Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2005, 07:50 PM   #1
r-2
1 Rivet Member

Help! Value for Insurance

Many of you saw my parent's '84 Airstream Excella 500 31' in the classifieds about a month ago (http://www.thornapplefarm.us/AirstreamExcella31).

Unfortunately, a big storm hit their park and a large tree broke and fell on it (see below). Luckily they were (a) in an Airstream, (b) sitting about a yard away from where it hit. Otherwise they would have been seriously hurt or worse.

The insurance company is saying that comparable Airstreams would sell from dealers they talked to for $6,000 - $7,000 although they have not found any actual sales. We are left in the position of trying to prove otherwise. We have sent them copies of ads on this forum, but they are unmoved. Can anyone help with actual sale prices of comparable trailers. This was a really nice traler and I hate to see them lose so much money on it!

Thanks for your help!
Ron

PS: I know you want to see what happened when two 18-24" limbs broke off a tree about 20 feet above the Airstream!
http://www.thornapplefarm.us/Airstre...la31/l-int.jpg
http://www.thornapplefarm.us/Airstre...a31/l-side.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	l-int.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	13679   Click image for larger version

Name:	l-side.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	13680  

Click image for larger version

Name:	l-tree.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	13681   Click image for larger version

Name:	l-wide.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	13682  

r-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 07:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I saw a 1980 Excella II 25' go for $10,000 on ebay several years ago and have seen numerous 31' trailers in the late 70's to mid 80's go from $6,000 to $9,500. Keep your eyes on ebay for comparable prices.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 09:09 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
This 1983 31' Excela sold on ebay in early May:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AWN%3AMT%3A1

I kept the link, and have printed off the info for just the same reasons..... I don't want to argue with the insurance company if we ever have another claim!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 08-01-2005, 04:54 AM   #4
r-2
1 Rivet Member

Problem with eBay

The trouble with mentioning eBay is that it opens a can of worms. So many Airstreams go through there dirt cheap. I give them a high one, they show me the ones that went for $3-4,000, even though the one listed below is probably more market. Also auctions are sales of last resort.

Anyone have any idea about how to find dealer sales?

Thanks!
Ron
Old 08-01-2005, 05:28 AM   #5
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
My sympathy for your loss ...

Who is the underwriter of the policy?

Does the policy stand alone, or is it attached to a home or auto policy?

Can we assume that you did not have an agreed value policy?

What distance from you is the nearest Airstream dealer?
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:21 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-2
The trouble with mentioning eBay is that it opens a can of worms. So many Airstreams go through there dirt cheap. I give them a high one, they show me the ones that went for $3-4,000, even though the one listed below is probably more market. Also auctions are sales of last resort.

Anyone have any idea about how to find dealer sales?

Thanks!
Ron
Just type a Google search for "Airstream trailer for sale", you should get a slew of them to choose from.
As a last resort, your parents could take all the money they can get from the insurance company, keep the trailer, and sell parts off it. They could easily get another $2000+ for the parts, if they put their minds to it. Tires, wheels, the propane tank cover, the roof A/C, fridge, etc, all have a value. Then when they are done "scrapping the Caddy, Clyde", they can sell the shell of the trailer for the aluminum.
Old 08-04-2005, 07:58 PM   #7
r-2
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood
My sympathy for your loss ...

Who is the underwriter of the policy?

Does the policy stand alone, or is it attached to a home or auto policy?

Can we assume that you did not have an agreed value policy?

What distance from you is the nearest Airstream dealer?
It was insured by Amica as part of an auto policy. My parents believed that it was insured at a fixed value of $15,000 and the original claims agent said the same thing, but when it came time to cut the check, the fine print actually said "not to exceed" $15K and the insurance company is figuring it was just any 20 year old trailer and they should be happy with so much! The insurance company was in a rush to get it out of the park, so now my elderly parents are left with mixed memories and a few picures. It's just not right!
Ron
Old 08-04-2005, 10:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Screwing 101..

You might try Colonial RV (Airstream Dealer in NJ) or Paul Sherry RV (Airstream dealer near Columbus OH and Jackson Ctr). Both handle large numbers of good used Airstreams.. Colonial just sold "88 25' Rear twin unit for $12K+ in average condition (within past 6 months..) and either of them might be able to be helpful.. You might have to offer to pay for remote appraisal, or to have them submit legal affidavit of prior sales...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 07:14 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

"The insurance company was in a rush to get it out of the park, so now my elderly parents are left with mixed memories and a few picures. It's just not right!
Ron"

Are you saying that the insurance co. took the trailer already, even though they haven't settled with your parents yet? That certainly is not right, and might work in your parent's favour if they raise a big stink about the company taking thier trailer before they legally owned it. Sadly it all boils down to how good they are at moanin', bitchin' and threatening till they get a decent settlement. Lay into the adjuster really hard to get him onside, call him constantly (several times a day), hound him to death, call him names, call the ins. co names, threaten court - whatever it takes. Go for the gusto - say that you want the 15 grand,not a penny less, or you want it fixed and stick to that until they hit you with a good offer. They know what the trailer is really worth - they are really just like everyone else and want a "deal". They hope that you'll just jump at the first low-ball offer and then go away. Make sure that they know you are never going away until things are settled to your satisfaction. Just my 2 cents. P.
Peter&Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 07:47 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

My condolences to your family. The trailer sure looks well kept.
The link to the sale notice didn't come up for me, so what were they asking for the trailer?

Where is the trailer now?
Is it weather proofed? i.e. dryed in or covered?
Did they salvage the awning cloth before moving it? thats worth 250 or so dollars if not ripped. 150 prob if small repairable rip.

Did you all remove all personal belongings?
Was the AC hit and damaged?
Is there anything in the trailer that you suspect is being damaged by the weather getting in?

Who paid for the tarp that is shown in the pictures? Add that cost to the insurance bill.
If you are being charged storage at a holding yard, it will add up quickly while the negotiations are going on. The insurance will pay this for only so long then it comes off the top of your settlement. Do you know the daily amount?
Do you all have a place to store it free? If so do so asap.

Is it movable on its own chassis (wheels)?
Insurance settlement is a science they'd like you to believe, but actually it is a racket IMHO.
But they hold nearly all the cards. If you can find a place to secure the property and if you all can afford to not lose your patience, you will have much more leverage.

Have they given you a salvage value yet?
That is what you would be able to buy it back from them for.

Please share all your travails with us here. It is great help to those of us who may be the next victims of similar misfortune. Please don't leave us not knowing the "rest of the story". And of course best of luck in your negotiations.
roadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 08:12 PM   #11
r-2
1 Rivet Member

Roadeo: Try the link below again, it works from here. The insurance company was as anxious to haul the trailer away as my parents were to return to their home in Florida and put the disaster behind them. They removed some of their personal belongings, but left much behind, due to the rush and the distance. You make some good points on the insurance. And I will keep you advised, but it looks like a long haul.

Peter&Denise: I will point out to my Dad about them taking it without settling, but he may have given them permission to do so. The park was not thrilled about having a wreck there. And I'm sure he will work on the insurance company, but they are possibly trying to wait him out and not doing their job in collecting fair comparison values. It should not be up the insured!

Thanks everyone for your encouragement. It is hard for them to end 50+ years of trailering on this unpleasant note!
Ron
Old 08-16-2005, 07:49 PM   #12
r-2
1 Rivet Member

Post Good News Everyone

OK, here is the latest . . .

With a lot of complaining (hey, Dad has a lot of time on his hands), the claim finally made it to someone who knew the value of an Airstream and realized it wasn't some beat up old crappy trailer. Amica paid the full $15K. Dad is happy (and the insurance company, too, I'm sure).

Thank you everyone on this Forum for your support. It really helped and he appreciated the messages you all sent.

Ron
Old 08-16-2005, 07:58 PM   #13
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Hooray !!

I LOVE HAPPY ENDINGS !
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote