Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2023, 02:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Hail Damage Insurance Claim

Need some input from others that have experience with insurance claims. April 26 in Melbourne, Florida there was a "Historic" hail storm. Our 2019 FC 25 RBT sustained Hail damage to the aft end of the trailer. All 5 curved panels above the rear window and the 2 curved lower panels (tail lights mounted on these) need to be replaced. The AC/Heat Pump unit also to be replaced. MAJOR SURGERY! We have an estimate based on photos from a reputable dealer. Insurance claim started (Progressive Insurance Policy). Adjuster to view on Tuesday, 30 May. Sooo....do we have it all fixed and risk the repair will be done correctly, meaning no leaks, etc. OR, do we entertain a cash settlement based on deminished value and use it the way it is?

This has been a very good trailer. No issues from day one. No leaks, Everything works as it should. The damage is cosmetic only. AC/Heat Pump works but a good bit of the fins have been flattened out. I could comb these straight and cross my fingers that it continues working. We have no plans to sell the trailer and would continue to use as is.

The major surgery scares me. 1500 Olympic Rivets are part of the repair estimate. That it a bunch of rivets!

What are your thoughts on this. Please advise. We may send Pics to JC for 2nd estimate based on our meeting with the Progressive Adjuster. Thanks.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 06:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
We suffered thru a Colorado Springs hail storm in 2018 that was horrific … it burst completely thru the roof of several motorhomes and SOB RVs…. and shot-peened our AS and Tow Vehicle..even broke the windshield of the truck.
We completed our 3-mo journey fine and returning home, got estimates. The truck roof, W/S, hood, fenders, etc were completely replaced! (I didn’t know they could cut the roof off a pickup cab and replace it….but they did….and the entire truck repair is undetectable.)

The Airstream estimate was made by a well-known Airstream repair-shop in Paradise, Tx and it came to about $28K requiring replacement of all front/rear curved panels and the roof, etc. (Amazingly despite the motorcoach next to us losing it’s roof and all skylights…our skylight was unharmed.)

Anyway, State Farm didn’t even send an adjuster to look at it, they totalled the trailer and planned to pay us for it’s insureed value…. (We had it insured for $30K in 2018). I asked what it’d cost me to buy it back…. $7K… so that’s what we agreed to, and I paid for the end-panels to be replaced. It was my opinion that little hail dents in the roof are out-of-sight, not bad to look at anyway and therefore unimportant form the standpoint of integrity…. we kept the trailer and few people have ever noticed…. and we enjoy the ownership/use of a great camper.
These pics are (top to bottom) Glamping with the AS Alamo Unit, Boondocking in MT, Boondocking in AZ near Grand Canyon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1937.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	550.8 KB
ID:	432243   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1936.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	432244  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1934.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	773.4 KB
ID:	432246  
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 07:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
I tried to edit my post above…but time expired for that…. I paid for TWo of the end panels to be replaced….the ones which I damaged due to my backing into a cypress tree in Canyonlands N.F. ….not hail damage.

The repair was performed by A&P Vintage Trailer Works in Paradise, Tx.

Bottom Line ? We thoroughly enjoy the utility and design of our Airstream without worry about minor dings and scratches which are meaningless to the experience of camping…but are part of the memories of happy times….”badges of courage”…and yet to those unfamiliar with this story, receive frequent compliments on owning an Airstream.
Old 05-24-2023, 05:16 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Broward , Florida
It is the policy of many insurance companies to give you a low-ball estimate based on photographs that you send them. They will rapidly cut you a check hoping you will be thrilled with the amount. Some people will accept it thinking that they can fix it themselves, or perhaps live with the damage and pocket the difference. Don't try that with an Airstream. They are extremely expensive to repair at a professional shop and the final bill will be many times more than the initial estimate.
Andy543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 07:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy543 View Post
It is the policy of many insurance companies to give you a low-ball estimate based on photographs that you send them. They will rapidly cut you a check hoping you will be thrilled with the amount. Some people will accept it thinking that they can fix it themselves, or perhaps live with the damage and pocket the difference. Don't try that with an Airstream. They are extremely expensive to repair at a professional shop and the final bill will be many times more than the initial estimate.
Thanks for input. In our case an actual adjuster is going to come to the house and look at it. No pictures were sent to the insurance company. Repair estimate was based on several pictures sent to the dealer. Service manager was very responsive and provided a detailed estimate. This is in the ballpark of a $25k repair. No chance of us being lowballed by the insurance company. We have already established the current retail value of our Airstream and have input on the diminished value on the resale market if sold with damage. Having major surgery on the entire end cap makes me very nervous. We have no plans to sell but want as much info as possible to get a fair and equitable settlement. We realize insurance companies are not in the business of just handing out $$$. See where this goes and will keep progress posted. Any additional comments or experiences will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-24-2023, 07:25 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' International CCD
Beaumont , California
Additionally, having a trailer totaled-out results in a Salvage title, reducing the trailer’s market value.

