Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2020, 12:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
AARP The Hartford insurance

We just received a mailing from AARP, to switch to their coverage with The Hartford. There are no recent threads on this coverage:

https://www.google.com/search?q=AARP...=airforums.com

. . . so I am wondering who has this coverage, and have you been satisfied, especially regarding the cost, and your experience with claims for accidents. We got rear-ended a couple of times in the past few years, and our insurance company was spotty with the claims process.

I guess Good Sam also offers The Hartford for trailer coverage?

Thanks,
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:09 PM   #2
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Back when I was 50 and could first get the AARP Hartford coverage, I called them and learned they only wanted drivers who hardly every drove anywhere but the grocery store and never left the county. I think they had a limit of 12,000 miles. When you live outside of a major city or still work or travel a lot, that was absurd. That was almost 30 years ago, so it may have changed.

I think insurance companies continue to get worse. We have Travelers right now and they sent us about $40 because of lack of driving. With an SUV, pickup truck and trailer, that is a few percent of what we pay for auto insurance. I thought of sending the first check (less than $20) to the CEO and telling him where to stick it, but cashed it instead. We live in a rural area 10 miles from a small city and our fire department is rather primitive, so we pay very high rates for fire insurance. A lot of insurers refuse to cover this area. We are stuck.

Hail damage on a roof is often a problem, especially on Colorado's Front Range and Florida's east coast. A roof can be badly damaged and it doesn't really show, a company can claim there is insufficient damage and get away with it. Contact the insurance commissioner if you have a problem. Insurance companies really don't want you to do that because of the paperwork involved and the mere threat of that can move them to rethink their claim denial.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Gene, guess I will call AARP/Hartford this week.
Old 07-12-2020, 06:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Back when I was 50 and could first get the AARP Hartford coverage, I called them and learned they only wanted drivers who hardly every drove anywhere but the grocery store and never left the county. I think they had a limit of 12,000 miles. When you live outside of a major city or still work or travel a lot, that was absurd. That was almost 30 years ago, so it may have changed.

I think insurance companies continue to get worse. We have Travelers right now and they sent us about $40 because of lack of driving. With an SUV, pickup truck and trailer, that is a few percent of what we pay for auto insurance. I thought of sending the first check (less than $20) to the CEO and telling him where to stick it, but cashed it instead. We live in a rural area 10 miles from a small city and our fire department is rather primitive, so we pay very high rates for fire insurance. A lot of insurers refuse to cover this area. We are stuck.

Hail damage on a roof is often a problem, especially on Colorado's Front Range and Florida's east coast. A roof can be badly damaged and it doesn't really show, a company can claim there is insufficient damage and get away with it. Contact the insurance commissioner if you have a problem. Insurance companies really don't want you to do that because of the paperwork involved and the mere threat of that can move them to rethink their claim denial.
That is exactly what AllState ins did several mos. ago, many homes w/severe hail damage. I would never ins w/AllState. Long time member AARP no mailings for Hartford so no opinion of Hartford.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks,