Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2019, 02:23 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinCal View Post
The wife would likely approve the trade made in diamonds, me not so much.
Then there's the cubic zirconia risk.

Gold dust does sound interesting though.

I believe you are right about the USAA calling him to warn that I am a scammer, didn't happen. Title in my name and clear it was just a matter of the wire and a transfer of title at a bank location as many mentioned. This should not have been the first time they did that.
Yep!
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:38 PM   #62
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsydad View Post
Gene- you see what happens when you get rid of your AS and get a Nash? You start longing for another AS! Not to late to sell that SOB and get another AS!
I didn't know I was longing for another Airstream. I thought the larger space, real sofa, far better insulation, ducted A/C, power awning, thermopane windows, far fewer warranty issues, and newer appliances of the Nash have somehow seduced both of us. We had a lot of adventures in our Airstream and I still feel sad when I remember seeing it disappear down the road, but we are fine with our "SOB" or Spectacular Omnitrailer Brand (I don't know what that means either). I don't know if I want to tow the Nash to Alaska or anywhere far like we used to, but we aren't doing that now. It took me a while to get used to towing the Nash—Airstreams do tow better. The coolness factor was hard to let go—no one comes up to you when you have a Nash and asks about it.

A really nice thing about an Airstream is after all those miles and ten years, we still got a lot for it and could buy a new Nash and have more left over. It was also nice to see those big numbers on the sale show up online in a bank account when the wire went through. There was one possible glitch in the sale—I sent the buyer the VIN with a photo of it and he looked it up on some site that is supposed, but didn't, list all VIN's to make sure it is valid. He couldn't find it online and that almost tanked the sale. I sent him more photos—the VIN is in several places—plus the mfr's paper tag on the inside of a wardrobe door and he accepted it. After all, how could I fake all of it? Of course, it could be another trailer I had photos of. I had a backup full price buyer, so I wasn't worried.

I wrote up a bill of sale and a contract to purchase to cover all of us. Good to have both because a contact is enforceable if you get cheated and a bill of sale is necessary in many states to get plates. Temporary plates to cross state lines can be a real pain as some states give you very little time to go anywhere. Towing without a plate seems to be ok some places with a sign "in tow" in the back window, but I'd check that carefully. It was not easy to find out what Colorado required if I had an out of state buyer, but in the end the buyer had a commercial towing service take it away and I didn't have to worry about it. Do not leave your plate on any vehicle you sell—it can cause you lots of trouble if there is an accident or other things that attract the attention of cops. I sold the trailer twice—after leaving a deposit and signing a contract, the first buyer got cold feet two days later and breached the contract. Colorado law allows a seller to keep the deposit because of lost opportunity to sell. The first buyer, who was going to use it in a business, was so naive they didn't realize they couldn't afford it until after they agreed to buy it. We asked them to carefully consider what they were doing and that they were absolutely sure it made sense—we went out of our way to make sure they were not experiencing aluminitis—and they still screwed themselves. In a week I had two more buyers driving here and the first one got the trailer. It was too be used by a carpenter who was going to live in it for a while in Alabama and its travels were over for a while. I listed it on the Forum website, first for free, and then later for $100 to get people interested again. It worked.

There are lots of people who want to buy them. One was a sheik (?!?) in the UAE who might have actually been real and had too much money. I pointed out to him the cost of shipping would be quite high because I wanted to get rid of him gently and not go through the brain damage of currency exchange and international contract law. I got more obvious scam artists too. There were some weird questions from others, but if it is fairly new (10 years is new for an Airstream) and in great shape plus you have the right price, it will go fast. I got what I asked without any grief, so I priced it right. The whole process from first listing to seeing it go away took about three weeks. Writing that contract is best done by a professional. I hadn't written one in so long, I had to remember all the usual boilerplate, but it came back to me. Maybe you can find contract samples through Mr. Google, but be careful. In some states the title serves as a bill of sale, so you can either use that or have a separate one and Mr. Google also will find those for you.

