Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2020, 07:30 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Have my policy with Progressive through USAA. It's about $250 for total loss, I purchased my trailer new. Below is a cut/paste of the three insurance options offered and their descriptions from the policy.

Physical Damage Option
All three options provide the same coverage to repair RVs that are not a total loss. However, if the RV is a total loss, they provide different settlements.

All losses, whether partial or total and regardless of which loss settlement option applies, are subject to the applicable deductible.

Total Loss Replacement/Purchase Price
Total Loss Replacement/Purchase Price physical damage coverage option is available on previously untitled RVs that are up to one model year old and do not have pre-existing damage.

In the event of a total loss of a newer RV (no more than the fourth preceding model year old), we'll pay to replace the current RV with a new untitled RV that is, to the extent possible, the same make, class, size, and type, and which contains comparable equipment. (Other limits apply for vehicles that are not replaced after a total loss.) For RVs over five model years old that experience a total loss, we'll pay the Purchase Price as reflected on the declarations page.

Disappearing Deductibles are included with Total Loss Replacement when the Purchase Price on the declarations page is greater than or equal to $25,000 and Comprehensive and Collision are selected.

Agreed Value
Agreed Value means we'll pay the agreed value amount reflected on your declarations page in the event of a total loss regardless of the actual cash value. For RVs purchased in the last two years, the sales receipt can serve as verification of the rating base. If a sales receipt is unavailable or if the RV was purchased more than two years ago, the rating base value may be determined by referring to either the N.A.D.A. Recreational Vehicle Appraisal Guide or Nadaguides.com.

Disappearing Deductibles are included with Agreed Value when the Agreed Value shown on the declarations page is equal to or greater than $25,000 and Comprehensive and Collision coverages are selected.

Actual Cash Value
The least expensive loss settlement option. All total losses will be settled by paying the actual cash value of the RV at the time of the loss, less the deductible. (Disappearing Deductibles is an available option.)
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 06:58 PM   #62

2016 25' International
Frankston , victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Those of you adding the trailer to your auto insurance policy for next to nothing need to check your policy carefully. On mine, the trailer is covered for comprehensive, liability and collision ONLY while it is being towed by my covered TV. When it is parked, there is NO coverage at all. My 1986 Sovereign has a book value of $6500 so I can live with it. If I had a new trailer, I’d have LOTS more coverage.

Thats pretty rough lucky you looked into it a bit closer
Travelman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:48 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Homeowners?

Has anyone checked to see whether your homeowners policy will cover the trailer while it is parked on your own property which is covered by your HO policy and as long as it is not covered under any other policy?

Or covered as personal property away from covered location if it is stored away from your home and direct HO policy coverage?

In some states, the trailer is considered to be, and taxed as, a second home. So maybe while it is parked, stored, it would be covered under your HO as a second location (home)?

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 04:31 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2019 19' Flying Cloud
Canyon Country , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pubtym View Post
I did the same bundle. Cancelled Progressive and USAA. Great rates and great service at GEICO
I love Geico... I paid $500 deductible for a $12,000.00 damages on my 16' Bambi. my rates did not raise after this. I added my 2019 FC 19CBB in a bundle with Geico.

The real issue is: do other insurance co do the same as Geico did with me? How good is the coverage over damages? How much the ins will cover?

2019 Flying Cloud 19CBB
Halford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 05:00 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
All I can say is be careful. Many people do not realize what little coverage they have. I took a month of heavy digging on insurance policies focusing more on the policy than price and found some real surprises that some have mentioned on here. I was even lied to by one company, signed up and cancelled as soon as I got the physical document which said differently. In my opinion, an owner is better getting a replacement policy if the trailer qualifies (3-5 yrs old) or an agreed value policy (older) as it protects an Airstream, which tends to hold its value more than NADA indicates. I cannot over emphasize how most policies use NADA value to determine your coverage. Also, homeowners policies may cover your trailer at your home but if you travel, then what? Some policies allow you to suspend collision while stored but what if someone hits it parking their unit if stored at a facility? It is not covered. Comprehensive does not cover impact damage.

I know that several have shared about different companies that they have a policy with that pays whatever and is excellent. Companies that when I called, did not offer any type of policy other than a similar auto-like policy that uses NADA value or adds it to the tow vehicle policy with the same devaluing like the tow vehicle- I never found one that did not devalue the Airstream via NADA if damaged.
Old 01-09-2021, 07:19 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
All I can say is be careful. Many people do not realize what little coverage they have. I took a month of heavy digging on insurance policies focusing more on the policy than price and found some real surprises that some have mentioned on here. I was even lied to by one company, signed up and cancelled as soon as I got the physical document which said differently. In my opinion, an owner is better getting a replacement policy if the trailer qualifies (3-5 yrs old) or an agreed value policy (older) as it protects an Airstream, which tends to hold its value more than NADA indicates. I cannot over emphasize how most policies use NADA value to determine your coverage. Also, homeowners policies may cover your trailer at your home but if you travel, then what? Some policies allow you to suspend collision while stored but what if someone hits it parking their unit if stored at a facility? It is not covered. Comprehensive does not cover impact damage.

I know that several have shared about different companies that they have a policy with that pays whatever and is excellent. Companies that when I called, did not offer any type of policy other than a similar auto-like policy that uses NADA value or adds it to the tow vehicle policy with the same devaluing like the tow vehicle- I never found one that did not devalue the Airstream via NADA if damaged.
This is the smart money move. My cars and house are "bundled"...but NOT the AS. I have an agreed value policy through FCIS, who specializes in RV policies. It cost more than my homeowners policy, but if the AS was totaled, I would walk away with enough to replace with a similar unit, AND purchase all the upgrades I have done to it. I'd have to re-install everything, but that's fun, right?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 01:31 PM   #67
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Bambi
Ft Thomas , Kentucky
I'm picking up my 2021 16' Bambi in a few days. This is our first TT and have been contacting insurance companies over the last three days. I am finding them slow to either returning my calls and/or slow to answer questions.

Reading the 4 pages of discussion on finding the best coverage has really brought me up to speed on my decision making process. Just want to thank all who have contributed!

Tom
Capt Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:53 AM   #68
Trilla the Traveling Tube

2018 22' Sport
Dayton , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalashnikov View Post
Shopped for new insurance on our 2019 FC 28RBT, looked like this:
- Full replacement coverage
- $500 deductible (mandated by lienholder)

USAA (Progressive)
- $1350/year with $1k deductible [Can't get this though]

- $1550/year with $500 deductible

Goodsam (National General)
- $3k/year

Allstate
- $2k/year

We're going with USAA/Progressive, hopefully that rate will fall even further once we have the trailer paid off. They also provide "disappearing deductible" if you are a safe driver, every year without claims gives some kind of discount.
We have USAA/Progressive full coverage. $578 annually with a $500 deductible. I've been with USAA since I was 15 (58 now). My annual premium just went down over $150 when we moved from hail-alley WY to Northern WY!
kpfate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 07:46 AM   #69
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Silver Springs , Florida
2019, 27FB Tommy Bahama, $643.80 per year. Geico. full coverage $500 ded.
gordyfj49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 09:44 AM   #70

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I've been with Progressive since I bought my Classic Slide Out in November 2003. The inherent reasons for going with them was a disappearing deductible when I am claims free after 4 years. Secondly was the like kind replacement in the first 5 years of ownership if the trailer was totaled. Finally the purchase price reimbursement if the trailer is totaled after 5 years of ownership and continuous coverage. For my trailer back in fall 2003 that was 70K.

Premiums have risen and it started out at $65 monthly. Current premium is $91.92. Quite honestly my greatest fear had been hail and I figured over the course of time hail damage would probably be my most logical claim. Little did I guess that after two years of outdoor storage I would stumble into an offer from a friend who had a giant garage to allow me to store in that garage.

One of the big things I forgot to do was when I started storing my trailer in her garage was to change the storage location of my trailer with Progressive. It wasn't till this year while talking with a national agent to review things, that by changing my storage location with them, dropped the monthly payment down by $15 due to the rural storage address.

The other factor I consider is with that 70K absolute value of the trailer, the chance of a repair for damage in the future is a lot more probable since Progressive has a lot more skin in the game. A slide out is a unique trailer, and to me it's a one in a lifetime purchase. I'd like to keep as long as I'm able to physically use it safely.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote