Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Canadian Vintage Insurance

It turns out my agreed value policy may in fact be just a regular depreciated value policy and is as such worthless so I desperately need some decent insurance. It seems so far impossible here in Canada to insure a 1961 trailer with an agreed value even with $30,000 in receipts and a licensed professional appraisal in hand!

I've got three weeks until a nice long 3 weeks trip and the thought of being the recipient of a cheque for about $165 if my trailer suffers is driving me crazy.

If anyone has a hot lead on a decent broker I'd be eternally grateful :-)
Old 07-22-2011, 06:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
I'd check with one of the local vintage car clubs, as I'd imagine those guys and gals see this problem all the time with their restored vehicles. I'll bet they'd be able to point you in the right direction.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Thanks Cameron, I tried that. They put me in touch with the classic car insurers and appraisers but unless it has an engine or is towed by a classic car it's a no go. On the up side the appraiser I like also writes the motoring pages in our city paper and it seems an article on the restoration is a maybe which is cool. I'm kind of wondering if a US based insurer might be a possibility.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
When I lived in Calgary, auto insurance was supplied by private companies (not like BC where it's government run), is that still the case? I would have thought that the private insurance companies would be all set up for that sort of thing.

What about insuring it under a rider with your home insurance? Would something like that be possible?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:01 AM   #5
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
I've stumbled across a particularly well clued-in RV, boat, and trailer insurance agent (Ron Jarvie of Overland Insurance Co.) and I emailed him to see if he had any ideas for your situation. I don't think they insure in Canada, but he might know of an approach that will work. I'll let you know if he comes up with anything that sounds useful.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:13 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Have you tried these guys in Canada? I've talked to a few of them at one time or another but it wasn't a vintage trailer:

RV Insurance from Wayfarer Insurance Brokers Ltd Ontario Canada

RV Canada - RV Insurance

And we are with these guys who even show an Airstream on their site as an example of what they insure:
Echelon General Insurance Company
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Things are looking up! I've tried the home insurer and that dead ended but Overlander Insurance Co sounds promising (they've got the right name too) as does Echelon and Advensure.ca. Thanks a lot guys and I'll post any updates as I get them to help the next guy out. :-)
Old 07-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Feedback. Insuring an old yet reasonable value trailer in Canada proved tricky. I've chosen option 1 as there we're no other choices available.

The broker is BowValley Insurance and I gather the insurer is Intact. Their requirements are an appraisal and an inspection/ certification. As no-one seems to know what the inspection/ certification entails I'm going with an rv dealer checking, brakes, propane, water and electrical. So I'm pleased to have insurance ($373 annual for a $30k value) even if the appraisal is $500 and the inspection will be about 2 or 3 hours of labor.

The $30k is just for parts and materials so if the appraisal is higher or lower I can adjust it as required.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:15 PM   #9
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
What about insuring it under a rider with your home insurance? Would something like that be possible?
That's exactly what I do.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
I imagine it's possible but not with the home insurer we have; I'd say it'd be time to change insurer but I think I'd still need the appraisal otherwise come claim time there'd be more weaseling than I'd care to deal with. If this unit gets in an accident it's going to take quite a bit to put it right.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:11 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1976 23' Safari
Chauvin , Alberta
My trailer is insured under my home insurance, ever time I add value to the trailer just like the home I let them know and they increase it, I deal with a broker and insurer is Wawanesa, the most I have ever had to do is provide them with some pictures. Change your broker, this shouldn't be an issue
lpatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:17 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Fort Collins , Colorado
Hope you were able to insure before you went! I am looking at the same issues. I am in Colorado, and have a 1964 Safari 22ft. The PO's didnt have insurance on it. My current insurance agent isnt sure how to insure it. It is Shelter insurance group. I have all my auto's and my home with them. I would like to insure my AS soon!! I have yet to take her out on a trip. I just got her a month ago and have been getting all things ready. Until I ran into this brick wall about insurance.

Any suggestions??? Who did you end up with for insurance?

Thanks,
Tracey
Hopetoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
The insurer is called Intact I believe. I'm getting an "inspection or some sort" done tomorrow by the RV guys setting up my brakes and an appraiser (of custom and classic cars (licensed)) is coming over in the evening. With those two activities Intact will insure the trailer for the appraised value.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:20 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Fort Collins , Colorado
That is great! Good for you! I hope it all works out ok for you!

Thanks you so much for the info! I will check into it!
Hopetoday is offline   Reply With Quote