Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2016, 01:34 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
BTW- Good Sam recommended Progressive to us as a company that will offer insurance based upon agreed value with an appraisal.
Progressive WILL offer agreed value in come situations but it does not include total loss replacement as per their representative and is capped at 125% of whatever current market value is at the time of total loss. Again, the details are tough to nail down and can be different state to state, etc.
Old 05-09-2016, 03:36 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Progressive WILL offer agreed value in come situations but it does not include total loss replacement as per their representative and is capped at 125% of whatever current market value is at the time of total loss. Again, the details are tough to nail down and can be different state to state, etc.
We have an agreed value policy with Progressive and the agreed value is the purchase price, and that number will not reduce over time (which is a good thing, because we keep upfitting).

I believe that is only an option if one insures with Progressive within 24 months of initial purchase (new or used - ours was used). And this is a Texas policy - it may vary from state to state.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 02:04 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
vintage airstream insurance ?

My current insurer wouldn't up my initial purchase price coverage without an official valuation, I was going to use James Polk but he's unavailable until Sept and need this before then ! Any suggestions for an alternative insurer or someone who provides valuations much appreciated
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 03:07 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Progressive.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:22 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Any body have Foremost Ins. for vintage AS & comments, plus or minus. Foremost has been recommended by agent friend for agreed value for my vintage AS and prem. is reasonable. My present Ins. will only do appraised value thru local body shop owner that does appraisals for cars and trucks for my area. Ins. co. stated they have never written agreed value For AS and will not use any other appraiser for value. I have been with this INS CO and agent for many yrs. and they will not budge from this policy of appraisals. Time to change Ins. co. as coverage only ACV NADA book.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:50 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
@OTRA15, Yes that is the thread

Shop around. Have questions ready like, "three years from now if i have a bad wreck and the Airstream is totaled, how is total loss determined and how would value be determined? Are interior items covered in loss or just exterior repair, how?" Things like that. It is amazing what questions uncover. If you hear NADA- run away.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:53 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cincinnati , Ohio
Also, very important to read the policy, not just rely of what the agent/rep tells you. An unscrupulous or uneducated agent will tell you anything to make the sale. A good agent will take the time to go over the policy details to make sure you understand any limitations or exclusions. I've been an agent for over 30 years and have seen my share of both.

Most policies are written on an ACV (Actual Cash Value) basis, which is the cost of repairs or replacement LESS depreciation.

Beware of Stated Amount policies, they are really nothing more than ACV policies with a maximum limit (the Stated Amount Limit) that will be paid in the event of a loss.

The best is an Agreed Value or Guaranteed Value policy. You and the insurance company agree on a value before the policy is issued. You will probably have to submit an appraisal and possibly photos of the interior and exterior. In the event of a total loss, you will receive the Agreed Value set when the policy was written. It's also important to check the policy to see how a partial loss will be settled. The policy should specify if a partial loss will be settled on a replacement cost or actual cost basis.

Policies may also restrict coverage on awnings and items that are not factory installed.

Bottom line, it very important to do this research up front, before a claim. Insurance companies often get a bad rap but in many cases, the consumer hasn't done their due diligence to determine how a policy will pay a claim before the claim happens.

Happy insurance shopping!
Herm and Debby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:35 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Any body have Foremost Ins. for vintage AS & comments, plus or minus. Foremost has been recommended by agent friend for agreed value for my vintage AS and prem. is reasonable. My present Ins. will only do appraised value thru local body shop owner that does appraisals for cars and trucks for my area. Ins. co. stated they have never written agreed value For AS and will not use any other appraiser for value. I have been with this INS CO and agent for many yrs. and they will not budge from this policy of appraisals. Time to change Ins. co. as coverage only ACV NADA book.

I had agreed value insurance on my Bambi II thru Foremost. No appraisals or photos were required to write the policy. Price was reasonable and their phone CS was very good.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:37 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natomb View Post
Our 25' AS Safari SS was sideswiped on the highway last year. $15,000 in damage. Progressive let us choose the repair company (Timeless Travel Trailers) and didn't raise our rates. (BTW- Good Sam recommended Progressive to us as a company that will offer insurance based upon agreed value with an appraisal.)
This Texan went with Progressive in association with USAA.
dhroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:14 AM   #30
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Try Charles at www.americas-mailbox.com They represent multiple companies and can offer several choices. Service is solid and the quotes beat many of the more common names that advertise or you may hear about. I'd say it's the cost of a phone call but we don't pay long distance any more
From Americas Mailbox webpage.
Unlike other states, South Dakota vehicle insurance follows the license plates. It cannot be obtained until the vehicles are registered in South Dakota. To register vehicles, NO inspections nor any proof of insurance is required and you do NOT need to obtain a South Dakota drivers license first.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:18 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Am I interpreting a Total Replacement Cost Policy Correctly?

I’ve read on the above responses that you want a policy that a) has replacement cost b) doesn’t mention using NADA values for claim purpose c) has the option to cover contents. I rec’d quotes from our Agent from Travelers, Foremost and Progressive. Travelers did not have replacement cost while the other two did. Progressive had higher personal liability coverage and a lower premium so that is one I am leaning toward. I had the agent send me a copy of the policy so I could review.

The way I read it;

1. There is a section for Total Loss Replacement and a section for Agreed Value Coverage. The Total Loss Replacement is the coverage I will choose and this supersedes the Agreed Value section since I will not choose Agreed Value coverage.
2. They will apply the total loss replacement provisions up to 5 years after the model year of my 2018 Airstream Globetrotter, (“covered vehicle”). i.e. if a total loss occurs in 2022 my covered vehicle would be the 4th preceding model year.
3. If I don’t want to replace the covered vehicle they will pay me the actual cash value of my covered vehicle less the deductible. The actual cash value is defined as the most economical physical damage option. This listed amount (called the “rating base”) should represent the actual cash value of the vehicle today, including all permanently attached equipment.
4. If I replace the covered vehicle they will a) replace with any model year not older than the covered vehicle b) the replacement will not have been titled by any person or entity other that a dealer or manufacturer c) will have the same equipment as my covered vehicle had to the extent possible d) if the cost of the replacement vehicle is more than the actual cash value they will pay me the actual cash value plus the difference in the cost of the replacement vehicle and the actual cash value, reduced by the applicable deductible e) All of the above applies if the covered vehicle is the 4th preceding model year or less.
5. If the covered vehicle at the time of loss is the 5th preceding model year or older, their liability to me is the purchase price of my covered vehicle less the deductible.

When I initially read this, I was worried about what Actual Cash Value represented. The way I understand this doesn’t really matter. As long as I replace my covered vehicle they will pay the difference in the replacement vehicle cost and actual cash value during the next 4 model years. After that, their liability will be the purchase price I paid for my 2018 Globetrotter.

This appears to me to be the way I would expect a Total Replacement Cost policy to work. Is that the way you guys understand a Total Replacement Cost Policy should work?
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:56 AM   #32
ObviouslyKnot

Currently Looking...
KAILUA , HI
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhroberts View Post
This Texan went with Progressive in association with USAA.
That's where I'm still at, can't find a better deal for my MT registered and garaged trailer.
Old 05-05-2020, 08:36 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' International
Austin , TX
outrageous quote from Good Sam

I got a quote from Good Same for a flying cloud 25FB @ $368 a month. I live in Texas and understand insurance is expensive but that doesn't seem right. Anyone have quotes or what they pay in Texas?
atxsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:42 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
2019 30' Flying Cloud
Katy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsunshine View Post
I got a quote from Good Same for a flying cloud 25FB @ $368 a month. I live in Texas and understand insurance is expensive but that doesn't seem right. Anyone have quotes or what they pay in Texas?
If you double the amount of your quote, that's getting close to my annual premium with State Farm for my 2019 FC30 Bunkhouse. Keep shopping.
jaybauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:47 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Prosperity , South Carolina
Airstream insurance company recomendations

1 year ago our insurance agent got us onto Foremost for our new Flying Cloud; I trusted they checked for best rates. Foremost also does our boats. When we wrecked the trailer, Foremost was easy/great to work with, sent us a check that pretty much covered purchase price of the trailer. I was happy with them.
Gintory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:00 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I have Geico for my auto, and rolled the Airstream into one policy.
For the first five years I have replacement.
Then I guess we revisit the policy and decide how to proceed.
I've been happy with Geico, they may not be the cheapest, but I can always talk to a human in the U.S. who seems knowledgeable. And they've never cancelled me because I didn't have accidents and the tables said I was due. (like Snoopy did)
BTW, I just received a check from them for 15% of my policy premium. With no one traveling, they rebated some. I suspect you all had the same?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:24 AM   #37

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I have a policy for the Airstream with Progressive. It has a disappearing deductible benefit after 4 years of no claims. Also on new trailers I had 5 years of replacement coverage. Translated that meant if the trailer was totaled in its first 5 years of life, I would get a comparable replacement, regardless of cost. Finally if I keep my policy coverage after year 5, I am guaranteed that Progressive will give me back my original purchase price of my trailer if its totaled. I see that more of a fact that if I ever do get serious damage, Progressive will spend the $$ to repair my trailer rather than pay the $70K my trailer cost when it was new.

I have no idea if that policy is still being offered but I have a comfort level with that level of protection.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 06:18 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Mooresville , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
I have a policy for the Airstream with Progressive. It has a disappearing deductible benefit after 4 years of no claims. Also on new trailers I had 5 years of replacement coverage. Translated that meant if the trailer was totaled in its first 5 years of life, I would get a comparable replacement, regardless of cost. Finally if I keep my policy coverage after year 5, I am guaranteed that Progressive will give me back my original purchase price of my trailer if its totaled. I see that more of a fact that if I ever do get serious damage, Progressive will spend the $$ to repair my trailer rather than pay the $70K my trailer cost when it was new.

I have no idea if that policy is still being offered but I have a comfort level with that level of protection.

Jack
I have the same policy on a 2018 Globetrotter. $768/yr.
GOUSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 06:47 AM   #39
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Atxsunshine,
My 2012 Tundra and my 2020 Globetrotter 25 FB are with Geico. $127/mo for both. I’d keep checking. (65 yr old w clean driving record).

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 04:42 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:

Jack
________
Now that is a policy! I believe there are good choices to be made. We just have to be careful shoppers and ask the right questions.

@GOUSC, I believe you are hitting the points to look for. Policies can be created or modified and, the age of the trailer and policy premium are all factors that make things different for each case. As far as costs go, my agreed value policy premium was something like $30 more a year from the NADA policy I switched from. When the trailer gets older it is a big difference in coverage. NADA value on my trailer shows $18,900 currently. That is low. Online they are listing for $25-30. At one point, a few years ago, my model was NADA priced at $14K. Anyone who knows Airstreams knows about where they fall in pricing. When you shop, it doesn't take long to figure out they are expensive and hold their value pretty well.