Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2008, 06:56 PM   #1
qdp
1 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Pacific Palisades , California
Rivet Need AIRstream appraisal, anybody local to L.A.?

this posting thing is confusing... I own a 2004 CCD 25ft Airstream that was originally used by Paris Hilton Nicole Richie in the FOX TV Show: A SIMPLE LIFE: Road Trip, I, and II.

Basically brand new, unused, it sat on my lot as an office (construction remodel to my house) until a gal plowed into it, totalling the write off. Now my insurance company claims it has no higher value than a reg. unit./

I need a referral to a knowledgeable appraiser who can value this unit based on the celebrity factor and get the insurance company to ante up.

Any suggestions, links. I have one contact with Sotheby's but they are off the charts on what this could fetch at auction. I think I need someone reasonable.

thanks, Quentin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PARIS AIRSTREAM! .jpg
Views:	480
Size:	423.6 KB
ID:	64016   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	64017  

qdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:18 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1962 24' Tradewind
Vincennes , Indiana
Andy at Inland RV...

Godspeed,
Trent
TV4: 2005 Dodge 3500, 478,000 miles, 4spd auto
"Too much of what I once knew I now know not" Me
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 07:19 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I moved your post to the Insurance & Claims Forum...

I am curious how you insured this Airstream. Did you have an agreed value based upon the celebrity factor of the trailer or did you just tell them it was a 2004 25' CCD?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 08:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

FWIW...Paris & Nicole actually devalued the AS...JMTCW.
zamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:18 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Appraiser

Silverpal from Ojai is the best. He appraised our vintage trailer in January that resulted in a very fair insurance settlement. paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:13 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Not impressed.

Hi, I saw this trailer at the Irvine Airstream dealer and I was no more impressed with this trailer than I am with Paris and Nicole. [My honest opinion] But the real questions would be: Did you actually pay more for it because of it's history? And did you insure it for more accordingly? If not, then why should it be worth more now? [once again, just my opinion]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 12:44 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by qdp View Post
this posting thing is confusing... I own a 2004 CCD 25ft Airstream that was originally used by Paris Hilton Nicole Richie in the FOX TV Show: A SIMPLE LIFE: Road Trip, I, and II.

Basically brand new, unused, it sat on my lot as an office (construction remodel to my house) until a gal plowed into it, totalling the write off. Now my insurance company claims it has no higher value than a reg. unit./

I need a referral to a knowledgeable appraiser who can value this unit based on the celebrity factor and get the insurance company to ante up.

Any suggestions, links. I have one contact with Sotheby's but they are off the charts on what this could fetch at auction. I think I need someone reasonable.

thanks, Quentin

Insurance companies are interested in the "value" of the trailer.

Who owned it or used it, or stepped in it, is of no concern to them, as that has nothing to do with it's value.

If you wish to insurance it because of who stayed in it, then I do not know of anyone that I could direct you to.

The trailers true value can be proven and demonstrated.

Any increase in value because of who used it, or stayed in it, now becomes what a collector might appraise it at. Then the problem quickly becomes an opinion, not facts.

Sell it on e-bay, and see what offers you might receive.

Many things on e-bay sell for far more money, than the regular retail price.

It would appear that you bought the trailer on investment speculation, instead of something that you wanted to personally use.

Insurance companies don't work on speculative values.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:40 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
A while ago I saw a AS on ebay that was documented to have participated in one of Wally's round the world tours. I don't think it went for much more than one without that claim to fame. By synchronicity or just dumb luck I found another one. (see thread "Did I find a 62 from a world caravan" if interested)The last owners had no idea of it's history and neither did I at the time I picked it up. Playing History Detective I was able to confirm this baby went around the world (or at least part of it) in 63-64. Maybe this may add some value as a collectable but I don't think AS memorabilia has quite the $ value as Elvis's sideburns. I have seen a few ASs reputed to have been owned by celebrities on ebay and have even been tempted to bid. They went for a little more but not gazillions.

I have come across a couple of other deals I passed on John McKenzie's old beat up guitar case. And a broken guitar that belonged to Peter Frampton. (If you are x generation or later or really participated in the spirit of the 60's shriveled your brain to the size of a walnut John McKenzie is Papa John from the Mamas and the Papas and McKenzie Phillips father) The one I kick myself for though is the guy up the road had a AS copycat called a "El Rey". I offered him a grand he wanted $1500. A year later I saw the same coach on ebay go for somewhere around 25K.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:21 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
this posting thing is confusing... I own a 2004 CCD 25ft Airstream that was originally used by Paris Hilton Nicole Richie in the FOX TV Show: A SIMPLE LIFE: Road Trip, I, and II. Basically brand new, unused, it sat on my lot as an office (construction remodel to my house) until a gal plowed into it, totalling the write off. Now my insurance company claims it has no higher value than a reg. unit./ I need a referral to a knowledgeable appraiser who can value this unit based on the celebrity factor and get the insurance company to ante up. Any suggestions, links. I have one contact with Sotheby's but they are off the charts on what this could fetch at auction. I think I need someone reasonable. thanks, Quentin
Hi Quentin: That Demolition Derby Lady careening around your property may have damaged the trailer, but she did not damage any of the celebrity value the trailer had and still has. Her plowing into it did not alter the trailer's ownership history; it was still used by Paris and Nicole and still retains all that value. If someone still wants to purchase it for its celebrity factor, they can do so.

The new purchaser may not be able to use the trailer anymore, but as your use of the trailer as a stationary office indicates, use seems secondary to the aura of celebrity ownership for those who value such factors. Other people have purchased non-functional celebrity trailers to preserve their history, and even though they have no plans to make the trailer functional or use it, they still regard them very highly as a pot of gold.

It seems to me your insurance company is treating you fairly, since only the trailer's physical qualities have been damaged, not its intangible celebrity factor, which it retains. Your claim against your insurance company will be settled based on the terms of your insurance policy. If you did not pay a premium to specifically insure the celebrity factor value, you are not entitled to receive any settlement payment for any damage that factor might have suffered.

Nevertheless, if you think the Demolition Derby lady somehow impaired the intangible value of the trailer, you might sue her for the difference between the pre-collision total value of the trailer and the settlement amount you receive from your insurance company. After all, she is the one who ran into the aura. You might pay for and use Sothebys' appraisal services before suing Demolition Derby lady. Sothebys should be able to provide you with an expert witness who can provide a written celebrity valuation appraisal and testify at trial. In any event, good luck in being made whole again for any damage caused to your intangible property rights.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
I think to have anything owned by Paris Hilton has the, "So what factor" or maybe the "What ever factor". I can't see how this would have any value above the actual trailer value.', but life can be pretty siily at times, so who knows.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 01:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Might take forever to get the perfume smell out.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:40 PM   #12
qdp
1 Rivet Member

Appreciate your comments. THANKS. No I did NOT buy it for increased value, nor would I expect it to sell for gadzillions... but as THE trailer used in a hit TV show, yes, I think there is a collector price value assigned- to this one. I had it listed on Ebay, for $48K, because in comps, there were no others and it has Paris and Nicole's DNA and fingerprints throughout. (joshin...) And yes, I turned down $42.5k. Does this mean it's worth $48K? Well, Sotheby's, through RM auctions, suggests a much higher reserve for one of their vintage, collectible auto public auctions. I just need somebody to appraise it for my insurance carrier, according to some standard, something I am really clueless about, JUST LIKE PARIS? LOL!
Old 07-23-2008, 03:11 PM   #13
_

. , .
aPRAYzal? how 'bout a buckfiddy $$ ?

Quote:
... I had it listed on Ebay, for $48K...
and no doubt that's why we are reading this thread...

it is a USED 2004 ccd.

the insurance value is the same as any other unit with the same specs...

IF at the time of insuring this rare/collectible/whoisparis unit,

YOU insured it for a specific DOLLAR VALUE, which would have raised the premium price..

then there is some basis for a 'total loss claim' that is higher than the book value.

and the time for 'collectible value' appraisal was then, as it would have been used to boost insurance value THEN.

BUT if u purchased a typical rv policy, expecting a HIGHER value now, after the fact is silly.

like paying for 1/2 a crate of plantains, while expecting deliver of 2 crates o'bananas...

have u gotten any estimates on REPAIRing this unit?

for example IF the repairs are 25k-30$ and insurance is labeling it a total loss...

TAKE the settlement, then buy it back at salvage price...

once repaired it will STILL HAVE the celebrity factor, whatever that is...

what's a nicole?

besides, u could have paris and nicole DO the repairs or just hang out at the repair shop...

that would really boost the value in holly'stream...

and might even lead to a sequel to that hit (r u kidding) series...

paris and nicole running with scissors, even i might watch that...

or not.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:49 PM   #14
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Hummm... I'm thinking that the celebrity factor for Paris & Nichole would be mainly aimed at the teen-age group... you think their folks would loan them enough $$ to buy it?

Let's talk about that one whatshername owned that had the stripper pole in it... :
oh oh... hope Kim doesn't read this...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:12 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
My advise to you is get it repaired. As mention before the celeb value is still there untouched. Since you have posted no pics of the damage it is kind of hard to tell really. Is it worth any more because of P&N using it? In my worthless opinion no. Now if George Washington Slept there you might have something.
SaabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:49 AM   #16
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large

"That's HOT"
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:12 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
You may want to check with the people at Barrett-Jackson as they have extensive experience auctioning celeb owned vehicles.

Another factor depending on the level of damage is having the factory repair it. They can and do replace panels or sections.

I hope it all works out for you.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:27 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabLover View Post
My advise to you is get it repaired. As mention before the celeb value is still there untouched. Since you have posted no pics of the damage it is kind of hard to tell really. Is it worth any more because of P&N using it? In my worthless opinion no. Now if George Washington Slept there you might have something.
Some of us would be interested i seeing how bad it was damaged, Andy might be able to give you a ball park range of repairs in case you want to restore it to its post Hilton value.

BTW, I saw it at Southwest Coaches also and it appeared that some of the appliances and or systems no longer worked or had been removed.

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:03 PM   #19
qdp
1 Rivet Member

Is silverpal Jim Polk? No contact info, except wading through the memberlist, finding him there. Did Not talk to him, the only thing I'm certain of is whatever celeb status anything has, it sure does get people riled, why does EVERYBODY pick on them? Culturally these two Paris anmd Nicolettie make me laugh, and for that alone, I'm soooo grateful.

Q
Old 07-29-2008, 07:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Quote:
Is silverpal Jim Polk? No contact info, except wading through the memberlist, finding him there. Did Not talk to him, the only thing I'm certain of is whatever celeb status anything has, it sure does get people riled, why does EVERYBODY pick on them? Culturally these two Paris anmd Nicolettie make me laugh, and for that alone, I'm soooo grateful.

Q
Youcan get in touch with Jim at:
Japolk@jps.net or 925.788.4385. Best of luck. paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote