Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2020, 03:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Insurance with USAA

In 2014 when I bought my Safari 25 I called USAA. They sent me to Progressive saying they did not write RV policies. I found the same thing when I insured my Classic 30 Slideout. I insured both trailers for an Agreed Value.

Twice now I have read on here that USAA does write policies for trailers, but not motorhomes. While making a change to my auto insurance today I asked for clarification. I spoke to a representative who said that, in fact, USAA does write policies for travel trailers. There is, however, a catch. They do not write Agreed Value policies but pay claims based on "actual cash value". Every company has their own definition of actual cash value, some use NADA. When asked, the representative said they do not use NADA but base their value estimate off of depreciated "original purchase price". When I asked what that meant for a used trailer, he didn't know the answer. I had him do a quote anyway, and found I could save over $600 a year ($941 to $309) with a policy having $0 deductible, but it was an Actual Cash Value policy. I asked if he could tell me what the payout would be for a total loss and he couldn't. He said Claims would have to do that and transferred me to claims.

Claims couldn't answer the question either. They said their system would come up with a value from sales price minus depreciation plus looking at recent sales of similar trailers. I have well over $10K in upgrades and improvements to my trailer since I bought it and they are going to take my original purchase price and depreciate it to come up with a starting point for valuing my trailer?

That's a risk I choose not to take. At $600 a year it would take nearly 20 years of savings to cover the difference in value between the original sales price and my investment should my trailer be a total loss or stolen.

YMMV, but trailers are stolen every day.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote