i wouldn't give up the 'replacement with a new unit' insurance rider that we can enjoy for 3-5 years.

instead i'd add a "contents" upgrade or 'personal effects' add on to the current coverage.

your policy has some coverage here (depending on details) for example 10,000$ for personal belongings...

i think u can make a detailed list of ITEMS you'd like to insure...

and depending on the items (and receipts for cost) listed, ADD coverage for them.

the haha, a solar pack add on or audio/video or computer or satellite can be covered depending on insurance company...

new wheels, window tint, leather upgrades, a graphics package, or an electric salad shooter...

might not qualify for added insurance coverage.

for example going to an UPRATED axle may not be covered for extra, even though it is a benefit to you.

and axles are necessary just to maintain the original/current value.

typically "agreed value" coverage is gonna b limited to old units that are somehow special or truly custom/designer new stuff...

like a chip foose or 'american chopper' stream.

lastly i'd start a video/photo archive of EVERY little item that's been tweaked or improved or added.

pictures and receipts for all the extras help a lot, if an insurance loss has to be filed.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:57 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
2air,

Thanks for the input. I must ask the questions wrong or not have the right keystroke when I post a question because it seems I don't get much feedback. Oh well, we can't all be irresistable.

I don't think replacement will cover my additions. I have Progressive on my TV. I think I will give them a call and check into my options.

I would like to at least cover some of my tweaks to get the cost back. (i.e.-solar system) Of course I would much rather prefer that nothing happens and I end up with a vintage unit down the road.

Happy trails, 'shaker
Old 08-15-2008, 07:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Shaker,

I have Progressive on my Excella. They were willing to do a stated value, but I faced the same problem compounded by the lack of an adequate TV. One thing at a time.

That second AC should add a lot of value, too. I am jealous.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
you might ask if receipts for the parts alone or paid receipts for labor, will qualify to boost the current value. making a detailed contents list, to not get shortchanged in the event of a loss, is also a plus.

in any event, a copy of the records in a remote location is advised.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:04 PM   #9
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8tshaker View Post
The $$$ for the "tweaks" to my unit has added up and is still climbing. I need to change my insurance coverage to a stated value policy instead of the replacement of unit coverage that only covers the unit in its oem condition. Can anyone recommend an outstanding appraiser for this purpose. The closer to NW Arkansas the better but I will drive to obtain the appraisal. Thanks a bunch in advance,shaker
There is indeed an excellent Airstream appraiser amongst us. He's one of the few who's appraisals stand up in any court, and for the IRS as well.
They appraised my 1963 Overlander for stated value.
pm me for the information.
Old 08-16-2008, 02:33 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2022 16' Bambi
2022 Atlas
Sioux Falls , Arkansas
Vaughn,

Your unit certainly isn't shabby. I am anxiously awaiting the cork floor pics.
__________________________________________________ _____________________

Richinny,

I have kept my receipts. As I said earlier, leave it to me to miss the obvious. The receipts are in the AS. Will move them asap.
__________________________________________________ _____________________

I think I might start looking for a new ins. broker. I am still pretty low on the learning curve when it comes to all this RV insurance stuff. My current broker doesn't seem overly ambitious when it comes to looking into the out of the norm coverage.

My ins. experience is with the traditional home/fire/auto etc. Think I am going to do a search and seek out a broker that has done well for other AS owners.

Really appreciate everyones help. 'shaker
Old 08-16-2008, 04:58 PM   #11
_

. , .
hi shaker...

policy and broker really are 2 connected by distinct issues...

progressive has very good coverage options for rv folks...

-the full replacement rider on new units...

-the disappearing deductible as no claims are filed...

-the agree value riders for older units...

-they even have coverage for the rv while traveling in canada AND mexico (driver liability coverage not included)

-and roadside/towing for the tv even if it is NOT insured by them, as long as it's towing the insured trailer....

-they also have a very good 'contents' coverage with the policy that can be expanded, which is one way to get the extra goodies insured.

-not many insurance companies get the rv issues as much different than car coverage or house coverage, since it's a mix of both.

brokers sell very few of these rv unique policies compared to everyday auto/house/umbrella coverage....

usually i do all the details-stuff myself, using the progressive website and with a WRITTEN copy of the policy in hand...

then visit the agent and explain what i want done, like ordering al carte or off the menu...

often the agent says..."i don't know if they will do that"

only to later say... "hey that's a neat policy, it's got all sorts of features i didn't know about"

progressive can also suggest another agent/broker in your local.

in some states u are required to use a broker/agent while it others EVERYTHING can be done via their website.

i had a very large theft lost 10 years ago with lots of expensive collectibles stolen.

the photo records that included visual proof of serial numbers and "CONDITION" of each item..

made reimbursement much easier, quicker and at higher $ amounts.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:34 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
State Farm did stated value also. Ask you local bank if they have appraisors names or numbers
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote