Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2012, 05:35 PM   #21
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Is agreed value the same as getting an appraisal from an AS dealer and using that to value the policy? That's what I was told to do by my agent who handles my Progressive policy. I haven't done it yet, as my policy isn't due for a few months yet.
I guess it would be if you agreed with the appraisal.

But what our agent told us with the Ford, get the appraisal, and use that figure, or pay a bit more and go for an agreed value policy. We have it insured for about 15% more than it was appraised at. I guess some companies don't offer agreed value policies though.

Bob
Old 04-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I'm interested in promises and payment of premiums but I'm more interested in cases of claims paid. I've been reading insurance posts, and what I'm not finding is reported claims paid on agreed value policies. What I'm seeing are reports of promises and companies that are good at collecting premiums. Where's the thread on the paid claims experiences?

People report that companies like Progressive offer agreed value / guaranteed replacement policies, but when I call Progressive they say the agreed contract is not available. What am I doing wrong?
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:16 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
LA LA Land... , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
I USAA only for military? Or what?
Military officers and their dependents. I've been with them some 46 years. They may have changed some things recently, but that's the way it's been for a long time.
Mike91208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike91208 View Post
Military officers and their dependents. I've been with them some 46 years. They may have changed some things recently, but that's the way it's been for a long time.

Thanks! I wonder if there are any portals. I tried to call AAA insurance but they never called me back. So far I'm batting zero on agreed value insurance shopping.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:44 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike91208 View Post
Back sometime in the 90s, they opened up their services to all veterans and their families, regardless of rank.

You don't have to be active duty anymore either. You just have to have served, I'm not sure of the time requirement. It's worth calling them. Even though their service has slipped over the years, they're still the best insurance company I've ever dealt with.

They used to be amazing... now they're great.
Taylormade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:22 PM   #26
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Our Progressive policy says "total loss replacement/purchase price" whatever that means. But after 5 years I don't know and we are not going to find out.

We just got a notice our auto policy would go up almost 29% because we don't owe any money and don't have enough credit cards. They missed a credit card we do have (I guess you need two and acknowledge we have excellent credit, but the computer rules. They made no attempt to check on a 2nd credit card which may have reversed the extra charges. I told them they are crazy. They didn't care.

One call to a Farmer's agent I know and the quote was for more coverage on the motor vehicles with a big discount for our homeowner's policy, so we'll save several hundred bucks compared to Progressive's original cost. Next I'm getting a quote from him from Foremost—Farmers has an agreement with them on RV's, and that may save me a little more on homeowners. This would be a agreed value, so I have yet to see how that works.

All these companies use credit information to set prices, but they use different agencies which have different information, some of it wrong. I think this is stupid, but hard to avoid.

Also, apparently the primary insurance for your RV is the tow vehicles and the RV insurance is secondary. The 2 companies will sort it out themselves in most cases, but you'll have to keep an eye on them.

I'll call another agent I know and see if she can do better, but I doubt it. What I do know is "goodbye Progressive". Too bad Flo; you won't be able to afford a new wig.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1991 34' Limited
Tyler , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post
I'm with USAA and when I recently brought home "Ethel", they told me they'd pay replacement plus 5k of any upgrades I did to her.
I'm w USAA too but the only ins I saw was for a motor home. Advice on where to look on their webpage?
tvanwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
Try FCIS as advertised in the Blue Beret. 800-331-1520, RV Advantage | FCIS Insurance - RV Insurance, Motor Home Insurance, Travel Trailer Insurance

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
i am with allied. i got an appraisal virtually (via email) and my insurer, allied, (via FCIS) has an agreed value of $25k. I pay about $35/mo for insurance for my 62. we probably have $7500 in it after purchase price.

Re: deductible-

Quote:
The deductibles are $500 but you would have a $200 credit for not having any claims so at this time your out of pocket for a claim would be $300. They go down $100 each claim free year.
Hope this helps.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote