Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2021, 04:45 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Rogers , Arkansas
skyguyscott,
If we could look at life (not just hail damage) like this, we would all be "happy campers!"
Great advise! I am doing my best to live like this but rarely succeed. :-)
I will keep trying though.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:15 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Let's say you can ignore it. If someday down the road you decide to sell, no one will want to buy it.
There's no guarantee that your next trailer won't get hail damage either.
Lesser of bad choices.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:19 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
I used to build models as a kid; anyone could paint their F-15 to look like new, but only the highly skilled experts could apply realistic battle damage.

Later I learn that there are crafts people in Hollywood, expert carpenters, painters who not only build brand new sets, but who “age” them. On purpose.

In Japan, an old tea cup veined with hairline cracks covering the enamel is admired for it’s beauty.

Entropy seems to be baked into the crust of the universe. We can fight it, or hide it, try to ignore it, or deny it, but I haven’t found anyone who has yet beat it.

A brand new shinny Airstream draws a lot of attention, but they don’t stay that way without a lot of fuss and expended energy, time and money. Fortunately, that new appearance isn’t required for camping where my gaze hopefully will be drawn to the wonders around me rather than the tin trailer I sleep in.

At some point in our life, most of us come to terms with the stranger we see in the mirror who looks more and more like our parents than us, perhaps after going through the stages of grief, or perhaps because we fundamentally understand the way life works.

I think if I spend more time effort and energy on what matters and don’t worry so much about the stuff that doesn’t, maybe I'll get though it a bit happier?

Can you ignore the dents? I dunno. Can you?
Well said!
That reminds me of the ancient Samurai warriors, of Japan.
Their example for how they lived ,and finally didn't, was the Cherry blossom flower.
"One day in full bloom, the next day gone..."
It is what it is.
B. Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:40 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Congratulations, your Airstream is now more aerodynamic! (seriously) Studies have shown that a dimpled surface (like a golf ball) is more aerodynamic than a smooth one.

It varies by state, but in CO, you can have a vehicle "totalled" by your insurance, but this fact is never reflected on the title. I actually have two vehicles that were "totalled" but are still insured by the same insurance company (after I "bought them back"). Speak with your insurance company to see how they handle "buy back." Sometimes a totalled vehicle goes to auction, but often they have a standard buy back price preconfigured for these situations. Sometimes the buy back is based on the extent of the damage, so the insurance adjuster's appraisal gets factored in.

I certainly would not *fill* any dimples on the roof. Visible dimples on the rest of the surface depend on the owner's willingness to live with showing off "experience points." ;-)
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:59 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
True, You might work out a buy back but difficult in this market, I buy these from insurance companyís and have had several like yours and never an issue with the roof! Airstreamrepair. Com
JerryAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 07:03 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Not true unless they live on a ladder! Take the title and put it into a drawer! I know several buyers right now.
JerryAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:19 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideair View Post
Based on the pictures, it appears to be worse on the painted white area than the non-painted area? Is that because it's a different grade of aluminum?

I'd be inclined to do a buy-back, filled the dents with filler, paint white and you'd never know it happened. The end caps might be a quicker/cheaper repair.

The real question becomes, do you like the trailer and did you plan to keep it for a long time anyway? Look at it this way, they could buy you out, you then add $$$ to that amount, buy another trailer and the same thing happen on your next outing.

Patch, Paint, Solar and Go!

Enjoy,

Yes we planned to keep and use our Airstream until we are unable to travel due to health reasons, so we want to keep this a long time. We have put upgrades in and paid it off recently. I think you can see the damage more on the enameled roof because we have similar damage to the front and rear caps as well.
silvereagle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 07:20 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter417 View Post
What does it look like from the ground?

Canít see the roof from street level but front and end caps need to be replaced at a minimum
Old 04-07-2021, 07:38 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Cary , North Carolina
UPDATE: After communications with Airstream Service at Jackson Center, they believe (based on review of our pictures) that they can do an overlay of the roof, and that they do this all of the time with this situation. We have an appointment in mid August for them to do all of the body work. They said to plan to leave our trailer for at least 2 weeks to get the work done.

So, pending the approval of our insurance adjuster after inspection of our damage on April 19th, we will have our local dealer fix all of the roof vents and covers and do the body work by Jackson Center in August.

If this works out we are very relieved because we get our rig back this month so we can use it for planned trips in May, June, and July and then we will get our rig restored to pre-damage condition by September for more camping!

We canít say enough good things about how Out of Doors Mart and Jackson Center are treating us through this ordeal!
Old 04-07-2021, 07:44 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvereagle2 View Post
UPDATE: After communications with Airstream Service at Jackson Center, they believe (based on review of our pictures) that they can do an overlay of the roof, and that they do this all of the time with this situation. We have an appointment in mid August for them to do all of the body work. They said to plan to leave our trailer for at least 2 weeks to get the work done.

So, pending the approval of our insurance adjuster after inspection of our damage on April 19th, we will have our local dealer fix all of the roof vents and covers and do the body work by Jackson Center in August.

If this works out we are very relieved because we get our rig back this month so we can use it for planned trips in May, June, and July and then we will get our rig restored to pre-damage condition by September for more camping!

We canít say enough good things about how Out of Doors Mart and Jackson Center are treating us through this ordeal!
If the air space is maintained it should improve insulation too. It will also be more robust for the next storm. Airstreams are great.
Peter417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:59 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Penn Laird , Virginia
I had walnuts fall from a tree and dent my curved panel in the rear ó the panel with the three amber marking lights. I bought online, from Eastwood, their Eastwood Paintless Dent removal kit, and it greatly improved the dents. Then, after several weeks in the sun, the remaining imperfections disappeared. The kit has a hot glue gun and a collection of different size and shape plastic knobs, a slide hammer, and a hand grip squeeze Puller Tool. You apply hot glue to the selected plastic knob and stick it on the dent. You wait ten or fifteen seconds. Then you pull on the knob until it releases. It pulls the dent out. You can repeat as necessary. It works great, and does not damage the paint, miraculously. I also used the kit on my neighborís car dent, on a steel panel, and it greatly improved the dent. Itís strong! If there is creasing it wonít remove that. In your case, you have no creasing, so Iím confident itíd pull out your dents pretty well. I suggest that for the fifty or so dollars the kit costs you canít loose, by getting one and trying it. Itíd take many, many, hours of work, but cost you only fifty or so dollars you could end up with a very satisfactory result, Iíll bet. You can Google Eastwood and watch their videos, and google You Tube Eastwood Paintless Dent Removal Kit and watch other videos produced by several people. There is a You Tube by a man using the kit removing dents from his late model Airstream. The thing to remember is to do it in warm weather, and if there is sun on the surfaces all the better, and if itís not perfect just move along to another dent, and then let the completed trailer sit out in the sun for several weeks and it should get even better.
evamcmahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:09 AM   #32

2021 30' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , North Carolina
It’s nice to hear that Out of Doors Mart is helpful and taking care of you. We ordered from them and are taking delivery of FC this month and can not wait!
DarnNim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:16 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Euless , TX
I had a similar situation. They do a lay-over not a replacement. After that, it has leaked for one year and 4 trips back. If it does not leak, I would not fix it.

I think they stopped the leaking this time. Yes, at JC.
VacuumKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:11 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
We had hail damage too

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvereagle2 View Post
We sustained severe hail damage to our 2014 27Fb. Does anyone have any advice or experience to share?
We went through a similar hail damage event.

Our solution: total insurance settlement and buy back. This post has all the settlement costs.

We properly addressed the leak potentials, and we continue enjoying our Classic 15 years after the hail damage event.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 05:03 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Anchorage , AK
Interesting reading this thread. Taking it off to a lightly different direction, say you're driving along or camping and realize you're going to be in a storm that may have significant hail in about 15 minutes. Could you quickly put up a couple of old sleeping bags and then cover with blue tarp, and bungee them down to make any difference?
MikeAnkorage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 08:59 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Mike, I think if you think through your idea, the answer will present itself:

There is a storm, likely to produce hail. These storms usually entail rain and high winds, perhaps a risk of a tornado.

You think, in the middle of this storm, the first thing to mind is to go out into the wind and rain to cover the Airstream.

You somehow manage to convince someone else to join you out in the wind and rain and possible tornado to assist.

You discuss a plan of action, out in the rain, wind, over the thunder, how to toss up sleeping bags to cover the roof of your trailer, and get them to stay there, in the wind, while you then try to toss up and cover an even lighter blue tarp on top.

Then, the bungees....hmmmmm...
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 09:37 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
North Dakota. Had single minutes warning. Ran out of trailer to truck to drive to evacuation area. Got to shelter with a couple minutes to spare. Truck and trailer left outside to chance. This happens really quick.

Fortunately storm moved slightly to the north so we dodged a bullet.
kscherzi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:41 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Of course there is another option, leave the damage and create a new logo ,
Titelist Edition

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:40 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
We went through a similar hail damage event.

Our solution: total insurance settlement and buy back. This post has all the settlement costs.

We properly addressed the leak potentials, and we continue enjoying our Classic 15 years after the hail damage event.

73/gus
Thank you for the excellent links and detailed historical perspective from 2006.
Have pun, will travail . . .
Have a little pun in life . . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:09 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Seeing that suddenly makes the cost of building a garage or at least a roofed shelter a bit more cost effective.

Too bad the zoning codes won't allow it in my neighborhood.