Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2009, 11:35 AM   #41
1 Rivet Member

Cedar Park , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
The problem is that the trailers are worth more than that to a salvage yard which will pull them apart for their windows and exterior panels and other hard parts that were not destroyed by the floodwaters. They are probably worth more than $1000 to a salvage yard, because they can make some money off of parting them out, while they are worth less to someone who is looking at the haz-mat job of cleaning and refurbishing them. I think you'd be better off buying a couple year old unit that hadn't been flooded than the work it will take to fix these filthy trailers up. Yuk!
Not really, the salvage yard is going to have to go through the same sanitizing process also, especially if they are going to leave the trailers sitting for long periods of time.

They have to do just as much work as we do when transporting/sanitizing/breaking the trailer down. Not to mention any worker that has the unfortunate luck of getting stuck with these trailers that gets sick is going to be a huge liability for one of these companies.

EDITnot to mention that transporting not one, two or three trailers, but 8 requires a ton of logistics and gas, so in fact they have to go through even more effort than a set of individuals would.
Corwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:02 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
The fridges and convertors are toast. All the laminate-covered particle board cabinetry will have to be pulled and tossed. A rebuilder would have to be able to make new furnishings that weigh about the same as original. Once empty, inner skins come off to remove all insulation. Just one end cap is worth more than any single user would pay.

CrawfordGene & Stefrobrts get the realistic posting award IMO. There's a good reason they totaled these trailers -- the same reason Sully Sullenberger's US Airways plane went the same salvage route.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:14 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
they would make great backdrops for movie sets. anything beyond that is ewwwwwwwww!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
they would make great backdrops for movie sets.
I can see it now; "The Airstreams that ate Chicago".
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #45
1 Rivet Member

Cedar Park , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream View Post
CrawfordGene & Stefrobrts get the realistic posting award IMO. There's a good reason they totaled these trailers -- the same reason Sully Sullenberger's US Airways plane went the same salvage route.
Your comparing a recreational trailer, meant for the use of a small number of people, not moving, multi purpose even if completely ruined and a luxury item

to

an transportation aircraft, responsible for the lives of all the passengers on board and with tolerances that if vary just a little put those passengers lives in danger.

You cant reuse a flooded plane, it simply has to be salvaged. You can reuse a flooded airstream.

While your right about the value of the endcap,but the situation that these trailers have been through means that leaving just the husk of one of these trailers out for any extended period of time to be parted out and sold would be an extremely hazardous idea for a salvage company to work with.

Especially when they can find airstreams that are involved in crashes, and tree fallings, that don't have the risk of having malaria or who knows what in them.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #46
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
...While your right about the value of the endcap,but the situation that these trailers have been through means that leaving just the husk of one of these trailers out for any extended period of time to be parted out and sold would be an extremely hazardous idea for a salvage company to work with...
NOT if purchased or sent to the boneyard....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ard-38589.html

really THAT is where they should go, and could serve the MOST owners and varied needs...

i do get it about the hazards growing IN these units, but these folks have all sorts of factured tubes laying outside in missouri weather...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Granted I have no personal experience working on a flooded trailer, I did have the pleasure our second year in our current house to have the basement flood with river water.

I would venture that a person with the right background and the right safety equipment could safely do a frame off "restoration" keeping the frame, shell etc. It might need axles from the water getting inside, most restorations need axles. All the plywood would need to be replaced, as it does on most restorations. All cabinets and soft goods need replacing, just like restorations

hard goods like sinks, sheet metal, fiberglass parts (like tubs etc) could be cleaned and reused, all wood, insulation, foams, curtains, etc could be reused. I could see if someone just wanted to build and airstream to get the interior just how they want it, isn't impressed with airstream's current (or past) quality control could build it how they want.

Companies exist for flood repair. Existing house wood framing is treated in flood situations, and could treat surfaces to be removed to limit possible exposure to harmful substances.

Many states have no problem with salvage titles, I'm sure with the right research and the right geographic location that too could be overcome.

I would also point out that as 2air pointed out about wrecking yard trailers, environmental hazards are present in all our restorations, and myself included most aren't very careful about those hazards, from mouse droppings, to mold, leaking waste tanks, asbestos tile and adhesives, lead paint etc. We won't even venture into the conflicting studies about aluminum and alzheimers (perhaps that's why some people restore a second airstream, they don't remember how much time and money they put in the first one)

I'd consider something like that for $1000 or so, but then again if I bought another one I'd need another 7 or 8k for a good divorce attorney....
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #48
1 Rivet Member

Cedar Park , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
NOT if purchased or sent to the boneyard....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ard-38589.html

really THAT is where they should go, and could serve the MOST owners and varied needs...

i do get it about the hazards growing IN these units, but these folks have all sorts of factured tubes laying outside in missouri weather...

cheers
2air'
I've already talked to Colaw's and they don't even deal with flooded trailers, they politely said uh uh and hung up.

eh, leaving a normal husk out in the weather is fine. leaving a flooded one thats been exposed to random bacteria contained in the flood water is asking for cultures of those particular bacteria to form.
Old 10-11-2009, 01:51 PM   #49
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
I've already talked to Colaw's and they don't even deal with flooded trailers, they politely said uh uh and hung up.

eh, leaving a normal husk out in the weather is fine. leaving a flooded one thats been exposed to random bacteria contained in the flood water is asking for cultures of those particular bacteria to form.
If it is really bothering you that much, buy them all and incinerate them.
Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:01 PM   #50
1 Rivet Member

Cedar Park , Texas
We'll I wouldn't have a project then to work on now would I?
Old 10-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #51

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
I think that should tell you all you need to know...

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:11 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Quote:
Bingo.........
Old 10-11-2009, 02:15 PM   #53
1 Rivet Member

Cedar Park , Texas
Quote:

Want to explain? That only seems to support why salvage company's don't want to go for these guys.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:45 PM   #54

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Want to explain? That only seems to support why salvage company's don't want to go for these guys.
It means even they don't see the value in dealing with these toxic hazards.

Hey, it's your money, and your hobby. Go for it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:48 PM   #55
_

. , .
Quote:
or ne1 with MORE fat in their noggin' than fungi, molds and bugs.

how about a sheep dip process for poluted pooopy foul smelling tubes.

dip 'em in a vat of lysol,
followed by a vat of color safe bleach (won't wanna hurt the fabrics)
next FILL the tube with YOUR favorite black tank enzyme sh!t eater...
then a lake full of lis-ter-ine...

for the trayla-tosis...

however BAD the photos may look,

there is ONE THING i've learned about being IN a third world location or disaster site or cadaver ranch...

the pictures don't have whol-ey-be-jezus-what-is-that-putrid-wiff-of-fumes-i'm-about-to-hurl-smell-a-vision...

so R U the grave robber that is BROKERING this show?

i sure hope these posts HELP with the sale...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:48 PM   #56
1 Rivet Member

Cedar Park , Texas
Look the bottom line here is that there is an opportunity for 8 trailers to get sold to AS's for great prices. Salvage companies think its too much of a hassle for em, so if its not us its for the scrap yard.

yeah, they are disgusting. yeah, it's gunna be a lotta work cleanin em out. yeah, it's not gunna be cheap. These are not meant to make a profit off of, your not going to, and the salvage companies know that.

But it will be cheaper than paying 30k+ for a newer airstream, and for those that favor the newer designs of airstreams rather than vintage, it's the only forseeable opportunity that your gunna get. Look at the pictures and figure out if you can deal with the muck and the grime and be sure you can take proper protection against it. If you ain't got the stomach for it then don't sit here and tell us that those that do are just wasting their time, money, and effort.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:57 PM   #57
1 Rivet Member

Cedar Park , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
i sure hope these posts HELP with the sale...

cheers
2air'
So do I lol, but I'd rather be honest with people than try to pretend like all is fine and dandy with these trailers. I'm not tryin to be a salesperson.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:58 PM   #58
_

. , .
wasting TIME whoz doin' that...

i'm thinking of opening a chain of rollin, mobile meth labs...

to avoid state income taxes.

THESE units would be perfect for THAT use.

who wants IN?

once the mobile factories are dressed out for use, we will run a VERY creative ad campaign...

"free sniffs 4 stiffs, come on in!"

"crystal meth and airstreams, an all american combination!"

"airstream we WILL rock you"

"up your nose, out our brain, the altered air-stream consciousness..."

"wallez' silver meth...see MORE, hear MORE, fear MORE..."

and i've got others...

cheers
2air'

Old 10-11-2009, 02:59 PM   #59
1 Rivet Member

arlington , Texas
Do you really think these are any more toxic than an older airstream that has been sitting around for years with birds and rats living in them? If so then I will wear a respirator for the week or two it will take to remove all the inside stuff. These will no harder to restore than any other projects that are from the ground up. I hope to get three of them. One for my son to fix up, one for me to fix up for a weekend camper, and one for a portable billboard/office. If it doesnt work out, so what, I only lose $1,000 dollar or so. I will be doing my part to help the economy.
landp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:05 PM   #60
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Geez, I hope the auction is soon and we'll get to know who got them and how it worked out.