Good luck to all sellers and buyers. You'll get more selling it yourself and save a lot buying from a private party. Our second buyer sent a friend who happened to be in Grand Jct. to look it over, so that worked for us all. The "inspector" knew nothing about RV's, but used FaceTime to show the buyers what it looked like and we made an oral deal then and the paperwork was signed later. We were all careful and understood the necessities of selling an item that costs more than most cars, so it worked out. The first buyer would have had to be walked through it all, so you get all types including scammers. I understand this can be intimidating if you are not used to making these deals yourself, but even if you need somethings from a lawyer, paying for making sure it goes well may be a small amount compared to the money being exchanged.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:06 PM   #63
2 Rivet Member

Breckenridge , Colorado
I just made a purchase using a wire transfer. The seller had a loan on the trailer. I had the bank wire the money to his loan account. The bank would not release the title until the funds settled in his account. The process took about 3 hours. The bank gave him excess funds in cash. I got the title. Cost me $30 transfer fee, and three hours of killing time but everyone walked away happy.
snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:16 AM   #64
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Grants Pass , Oregon
Don't do it until bank says it has cleared! Checks nowadays are easily forged. Also, even wired funds are no longer safe due to hackers. I have been with USAA for over 45 yrs but dealer would not accept check from them until after it cleared at the bank. If buyer can't wait 3-4 days for check to clea I would not do it. Hope this helps...what a world we live in now, eh?
Augianderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 09:56 AM   #65
1 Rivet Member

2018 26' Flying Cloud
Shell , Wyoming
USAA Experience

USAA can complete a wire transfer in an hour or so. Sometimes faster and sometimes slower. It's normal to ask for cash and courteous to provide the option of wire transfer. Client meets you in the morning, confirms he is taking the camper, calls USAA, goes to lunch and comes back ready to tow. I would not let the thing go otherwise --- I've got nearly 40 years experience as USAA client and buying / selling vehicles for personal use. They are happy to help with wire transfers and good at it, and will provide a cashier's check also, but IMO is just too clunky for this type of process. When I do it right, it works, on the few occasions I have taken risks, it has sometimes taken a few days to get it straightened out. Be stress free!
Hope all goes well.
CLOUD9WYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:05 AM   #66

Indianapolis , Indiana
Exactly!!!!!
dolmsteadjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:06 AM   #67
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Green Valley Lake , California
fed regs post 9/11? Sounds like a younger person! the 10k reporting threshold is a relic of the Reagan admin mid eighties, ostensibly to crack down on "drug lords" and counterfeiters.
yeah. right. (same with the "rainbow" currency).
My experience, banks wont distribute that much cash on demand
(my mattress is still the most liquid)

Cash was king back in the day but now the bankwire transfer is best.
good luck!
SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:11 AM   #68
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
My bank does not keep much cash on hand, you need to order the money before noon on Monday to get it later in the week. 10K is the max that they will dispense unless you order more.

Not sure if you can FedEx the money to your home. Last year we ordered $1,000 in Canadian and it was delivered and left at our doorstep.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:21 AM   #69

1992 34' Limited
1992 34' Limited
1999 35' Cutter Diesel Bus w/slide
St, Petersburg , Florida
This sounds like a classic scam. When money order is found to be fraudulent, the funds will be withdrawn from your account. Sometimes it takes weeks. Don’t do it
dianeorjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:31 AM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
As others noted the cashiers check can be forged and is subject to a usual 3 period for funds to clear from one bank to another. This opens the window to many types of fraud by the buyer.

Wire transfers to your personal bank also present an element of risk. Once you disclose your account and routing number to the buyer it can be coupled with your identity your account may be exposed to theft by ACH debit. This is a common form of theft when an employee of a real estate or title sells the account and personal identification to a third party.

The safest way to use a wire transfer is to open another account at your bank to be used only for the sale of the trailer and closing once your funds are withdrawn or moved to another one of your accounts. Both the sender and the receiver will have to pay a $50 - 15 wire fee.

Most of the leading banks offer a direct online transfer of funds like Chase Quick Pay with Zelle that do not incur fees or the disclosure of your account numbers or personal identification to the buyer. They simply need your email address or phone number to initiate the transfer from their bank. This service is offered by Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Compass Bank and others use a similar system.

The main thing is to be sure that your funds are in your account before allowing the buyer to leave with the trailer.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-27-2019, 10:31 AM   #71
1 Rivet Member

1998 31' Excella 1000
Mesa , Arizona
I purchased a older 1998 Airstream Classic Excella from someone on airstreamclassifieds.com. We disccussed our level of comfort with the transaction on both sides. He went with me to my bank where we issued the Cashiers check. He talked to them and watched me make the transaction. I think we were both ok 8n the end.
REET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 10:48 AM   #72
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Springfield , Illinois
I recently faced this with a buyer that purchased a boat of mine. He was driving a long way to see/purchase the boat. He was getting a loan from a bank in his home town. I called and spoke with his lender (after I googled the bank and lenders name to make sure I was’t speaking with his wife). She said that the bank doesn’t normally send cash with the customer as they would have no recourse if the customer pocketed the cash and didn’t end up buying the boat. I explained my apprehension over the Cashier’s Check and she completely understood. We both felt better about the transaction after our conversation. She ended up sending the cash. After speaking with the lender, I would have taken the Cashier’s Check if she insisted that they would not send cash. Speak to the lender (if there is one involved) and you’ll feel a lot better about the transaction.
cavitycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:25 AM   #73
2 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
sault sainte marie , Michigan
I have on several occasions opened an account in a bank specifically for the purpose of either receiving cash (not a check) for a sale I made to a buyer from another state or paying cash (not a check) for a trailer in another state without having to carry cash to do so. Given that banks today want to fee you to death if you don't jump through their hoops this has worked well for me and I closed those accounts after getting or paying my money. No risk involved.
bartzstream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:52 AM   #74
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
College Station , Texas
Hello Gene,
Congrats on your sale. Curious why you moved from an AS to another manufacturer. I'm trying to move to an AS from another manufacturer. I have a small toy hauler (18') that we like but not an AS.
jazzmanrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 12:00 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB Classic
Scottsdale , Arizona
Cashier Checks can have a stop payment put on them Cash or wire transfer.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:06 PM   #76
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmanrandy View Post
Hello Gene,
Congrats on your sale. Curious why you moved from an AS to another manufacturer. I'm trying to move to an AS from another manufacturer. I have a small toy hauler (18') that we like but not an AS.
We’re getting off track, a sign the original question was answered. But, briefly, space was a big reason. Tens year older than when we bought the Airstream, we needed more space to stretch out. The gaucho sofa may be comportsble for gauchos, but we craved a real sofa. The Airstream cushions used low quality foam and were not comfortable. We got better foam to try out in one, but not good enough. We kept running into each other in the crowded kitchen area. The crosswise bed was harder to crawl out of. Appliances were getting old and we had spent several hundred bucks on the fridge in the last two years. With back problems, the shower was too crowded to sit or stand in for me. I don’t know if the Nash would last as long as an Airstream, but we don’t travel to the ends of the continent anymore. We went with Nash (they also make Arctic Fox) because their trailers are better made than most others. We have had many fewer problems with the Nash during the warranty period than we did with the Airstream.

Given what I know now, the Airstream was way overpriced and a vanity object for many. I know lots of Airstreamers will be insulted by that thought. If you want to travel gazillions of miles, an Airstream (gently used to save money) may be a good purchase, but you could buy two new trailers from reputable brands in those years for the same or less money.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:24 PM   #77
jeffndaile

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Clarkston , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Do not do this. It is so easy to transfer moneys between accounts today. Checks and money orders, or pay pal, are not safe.
Been using PayPal for many years.... very happy with them and never a problem.
Jeffndaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:38 PM   #78
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffndaile View Post
Been using PayPal for many years.... very happy with them and never a problem.
Here is a warning about PayPal
https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/20...g-paypal-brand

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:44 PM   #79
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Hillsboro , Texas
It comes down to the issue of trust. I agreed to purchase my 2007 Classic 34SO with a seller in SC. I furnished several references that the seller could check out such as my 20+ year membership in WBCCI, club offices I held, other verifiable information. I sent the seller a personal check for the $2500 deposit weeks before we completed the deal. He deposited my check and confirmed it was good and that I was legitimate. I drove from Illinois to his home in Liberty, SC. He allowed my spouse and I to sleep in the AS overnight. We brought a bank cashiers' check with us for an amount north of $50K. He accepted the check and we drove back to IL with the trailer and title signed over to us. No hitches, no problems for either side.
WBCCI #4432 & ARC member W9CJX
jwgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:00 PM   #80

2019 16' Sport
TACOMA , WA
New scam

Wiring money is now unsafe. There are people who hack your account, or USAAs account , and quietly monitor the account until they see a wire transfer. It was on the news a few days ago.
mike walling is offline   Reply With Quote