Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2019, 05:07 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thumbs up

"Caveat Venditor"

OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:38 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Shreveport , Louisiana
Can you do the wire transfer without giving the buyer your bank account information?
Endodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:12 AM   #23
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
You can open a seperate account for the transfer. My bank was able to do this in just a few minutes. After the transfer I moved the funds out of that account.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:19 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1993 32' Excella
Woodburn , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlinCal View Post
I have a buyer from out of state who is financing the purchase of our trailer thru USAA who will issue him a cashiers check in my name.
Pretty uneasy about letting our trailer leave without actual funds in hand, especially going out of state.
I have requested cash but they are uneasy about that and not sure its possible.
What do you think?
I am a member of USAA. First, someone with nefarious intentions can forge documents from any bank. If you decide to accept a check from this buyer, before signing over the title call USAA toll free at 1-800-531-8722. Ask if the check in your hand will clear the bank if presented for payment.

Also, USAA will execute an ACH transfer of funds from the buyer's account to the seller's account at no expense to either party. That certainly will be the most definitive manner by which you will be assured of the funds being in your possession.

Good luck.

David Parker
1993 Excella
1989 Dodge D-350
davidlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:47 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1996 30' Limited
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
santa rosa , California
Cashiers check

I have 5 cashiers Checks on my desk that folks have given me over the years to buy RVs. They are all fake.
Do a wire transfer or cash. Banks usually donít have that much cash. Banks really donít handle 💰 very well anyway. Thatís why banks are not the best place to keep your money because if you need it in a rush. They donít have it. They loan it to other folks who donít have any and they canít pay it back either so thatís why they canít give you yours. They will offer a check but if you want cash 💰 good luck. 🍀. Cash is still king but not for long.
Jm
tojimmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:30 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Snoqualmie , Washington
everybody's right - but still most person to person car / trailer sales I expect are done this way. Airstreams i expect are not as easily sought after as autos- so suspect not really a problem (compared to a car). Thieves would be better off doing this scam on an auto owner which can then be more easily sold / parted out. I personally would have no problem with a cashiers check; unless you have other equal offers.
Anders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:34 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' International
Cumming , Georgia
No on cashiers checks. With a cashiers check the person just have to have the money in their account at the time they have the check printed. They can easily then pull their money out of their account prior to giving you the check, then the check would bounce and your stuck.

You want to get whatís called a Bank Check. With a Banc Check the bank takes your money out of your account and puts it in a bank owned account, the Bank Check is drawn on the banks account which you shouldnít have to worry about not having funds when you go to cash it.

To ensure you have a bank check, which may look just like a cashiers check, you call the bank prior to accepting the check and tell them you have a bank check in your hands, the number and who itís made out to. They will verify if itís real. If they say itís their check your good to go.

Good luck!
Scott59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:54 AM   #28
FLHTK & FXDWG

2003 25' Safari
Ridgeville , South Carolina
If you have a bad feeling don't do it. I have seen plenty of people get taken with bad cash too. We purchased ours in Florida with Cashiers Check from a credit Union from SC. I would have gladly done anything the seller wanted. I don't want to get screwed either. I hate to say this but Airstream People are normally great people. Talk to them and get to know them a little bit. look them up on facebook. You can learn a lot. Look up their tax records in the county they live in, all public record. Then make your mind.
RManchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:55 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2002 25' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
La Quinta, N Barrington , CA & IL
Have your bank send a wire transfer!

Banker
Banker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:13 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Well that was big waste of time. Supposed buyer called off deal saying usaa advised him of a scam if I would not accept there secure check.
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 11:42 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Thumbs down

Quote:
Well that was big waste of time. Supposed buyer called off deal saying usaa advised him of a scam if I would not accept there secure check.
IMO he was scammer, best to lose sale of AS than lose all.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:17 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Auckland , New Zealand
Both Parties meet at the sellers bank to do the financial transaction . Your or Their Bank Manager also observe the Title Signing....
Voltair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:22 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Definately go with a bank to bank wire transfer.
Not sure why USAA would advise the buyer that this is a scam. Perhaps if you both sign a sales contract, USAA would say otherwise. Sounds like the buyer may be trying to scam you.

We did a USAA wire transfer purchase, and we are doing another wire transfer buying a new non-Airstream trailer.

Walk away from any cashiers check only transaction.

Also, when you do sell your trailer, recommend taking the title transfer one step further:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltair View Post
Your or Their Bank Manager also observe the Title Signing....
Have the title transfer notarized for the witness. The notary will collect identification on both of you.

For a Texas buyer, the seller and buyer must also sign form 130-U which is the "Application for Texas Title and/or Registration".

Recommend that you advise the buyer to get their state's transit permit to drive away. Do not let them take your plates.

In Texas, when you sell a registered vehicle, you should immediately submit a Vehicle Transfer Notification. In Texas, we can do this online. You should check CA DMV for something similar.

Also, recommend that you issue a bill-of-sale that specifies the sale condition - "AS IS" or otherwise. Have the purchaser sign it.

73/gus
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:26 PM   #34
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
I call BS on this one... sounds like you may have narrowly avoided being ripped off.

Here's USAAs page on transfers https://www.usaa.com/inet/wc/wire_transfer_instructions

As an aside.. a few years ago we purchased a vintage Airstream out of state and went in person, with cash to finalize the transaction. Even though we had cash and purchased from a forum member, they had one of those markers that detects faked bills. It took some time to swipe all those bills and they were somewhat embarrassed as they did it but I don't blame them a bit. The transaction went smoothly and every one was happy.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:27 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
There is no such thing as a secure check. USAA calls it an "Official Check".

From the USAA web site:
"What is an Official Check? This type of check comes from the financial institution or bank’s funds and not your own personal checking account (like a personal check would). This method is often requested when making large purchases (like a down payment on a home) to ensure the amount on the check will be covered. For example, the bank will have the funds guaranteed, unlike a check from a personal account that could potentially not have the funds available to cover the amount. This type of check can also be more secure since, unlike a traditional check, your account and routing information is not listed on the check."

If the buyer requests, and delivers to you, a "USAA Official Check" you can call and verify funds are available from the bank's account. IF the buyer insists it is a cashier's check or secure check, he is scamming you. If it is an official check, he is mis-communicating.

That said, the last time I did a real estate closing, the title company required a wire transfer. No paper method was acceptable.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:36 PM   #36
Silver Dreams

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Columbus , OH
We bought "Rosie", our 88' 345 LE sight unseen off the internet 3 years ago. I PayPaled half of the purchase price, and then did the other half with PayPal when we arrived to pick her up. The husband was like "wtf", but the wife said it's fine honey, take the money! It's pretty amazing what you can do these days with money transfer. All went well and we are plowing through a full gut/renovation which stands at one year. Still hoping to be ready for Alumapoolza.

Gotta love our obsession...
Old 01-22-2019, 12:54 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
This is his final text.

USAA gave us a severe warning because you won’t take a secure cashiers check with a verified phone call and so demanding of a cash only deal this seams like a set up for a scam. So the deal is off.

We talked on phone prior and have seen lots of obvious scams but never got the feeling with this one.

By the way my add on craigslist is only our area and says CASH ONLY
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:55 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
You are better off..they are the scammers. If the same rule from years ago applies cashiers checks are not solid money and can be stopped.
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:03 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I recieved a cashiers check from their bank..I was sitting there when the loan officer wrote it....was fine
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:15 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
Why isnít PayPal safe?
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote