Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2019, 05:11 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I have some advice based on our experience.

We started with a 22 sport which we really liked. Felt it was a decent size for us now but that "someday" we would want a larger one for trips with our adult kids and someday grandkids. That 22 was in a non-moving accident at our storage place. Covered by the insurance of the party that caused the accident. The difference between our situation and yours is that the rig had some significant damage that would need to be repaired, and we were not comfortable with having to worry about the trailer leaking after repairs. We traded in the insurance check and stepped into a 25.

We liked the 25 very well. It had some minor issues that were dealt with under warranty, and some others that we were going to have to deal with this summer before the warranty ran out. During the spring we were hit by some large debris that flew out of the bed of a passing pickup truck. It thankfully missed us in the truck (blessing) and damaged the front, top, and side of the Airstream pretty substantially. Extensive repairs would be needed, and we were again not comfortable that the rig would be leak free and as good as new after the repair. We again traded, and paid the now much higher difference to get into a 27. (If our dealer would have had a 25 RBT like our old rig we may not have gone up in size, but we still would have traded).

Now why my long story? If you had your salvage title unit and any of these accidents would befall you, now you have a situation where your rig is worth $0 and is probably not going to be covered by insurance if it is your insurance paying.

If you accept the salvage title rig, you may also be risking the entire amount you spend on it.

That is why you can't pay the amount of the insurance initial offer. It is too high for a salvage title rig.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 05:34 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
If you do decide you might want to buy the trailer back at auction, I would winterize the trailer now before you give it up. If it goes through a harsh winter up there, why would you want to fix all that plumbing? Might cost you $4!

Those bidding on it will probably figure they will have to fix the plumbing keeping the price low.

Link to our shared album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/wACfGg1KcroVLP5m6
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:49 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
Newport Beach , California
Help with insurance Total vs Buy Back..

Hi Fishbisquit, I'm in a similar situation with my 2014 Sport/Bambi 16. I was visiting Fort Collins in 2018 when they had a monstor hailstorm with 2" discs of hail. Three other Airstreams were in the KOA here. The only damage to my trailer or theirs was from hail. None of the vent covers or air conditioner covers were damaged - unfortunately many of the other trailers had far worse.

My insurance company submitted my appraisal to an independent appraiser knowledgable about Airstreams. The other Airstreams were not so fortunate. One 2018 27" got a damage estimate of only $10,000 for seven damaged sections.

They totaled my trailer and valued it at $39,000. They paid off my loan and gave me a check. My trailer is licensed in California. I decided to "buy back" my trailer for their $5,000 offer. I received a salvage title from CA DMV. In California, they have a form I can fill out and have the trailer inspected by the Highway Patrol. Since my damage is only cosmetic, I am able to then get a regular title for my trailer.

As to what you want to do in the future, my experience is that there are many people in the West anyway who will buy a hail damaged trailer - if the price is right. A trailer newer that mine sold recently for $20,000. Do the math - $39,000 pay off - $20,000 selling price with cash offer. $59,000 - far more than what they would have received selling the trailer before the hail. Or with a regular title even better.
CalifBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:00 AM   #24
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Yet another twist to this:

Winter is coming. Any bets that the auction outfit will be heated? Bets about them knowing how to winterize an AS properly (and doing so)? If it auctions fast that may not be an issue. If it's sitting on the lot in January .... yikes .... If you *do* winterize it, you will be the only one bidding who knows it's been done properly.

Equally, you do have storage costs. Even if it's in your driveway for the winter, there is a cost to that. If you pay for storage then it's a dollar cost in cash. For most of us, the trailer will go into winter storage mode in late October / early November. It will come out some time in March or April (or May) depending on the forecast. That's a bit of storage.

Maybe you take the money and buy a new trailer when the 2021's come out ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:13 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Minneapolis , Minnesota
Hey everyone,
Quick update, It sounds as if our adjuster is unwilling or "unable" to lower the buy back price. His last email states that the insurance company uses an independent outside source for the buy back price and they can not adjust this price. I'm going to push a a little further but if this is the case I think we will definitely take the full check and go from there. If it goes that way, I'm fairly sure I'll try and follow it thought the auction process and see what happens. I know there is a local used car / rv dealer that seems to buy up up totaled Airstreams as they are currently advertising a few. If we decide to try and buy it back we may butt heads with this dealer.

One other piece of this puzzle I didn't mention at first, is that we are dealing with a significant warranty fix on this trailer. Water has been getting under the vinyl floor and saturating the subfloor causing mold. The dealer at first thought it was coming from a bad wheel well seal, as they have seen this in other trailers. But we just determined that the water supply to the water heater is leaking when the water heater is fired up. Since this is a pretty intensive fix, we were going to have this fixed over the Winter when the service center slowed down and we weren't camping any more.

I think this may be another argument to let the trailer go so we don't have to deal with this any more.
fishbisquit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:37 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbisquit View Post
Hey everyone,
Quick update, It sounds as if our adjuster is unwilling or "unable" to lower the buy back price. His last email states that the insurance company uses an independent outside source for the buy back price and they can not adjust this price. I'm going to push a a little further but if this is the case I think we will definitely take the full check and go from there. If it goes that way, I'm fairly sure I'll try and follow it thought the auction process and see what happens. I know there is a local used car / rv dealer that seems to buy up up totaled Airstreams as they are currently advertising a few. If we decide to try and buy it back we may butt heads with this dealer.

One other piece of this puzzle I didn't mention at first, is that we are dealing with a significant warranty fix on this trailer. Water has been getting under the vinyl floor and saturating the subfloor causing mold. The dealer at first thought it was coming from a bad wheel well seal, as they have seen this in other trailers. But we just determined that the water supply to the water heater is leaking when the water heater is fired up. Since this is a pretty intensive fix, we were going to have this fixed over the Winter when the service center slowed down and we weren't camping any more.

I think this may be another argument to let the trailer go so we don't have to deal with this any more.

Agreed!

Link to our shared album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/wACfGg1KcroVLP5m6
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 06:16 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Yeah, take the check and go Airstream shopping.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:15 AM   #28
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you have a potential floor rot issue ..... dump the trailer. A leak that has been going on for a while could get you into all sorts of repair nonsense. Forget the buy back, just move on.

Bob
Old 09-26-2019, 10:28 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
Take the money and run.

2019 Ford F-350 Platinum
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:39 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Ojai , California
Best advice, take the offer and find your next Airstream!
Accredited Appraisal Firm www.PolkAssociates-llc.com
SilverPal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:43 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Lansdale , Pennsylvania
No brainer. Take the buy back.
Quote:
We have a 2018 AS 16 sport that got some minor / major hail damage this Spring. It's minor in the fact that it is not very noticeable but major because it's on all the upper panels. Got an estimate to fix and high enough that our insurance company has decided to total the trailer. Basically we have 2 options.

1. Total, Give up trailer to insurance co and recieve a check for almost what we paid for it a year ago. $41k

2. Buy Back, Keep trailer with hail damage and "buy back" for $20k. It is our understanding trailer will have a salvage title and our insurance co will only insure it for $20k now. (currently trying to negotiate a better buy back price)

We are really trying to make a non emotional smart choice. Looking for resources for real world values of used airstreams. Are there any? Also we know a salvage title will affect our resale value but have no idea how much. Any ideas?
tommym1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:37 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Manchester , New Hampshire
Were you long term happy with the trailer?

The first Airstream I bought was a 2016 20FB with a salvage title. Paid about 30k. We used it for a year. It would have been a great purchase if we didn’t decide we wanted a larger trailer. I sold it for about 5K less then I paid. It wasn’t that difficult but I was willing to take a loss.

If you know that you will be happy with a 16’ trailer buying it back is a good deal. If you think in a few years you will want something bigger its a different kettle of fish.

Steve
Steven62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:43 AM   #33
SouthernAFColonel

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Salisbury , North Carolina
Take the Money

Quote:
We have a 2018 AS 16 sport that got some minor / major hail damage this Spring. It's minor in the fact that it is not very noticeable but major because it's on all the upper panels. Got an estimate to fix and high enough that our insurance company has decided to total the trailer. Basically we have 2 options.

1. Total, Give up trailer to insurance co and recieve a check for almost what we paid for it a year ago. $41k

2. Buy Back, Keep trailer with hail damage and "buy back" for $20k. It is our understanding trailer will have a salvage title and our insurance co will only insure it for $20k now. (currently trying to negotiate a better buy back price)

We are really trying to make a non emotional smart choice. Looking for resources for real world values of used airstreams. Are there any? Also we know a salvage title will affect our resale value but have no idea how much. Any ideas?

We went through the same thing and "bought back" the trailer from the insurance company, had it repaired. We had a 2007 FB Safari that we loved, but we should have taken the full insurance amount offered instead of having it repaired. My thinking was, we know this trailer and any problems have been fixed. But, when we wanted to sell it, we had lots of difficulty because of the salvage title. Better to take the money and get what you want.
AFCOLONEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 11:33 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Airstreams go fairly high at auction so it might see upwards of half the value anyway at auction. I’ve passed up two years worth because of this reason.

Never bought back a trailer but going rate on autos used to be 10 percent of the value but now we are seeing higher percentages on buy backs, but your offer seems outrageously high.

Normally I’d pocket a deal but this seems like a no-brainer to take the money and run.

One other thing, the auction is never a “sure thing”. There are other bidders to risk going up against, they are usually not kind to vehicles, things could freeze, you might not get back the same trailer as it went in as. They move stuff around with huge forklifts so keep in mind it might not get treated like your baby and if you’d happen to get it back, you might risk a few or a lot of other issues.

I’d find a better deal on new and start over, but good luck!!
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 12:26 PM   #35
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you do go the auction route, have a max number worked out long before. The above mentioned 10% of value sounds like a realistic max to me. If somebody else wants it worse than that, let them have it.

Bob
Old 09-29-2019, 09:39 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
San Jose , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Since it is a 16' I agree with the above advise.
Take the money and buy a used 22FB. You will be happy you upgraded.
Konakcc is offline   Reply With Quote