Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Insurance & Claims
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2017, 09:29 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
22’ AS Sport - Insurance Cost in WA State

I’m doing my due diligence on the various aspects of potential AS ownership and I’m hoping to get an idea of what annual insurance premiums are going for in Washington State. I heard from someone that anything over $300/year is too high, but I have nothing to base that info on. Thanks for any info you can provide!
ijoe13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:50 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijoe13 View Post
I’m doing my due diligence on the various aspects of potential AS ownership and I’m hoping to get an idea of what annual insurance premiums are going for in Washington State. I heard from someone that anything over $300/year is too high, but I have nothing to base that info on. Thanks for any info you can provide!
That's going to be difficult to answer without knowing the year of the AS. Most insurance companies base their pricing at least somewhat on the perceived value. We just insured a brand new 19' FC in Washington and it cost $345.

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
I have 2016 23 FB Serenity insured in Oregon for $224.00 year. This is through State Farm and I have two cars, home, rental propery & blanket policy through them.

Seattle being one of the larger cities may be a premium due to traffic etc.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 10:02 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Good call on the year of the model needed: let’s just say 2018 22’ Sport.

I currently have State Farm for all of our various home and vehicle policies, so will ask them for a quote to see what they tell me.

I’m sure they’ll ask how often the AS will be used and where it will be stored, which will affect the yearly coverage cost.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:45 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Price will also depend on whether you want an agreed-value policy for the full purchase price in the event it's totaled, or a policy that pays off on book value only. Also if you get a rider for contents, and how much coverage that rider provides.

Also, don't forget to ask about every discount they offer, to see if you qualify (or can qualify) for any of them. When I first insured my Airstream, the company I chose offered a Good Sam discount of over $400 per year (on an Airstream Interstate, which as a motor vehicle costs a lot more to insure than a trailer). Given the comparatively low price of Good Sam membership, I joined the club and took the discount. You can also ask about AARP membership discounts, AAA membership discounts, defensive driving discounts, etc. You might even get a discount if you get the trailer's VIN number etched into selected panes of glass in the trailer— some companies offer that particular discount for motor vehicles because of the theft deterrent factor, so they might do it for trailers, too. Can't hurt to ask!
Old 07-28-2017, 10:51 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Price will also depend on whether you want an agreed-value policy for the full purchase price in the event it's totaled, or a policy that pays off on book value only. Also if you get a rider for contents, and how much coverage that rider provides.

Also, don't forget to ask about every discount they offer, to see if you qualify (or can qualify) for any of them. When I first insured my Airstream, the company I chose offered a Good Sam discount of over $400 per year (on an Airstream Interstate, which as a motor vehicle costs a lot more to insure than a trailer). Given the comparatively low price of Good Sam membership, I joined the club and took the discount. You can also ask about AARP membership discounts, AAA membership discounts, defensive driving discounts, etc. You might even get a discount if you get the trailer's VIN number etched into selected panes of glass in the trailer— some companies offer that particular discount for motor vehicles because of the theft deterrent factor, so they might do it for trailers, too. Can't hurt to ask!

Great advice on the various potential discounts. I’ll likely end up with quotes from a couple of insurance companies. It’s probably time I did some overall comparisons anyway as it’s long overdue.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:54 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Newport , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijoe13 View Post
Good call on the year of the model needed: let’s just say 2018 22’ Sport.

I currently have State Farm for all of our various home and vehicle policies, so will ask them for a quote to see what they tell me.

I’m sure they’ll ask how often the AS will be used and where it will be stored, which will affect the yearly coverage cost.
We have had State Farm for all our boats, cars, houses etc. for many years. The only thing the agent asked me was to confirm that it was a new 19' Flying Cloud. Said the premium on a new trailer was based on MSRP.

2018 Flying Cloud 19
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Diesel
KelloggKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:28 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelloggKid View Post
We have had State Farm for all our boats, cars, houses etc. for many years. The only thing the agent asked me was to confirm that it was a new 19' Flying Cloud. Said the premium on a new trailer was based on MSRP.

So it’s based on MSRP, not purchase price. Good to know.
Old 07-29-2017, 04:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
$369/yr on 2016 AS FC 27 FB through State Farm based on MSRP
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:29 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
WA AS Insurance

I have a 2009 19' CCD International and live in Woodinville. I pay State Farm $263/year for coverage with a $200 deductible. They came through on a "ding" I had repaired at the dealer in Covington. Very satisfied.

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:49 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Sounds reasonable. $200 deductible is pretty low as well.