Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2011, 06:06 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
It's just that as we travel down the road on our vacation, we're probably going to look like we're the kind of people that don't take care of their belongings.
Don't feel that way! Our Airstream has several dents on the back corners, and we bought it that way (as did the previous owner). It just means it has experience!

No, but, seriously - we all know things happen, and they aren't always your fault.

What an idiot with the motorhome, though. He thinks it's okay to damage someone else's property? Wow. File an insurance claim against his policy!

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:12 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
What an awful thing to have happen! I am so sorry. I am glad that you checked on your trailer when you did, and could catch the jerk. Bravo to the Sheriff's office for tracking the guy down & making him take responsibility. Once he has his insurance rates go up due to the cost of your repairs, maybe he'll think twice before parking so carelessly. It makes you wonder how many other people he has hit!

Good luck with the repairs. I think a margarita or two is an excellent idea, especially if you can share it with some other Airstreamers. Have fun at the rally!

Sharon
sharbours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:34 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Flora Vista , New Mexico
What a "large mound of fecal matter" (aka pile of ****) that guy is. I think we have all seen his like. I had one guy back into my old truck at a college parking lot, leave the impression of his hitch reciever on my tailgate (jacked up truck), and take off. I prowled that place for two weeks looking for green pain on receivers. You kind of wonder if the guy was drunk after a long weekend...

Anyway even with a few dents, an aluminum palace will still turn more heads and provoke more positive comments than another run of the mill lookalike class A. And you have a good story to go along with it, complete with the majesty of the law making the guy crawl for you! lol

Though if you were really evil, and had one of those sewer solutions things, maybe you could find an open window...... just kidding!
EricktheSOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:10 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
Well things progressed in a positive way today. His insurance company has been very good to deal with.

And in all fairness to the other party, he has called me 3 times today trying to speak to me. I ended up returning his call this evening (reluctantly) but he was very, very kind and very, very apologetic. I'm thinking maybe he just got scared when it happened. I honetly could not have asked for a more pleasant discussion and I think he is now sincerely concerned about the situation. I appreciate that he is taking a different attitude and I'm glad to put the experience Friday evening behind me.

I'm glad things are turning in a positive direction. Tomorrow the insurance company representative is supposed to view the Airstream before we depart on vacation. It's going to be interesting to see what they say the damage estimate is.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:00 PM   #25

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Just keep in mind that they can recommend any repair facility they want, but the choice is yours, so if you want JC or an Airstream dealer to do the work you can have it done there.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:45 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Frank & Mike - Just saw thiis post and your photos. I'm so very sorry to learn of all this, but also glad to know the moho's owner has changed his tune. I hope your beauty is all fixed up for our September rally, and have a great vacation!
Old 07-26-2011, 04:17 AM   #27
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Glad to see the perp has had some time to think about his responsibilities and hope his insurer will come through for you.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:13 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank&Mike View Post
WSmith - that's a great suggestion as we will be traveling through Dallas on Wed. It will also give me some peace of mind. Is this the place you're recommending:

North Dallas RV
2630 I-35 E. North
Carrollton
TX, 75006
Yes. sorry for the delay,
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:26 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
Looking at your damage you will not have any alignment damage IMHO. Have a great trip and Maybe we will catch you down the road before ling. Will probably be getting into the Region 9 Club before long. Had a ceiling fan or light fire and trailer will be out of service for a while. Its too hot to work on it right now.
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #30
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I'm glad that this is working its way to a happy ending. As bad as hit-and-run can be, this one is improving. And I'm sure it is emotionally gratifying for you now that the guy has taken responsibility and is owning up to the hurt he caused.

As for the storage folks, I don't know why they didn't relo him out the gate.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:51 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Just reading this makes my blood boil. It would be one thing if he had done this and owned up to it, but where in the world is he coming from with his "stuff" happens attitude. Everything that is wrong with todays' society rolled into one big package of .........

I hope you get your trailer fixed like new. If you find a good AS dealer nearby that can do the job great! If not, you know you can make the trip to JC and surely have it done right.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:27 PM   #32
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
Sorry to hear about the damage. Since you reported it to LE you have a perp by the short hairs.
I would first bring the AS to one of the AS recommended axle alignment facilities. These places work on large trailer and trucks all the time. The perp may have knocked our axles out of alignment.
Good luck.

Mark
halimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:30 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Brad,

When will you have the repairs done, and how long will they have your trailer? I'm surprised that BTC can't fix it in their shop. Carol and I watched some of their sheet metal repairs and we were impressed.

Drew
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:39 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Frank&Mike,

I glad to see that things look like they are improving. Good Luck!

Drew
drew05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:55 PM   #35

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew05
Brad,

When will you have the repairs done, and how long will they have your trailer? I'm surprised that BTC can't fix it in their shop. Carol and I watched some of their sheet metal repairs and we were impressed.

Drew
Not sure but the owner said he would take it to JC. 6 panels had hail and one was my boo boo. I'm might just replace the front and the two in back. Save the insurance a little $$.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:23 PM   #36
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by halimer View Post
Sorry to hear about the damage. Since you reported it to LE you have a perp by the short hairs.
I would first bring the AS to one of the AS recommended axle alignment facilities. These places work on large trailer and trucks all the time. The perp may have knocked our axles out of alignment.
Good luck.

Mark
Though it possible, it is very unlikely. To move an axle out of alignment would have left that trailer totally caved in. Axles are installed with class 5 bolts and to move them would take much more force than that.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:58 AM   #37
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
Frank,

The incident have have torqued the axles slightly. Let the shop make that determination. Also, AS doesn't check the alignment after the units are assembled. They hope the gig does it all for them.
The roads in the NY Metro area have knocked the alignment out twice in 30K miles. I drive slowly through the area to get home and it doesn't help.

Mark
halimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:15 AM   #38
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Sorry, still feel it highly unlikely.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:47 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Having to deal with other folk's problems is a pain.

I do agree with the advice above. I would want it fixed for sure, but I don't believe there are any frame or axle problems. Airstreams last so long because of the way they are made. The damage is a bit unsightly, and I would want it repaired on the offender's check book too, but I don't see a serious frame bending hit there. As for axle alignment, think of hitting a pot hole in the highway at 65 MPH. The fact the wheels stay on the trailer at all is proof they are attached well.

Airstreams are fairly light and roll easily, so it really would not take much of a shove to roll one off the leveler blocks, which would cause the tongue to move some.

Glad the guy is coming around. Jackson Center folks are great, with a handy free place to stay.

Regards,

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:52 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Georgetown , Texas
We are on day 2 of our trip (currently in Queen Wilhemena Stat Park Arkansas ... approx. 9 hrs. from Austin). From what I can tell all is fine from a towing standpoint. We had just put 4 new tires on the Airstream a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure if we have traveled enough on them to be able to see an alignment issue or not ... but after 9 hours of travel nothing looks out of ordinary on the tread.

His insurance company has been outstanding to deal with. "Flo" advertises for his insurance company if that tells you who it is. In fact, "Flo's" folks have been so good to deal with we may end up getting a quote for all of our insurance.
Frank&Mike is offline   Reply With Quote