That may not be important to you, or it might.
Ndcctrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 07:27 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Broward , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
Thanks for input. In our case an actual adjuster is going to come to the house and look at it. No pictures were sent to the insurance company. Repair estimate was based on several pictures sent to the dealer. Service manager was very responsive and provided a detailed estimate. This is in the ballpark of a $25k repair. No chance of us being lowballed by the insurance company. We have already established the current retail value of our Airstream and have input on the diminished value on the resale market if sold with damage. Having major surgery on the entire end cap makes me very nervous. We have no plans to sell but want as much info as possible to get a fair and equitable settlement. We realize insurance companies are not in the business of just handing out $$$. See where this goes and will keep progress posted. Any additional comments or experiences will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
In my case, someone crashed into me on the interstate. I sent Geico the pictures and they sent me a check for $6000. I sent the same pictures to the Airstream repair shop and they gave me an estimate for $24,000. Then, when I actually brought the trailer there to have it fixed they revised the estimate to $48,000. The parts alone came to $12,000. Geico paid it all in the end. I'm glad I didn't just accept their first offer.
Andy543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 08:01 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
I sent photos to Allstate, then photos to Airstream. Airstream estimate was between $25k - $30k. Allstate determined fair value of our 2017 20FB Flying Cloud was $75k which seemed a bit high, but at any rate they sent a check for the repair promptly. Likewise our truck had $6,000 in damage which was repaired by PDR and came out perfect. We could not find anyone locally willing to try PDR on the Airstream, so I glue pulled the worst ones and we just live with the rest. None were bad enough to cause leaks so it is cosmetic. We have been with Allstate for decades and this was our first claim, the claim processors were very prompt and courteous, added a few days to get approval since it was over $25k but still very easy claim process.

Whether or not they declare it a total loss is complicated, it is not as simple as the repair cost vs fair value, it is whether or not the amount they recover by selling it vs paying for repair is worth their time and trouble.

P.S. If you have a lienholder I think the payment may go to them to reduce the amount of your loan, if you choose not to get the repair done, not certain how that works.
Old 05-24-2023, 08:25 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Col. Station , Ohio
In Ohio a salvage title means no insurance outside of liability and also reduces value. We tried to buy back ours but the figure was so high that we opted to take the insurance money.
Flynavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 09:51 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Waterford , New York
I had panels replaced due to defective clear coat. I brought it back to airstream so the new panels were buck riveted in. I’m not sure what the difference in strength is between buck and Olympic rivets but my thought is the insurance company should be returning it to pre Storm condition and it did not come with Olympic Rivets.
Larry1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 10:12 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2016 19' Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
We had hail damage to all curved panels anf the roof 28k in damage. Progressive did not blink in the repair. We had a through adjuster. Replaced all damaged panels except roof. No leaks or problems. My annual premium stayed virtually the same.
Sgilcrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 10:28 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2003 28' Classic
Stillwater , Oklahoma
Buy it back from them and fix what you want. Also went through the storm in 2018 in Woodland Park. Totaled by SF, great settlement.
ttrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 11:07 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Boulder , Colorado
Good time to trade in

Living in Colorado, we find hail storms to be rather common. In 2019 our airstream was damaged in a storm, all cosmetic issues except for a skylight. I took it to the “local” airstream dealer to get an estimate for the repairs, and they totaled $18k. Our insurance company immediately issued us a check for the total amount, and I scheduled the repairs with the dealer. On the scheduled day, upon dropping off the trailer, I asked the dealer what he’d give us for the trailer “as-is” were we to trade it in on a new airstream. Between that offer and the insurance money the total was actually more than what we’d paid originally. So, we took the opportunity to upgrade into a slightly larger model, which has been perfect for us ever since. I’m sure the dealership got the transaction to pencil-out for them financially, but the well-timed hail storm was a nice event for us too. Of course, we now keep the new airstream in a covered facility.
coerector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 01:29 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Knoxville , Tennessee
Hail Damage repair

[We have had both of our AS repaired in Knoxville area. Perfect repairs - 12 panels and no leaks.

The tech has over 20 years exp. Left AS dealer last year but still does repairs at his shop.

Recommend him without reservation.

