Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2020, 06:13 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Yup. Its unfortunate, but its part of the game. If we never went out because it might rain or storm, we wouldn't ever use it.

This is actually the SECOND TIME We were hailed on. Last year when we were in New Mexico, we were in a 15 minute hail storm. Though then, they were only pea size and didnt hurt anything.
JJTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 03:51 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTX View Post
Yup. Its unfortunate, but its part of the game. If we never went out because it might rain or storm, we wouldn't ever use it.

This is actually the SECOND TIME We were hailed on. Last year when we were in New Mexico, we were in a 15 minute hail storm. Though then, they were only pea size and didnt hurt anything.
Need to move closer to Austin...we never got any and we are just down the road a bit..LOL (actually, not envious of the damage at all.)
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 06:07 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
The next year of living like Scrooge to rebuild my reserve of cash was not all that miserable, and the END was never 5 or 10 or 12 years down the road.

Don't gamble what you cannot afford to lose - always good advice.

If you have Champagne tastes on a beer budget, drink beer, or drink water and save up for champagne. You CAN be perfectly happy with an A-frame camper or a popup while rebuilding the financial kitty. Do not get discouraged. (And next time plan in $1000 for a quick deploying blow up tent/shelter for the Airstream.)
Where would I find such a quick-deploying tent?

Good advice unless you're as old as me (74, and I think you are close!) because I don't have the time to wait. Every day I wait and save money is one less day I will have to camp in it. And who knows if I would be in any physical condition to camp if I wait and save? Nope, gotta do it while the bod is still hale and relatively hearty.

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 06:36 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I noticed this huge inflatable raft on Amazon. Several of these would protect a whole Airstream in a pinch. Those with more hail experience care to weigh in about having some of these onboard just in case?
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 06:40 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
I noticed this huge inflatable raft on Amazon. Several of these would protect a whole Airstream in a pinch. Those with more hail experience care to weigh in about having some of these onboard just in case?

Unless you put it up for every storm that might generate hail, you wont have time.

There was no time to set up anything in the 3 minutes it took to cause 43K in damage. There was no warning.

ETA: And doing it during a storm, is a good way to get hurt, either lightning ( lightning can and does kill people 20 miles away from the storms center ) or by getting hit with big pieces of ICE
Old 01-31-2020, 04:57 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
I found out today they will repair the damage.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:04 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
You might consider taking it to Airstream for the repairs. They know what they are doing and have everything there.

If not, make sure the Airstream dealer has all the replacement parts in stock before you take the rig to them. So you can use it in the mean time and don't have to wait for months having it sit on their lot.
Old 02-02-2020, 05:32 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamNTyme View Post
You might consider taking it to Airstream for the repairs. They know what they are doing and have everything there.

If not, make sure the Airstream dealer has all the replacement parts in stock before you take the rig to them. So you can use it in the mean time and don't have to wait for months having it sit on their lot.

I would never take it anywhere else. Its going where I got it from new.

They can have it April 6 when we are done with camping for the year, until fall.
Old 02-02-2020, 05:58 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quick deploying.blow up tent.... lots of new tents don't have ribs or poles but air filled channels that support the fabric. Car dealers use these for shade bays. A big inflatable boat turned upside down might cover a 23 footer, but lifting it is a bear without 8 people.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:07 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Quick deploying.blow up tent.... lots of new tents don't have ribs or poles but air filled channels that support the fabric. Car dealers use these for shade bays. A big inflatable boat turned upside down might cover a 23 footer, but lifting it is a bear without 8 people.

ANd when it blows away and damages someone elses property you get sued ..
Old 02-09-2020, 05:28 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Trailer goes to the dealer for repairs early April. It looks like about 2-3 weeks of repair work.

We are happy it was NOT totaled.

This is a foremost insurance ( via Farmers ) claim.

We have had no problems at all with the claims process in case anyone is wondering.

I do expect my rate on my renewal to go up. But you never know with insurance companies since it was a COMP claim and not collision. I won't know until August when the policy renews.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:43 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJTX View Post
Trailer goes to the dealer for repairs early April. It looks like about 2-3 weeks of repair work.

We are happy it was NOT totaled.

This is a foremost insurance ( via Farmers ) claim.

We have had no problems at all with the claims process in case anyone is wondering.

I do expect my rate on my renewal to go up. But you never know with insurance companies since it was a COMP claim and not collision. I won't know until August when the policy renews.
Good to hear. I have both trailers covered by Foremost.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:03 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
That is such good news: trailer not totaled, and repairs paid for and underway soon! Couldn't ask for better than that. Of course waiting to find out about a raise in premium will be unpleasant, but still, overall good news.

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:42 AM   #54
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWind View Post
I had appraisals done by Jim Polk at Polk Valuations, and purchased agreed value replacement policies from Foremost (Farmers Insurance) on both my 68 Caravel and 2017 International. I always avoid travel in certain Rocky Mountain and Southwest states in early summer (hail season).
Foremost is a great company...for the most part.

We had our first Allison GSE,(boat) insured with them, agreed value, comp, with trailer. $340/yr.
Totally destroyed in storage facility fire.
Claim handled completely by email & Phone, claim inspection not possible as nothing was left of the building.
Fire happened Nov 6th, the money was in our account by Dec 16th.
May of the next year our premium was raised to $960.🥴

We now insure the new boat with Geico Marine, $335/yr. 👍

Bob
🇺🇸

BTW...2 AS also gone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00099.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	360926   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1662.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	360927  

Old 07-19-2020, 05:10 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2024 23' International
South of Austin , Texas
Got my renewal notice on the insurance from Foremost. It went up $20 Month. Not bad considering how much they paid out.