Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2017, 05:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Insurance on rental?

We are going to be renting a TT in July to see how we like it before buying anything. I called my insurance carrier (California Casualty) and asked about coverage, they said they only extend coverage to a towed trailer up to 1 ton. The rental place thinks they might be mistaken, he said he has never heard of that. Any insurance experts out there? Do I need to join Good Sam?
ITSNO60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:46 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Decatur , Georgia
We ran into a similar issue, and it's apparently a common one when renting. Our auto policy would cover the rented TV as normal rental cars are covered, our umbrella liability policy would cover the TT for liability, but we were left in the cold for collision/comprehensive on the TT.

If you find that you're unable to resolve this with your insurance company, you do have an option. Outdoorsy.com is an RV rental network similar to Airbnb. They actually provide insurance for both vehicles, with a $1,500 deductible. There are quite a few ASs listed, especially in the western states. Many are very new, some owners (rentees?) have tow vehicles available as well.

Finally, there are several places that rent them in place if just trying out living in the AS is what you're wanting to accomplish. One near Santa Barbara and also one near Sante Fe NM immediately come to mind. I also think there is a campground near Joshua tree that has a variety of TTs including an AS or 2. Fell free to PM me if you want more details. We've done a TON of research on this.

We are renting a TV and vintage AS through Outdoorsy next week in MD, and camping in VA as a test before we buy. So far our experience has been great; the training (we've not towed in MANY years) and administrative side of the rental has gone very smoothly. We're very excited to take this next step toward ownership!

Hope it all goes well for you!
runswithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Thanks for the very helpful post! Unfortunately we already put a deposit on the TT, does Outdoorsy sell insurance for rentals other than ones rented through them? We already own a TV just not a TT yet.

I didn't know you could stay in an Airstream in Santa Fe, that is one of our favorite destinations. We also heard about a place close to us in Bisbee, AZ called The Shady Dell where you can stay in a vintage Airstream
Old 06-14-2017, 08:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Just checked it looks like there's two oudoorsy.com sites, one doesn't rent RVs!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	outd.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	287601  
Old 06-15-2017, 07:43 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Decatur , Georgia
The correct Outdoorsy url is https://www.outdoorsy.co Sorry about that! I'm not aware that they can offer insurance directly.

Here's a link to the NM location; it's in the Jemez mountains:

https://www.nomadmotorlodge.com/
runswithdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:46 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Definitely not an insurance expert, but I just returned from a one week Airstream rental. The insurance issue was very confusing.

Our car insurance covered the tow vehicle and trailer liability, just like yours, and we were covered by the insurance already on the trailer by the rental place with us to be responsible for the deductible if there was an incident.

I'd ask the rental place if this would be the case for you. Good luck!
chicagoair is offline   Reply With Quote