QUOTE=uraljohn;2679563]Need some input from others that have experience with insurance claims. April 26 in Melbourne, Florida there was a "Historic" hail storm. Our 2019 FC 25 RBT sustained Hail damage to the aft end of the trailer. All 5 curved panels above the rear window and the 2 curved lower panels (tail lights mounted on these) need to be replaced. The AC/Heat Pump unit also to be replaced. MAJOR SURGERY! We have an estimate based on photos from a reputable dealer. Insurance claim started (Progressive Insurance Policy). Adjuster to view on Tuesday, 30 May. Sooo....do we have it all fixed and risk the repair will be done correctly, meaning no leaks, etc. OR, do we entertain a cash settlement based on deminished value and use it the way it is?

This has been a very good trailer. No issues from day one. No leaks, Everything works as it should. The damage is cosmetic only. AC/Heat Pump works but a good bit of the fins have been flattened out. I could comb these straight and cross my fingers that it continues working. We have no plans to sell the trailer and would continue to use as is.

The major surgery scares me. 1500 Olympic Rivets are part of the repair estimate. That it a bunch of rivets!

What are your thoughts on this. Please advise. We may send Pics to JC for 2nd estimate based on our meeting with the Progressive Adjuster. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
G W Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 03:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1492 View Post
I had panels replaced due to defective clear coat. I brought it back to airstream so the new panels were buck riveted in. I’m not sure what the difference in strength is between buck and Olympic rivets but my thought is the insurance company should be returning it to pre Storm condition and it did not come with Olympic Rivets.
Thanks for your response. Yes, I have concerns over the Buck rivets vs Olympic rivets in the repair. To use buck rivets all the interior panels would have to be removed at the back end of the trailer. Even more invasive surgery. I think the Buck rivets are probably better, but the amount of labor to remove the inside would be a bunch more $$$. Going to be real interesting to see what the insurance adjuster says next Tuesday, 30 may. Hmmm....
Old 05-24-2023, 04:13 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Flagstaff , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post

What are your thoughts on this. Please advise. We may send Pics to JC for 2nd estimate based on our meeting with the Progressive Adjuster. Thanks.
Another out of the box thought. The problem with mild to moderate hail damage in an Airstream is that it is not a painted surface.

I have had a lot of experience with hail damage in aluminum airplanes that are painted. The dimpling of an aluminum skin actually increases the strength of that skin. In most cases it is just a cosmetic problem not a structural problem.

In airplanes we simply strip the paint then fill the dimples and paint it again. Control surfaces generally cannot be filled because of balance problems.

I know it is not fashionable to paint an Airstream but I have seen some painted Airstreams that look great. So depending on insurance settlement and age of the trailer it may make more $ to fill and paint rather than do major surgery.
Old 05-24-2023, 04:54 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchase View Post
lll

In airplanes we simply strip the paint then fill the dimples and paint it again. Control surfaces generally cannot be filled because of balance problems.
That is not categorically correct. “We” don’t “siimply strip/fill/paint” airplanes.

In SOME instances that might be appropriate… but that is not universally done…. sometimes re-skinning is performed…and sometimes the airplane is scrapped.

Just wanted to clarify.
Old 05-24-2023, 05:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Flagstaff , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
That is not categorically correct. “We” don’t “siimply strip/fill/paint” airplanes.

In SOME instances that might be appropriate… but that is not universally done…. sometimes re-skinning is performed…and sometimes the airplane is scrapped.

Just wanted to clarify.
This thread is about a trailer, not an airplane. My purpose was to point out an entirely appropriate repair to a non flying trailer would be to fill and paint.

For many airplane owners living in hail prone areas a little dimpling on an old airplane is greeted as good news because you get a new paint job and the resale value is not impacted and even increased.
Old 05-24-2023, 05:57 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Quote:
This thread is about a trailer, not an airplane. My purpose was to point out an entirely appropriate repair to a non flying trailer would be to fill and paint.

For many airplane owners living in hail prone areas a little dimpling on an old airplane is greeted as good news because you get a new paint job and the resale value is not impacted and even increased.
This thread is about a trailer. Airstreams are not commonly painted and it doesn’t increase their value.
Old 05-24-2023, 06:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Quote:
Another out of the box thought. The problem with mild to moderate hail damage in an Airstream is that it is not a painted surface.

I have had a lot of experience with hail damage in aluminum airplanes that are painted. The dimpling of an aluminum skin actually increases the strength of that skin. In most cases it is just a cosmetic problem not a structural problem.

I know it is not fashionable to paint an Airstream but I have seen some painted Airstreams that look great. So depending on insurance settlement and age of the trailer it may make more $ to fill and paint rather than do major surgery.
Not sure what aircraft you're referencing, but in my 45 years of aircraft structural repair experience we never filled and painted. If the dents were in limits per the SRM (Structural Repair Manual) they were left alone depending how close they were. I have changed many many skins due to hail damage

Sent from my Lenovo YT3-X90F using Airstream Forums mobile app
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote