Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2020, 02:16 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Delta , British Columbia
Insurance when importing a trailer to Canada

Hi there,

Although I've imported before, it was just across the line . We live in BC about 20 mins from the border. I didn't bother with insurance.

Once the border opens we're thinking about buying an AS from Texas. This is a lot further than Washington State! I will need insurance as the drive will be a long one. I'm getting mixed information from insurance people here. Apparently they will only insure me if I go to DMV in Texas, show them the paperwork and get a permit. How easy is this to do in Texas as I'm a visitor to State and Country? Has anyone done this before?

Can anyone give me some input based on their experience?

TIA
Innotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 03:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
our ONT insurance covers can and usa

check you ICBC policy
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
The Insurance Corporation of British Columbia will only sell you temporary insurance when importing.

I’ve imported a car from Japan. In Alberta I can set up liability insurance over the phone. From there, I can easily buy a trip permit (with emailed proof of liability insurance), fly to Vancouver, and drive it home. Permanent licensing requires an inspection, but the insurance company doesn’t even ask about that. The coverage continues unchanged.

ICBC clearly won’t sell a trip permit for a vehicle that is not in-province. They expect you to buy one in the location you are buying the trailer.

The DMV may or may not want evidence of liability insurance for the trailer when selling you a trip permit; it depends on state law. BC is unusual in Canada in that all trailers need third party liability coverage before you can license them. In other provinces the tow vehicle liability coverage extends to the trailer.

The validity of the insurance should not depend on having a trip permit, but ICBC is not known for logical processes or good customer service - at least in my experience. Such is the consequence of having a monopoly public insurer. You should ask if the insurance coverage is valid if you don’t buy a trip permit.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 10:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
I have purchased trailers in the US and brought them back to Canada and my AB insurance company provided me with a policy with no issue. As I had a permanent trailer plate from a previous trailer, I used it on the new trailer to get it home. Here in AB., you have 14 days from the purchase date of the new trailer to update the registration.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
All you need is the vin number and you should be able to get insurance on it. You can phone your agent as soon as you have title.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:43 AM   #6
Married with Airstream

2004 25' International CCD
Vancouver Island , British Columbia
When we purchased our AS from a US dealer and obtained the bill of sell with VIN# we contacted Farmer Insurance Agent in the US who covered the AS while in storage (we bought in Nov and picked up the AS in June) this covered travel to the Border. Just prior to going south to the US to pick the AS up we Insured through AVIVA agent in Canada. Also note that as long as the AS is attached to the TV your covered for Liability while travelling. The dealer will provided a temporary travel plate for the AS ( not sure time limit ours was 3 days) We Did the ICBC the day we crossed the border. Because the AS was 15 year old no inspection was required. No problem crossing the border, just have to pay the GST at the border and the PST at ICBC

Double check - this was our experience and not a recommendation!!!
2013 F-150HD FX4 SuperCrew Lariart (MaxTow) "Red Dragon"
drbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:29 PM   #7
Mike from Canmore

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Sorry - but DMV in Texas is like the plague...we lived in Dallas for a while and dealing with that department is fraught with problems - incompetence, lack of knowledge, nobody taking responsibility....and on an on it goes.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 07:59 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ontario , Ontario
Question for all of you who did this, if you go to the DMV to get a trip/temporary plate, will they ask you to pay state tax on your Airstream?

I also read that different states have different rules around trip permits. You may or may not need a new permit for each state you cross. Is that correct?
Marc_85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:20 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Not in my experience, but my purchases were through a dealer in the US. They made all the arrangements for a trip permit and had all the necessary paperwork to get across the border. I simply called my insurance company once I had the bill of sale to arrange insurance.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
KW , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc_85 View Post
Question for all of you who did this, if you go to the DMV to get a trip/temporary plate, will they ask you to pay state tax on your Airstream?

I also read that different states have different rules around trip permits. You may or may not need a new permit for each state you cross. Is that correct?
There are a few states where this is true. California and Indiana are 2 that I know of. If you purchase from a dealer they will deliver to the next state over to avoid this. But if you are purchasing privately the trailer should already be registered and most most likely have valid plates. So you don't need to bother. I still have my California plate that it came with.

I read somewhere a long time ago that if you put a piece of paper on that says onroute you are okay to transport it back. But don't quote me on that. Do your own research. Personally I would talk with the your provinces license office.
gator.bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 07:21 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Delta , British Columbia
Thanks everyone! I appreciate your input.

We’ve decided to pass. There are just too many obstacles-closed border, pandemic, riots/protests, seller unwilling to negotiate, insurance...

Plus I spoke with ICBC. They’re no help. They absolutely want an “in-transit” permit. From what I’ve read on the Texas DMV website, they only issue in transit permits to motorized vehicles. I’ve tried to get in touch with Texas DMV for clarification but they’re still partially closed due to the pandemic and haven’t responded to my inquiries.

It’s not the right time. Buying an AS should be fun and this isn’t.

Take care everyone!
Innotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:16 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Ontario , Ontario
Could you get a 15 day in-transit permit from BC and bring it with you to Texas, affix it to the trailer and drive home?
Marc_85 is offline   Reply With Quote