Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2020, 09:34 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2022 28' Flying Cloud
GAINESVILLE , GA
0% financing in the near future?

Just wondering if this could actually be an opportunity for Airstream and prospective buyers. I was going to pull money out of my savings, with the blessing of my financial advisor, but now, I have to wait...... Unless?
Spaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 12:16 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

palo alto , California
Negative.
airpaloalto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 06:23 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2021 20' Bambi
FREDERICKSBURG , VA
Rates are going to start going up, not down anymore
ShawnSk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:00 AM   #4
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
I don't think 0% financing will happen any time soon.
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:51 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
According to the FED, interest rates will be going up in 2022. Not sure when in 2022 or by how much. We shall see... : (
MAJORJDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:56 AM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Unlike the auto companies, the RV folks generally do not provide financing from the "main office". Any credit deal you get will be from the dealer. I'm quite sure there are dealers out there that would be happy to provide 0% financing ...

mumble ... mumble ... 3% cost of money ... 5 years ... 15% ....

Ok, sir we have your new invoice here, the best deal we can do on this RV is 15% over MSRP

The gotcha being that if the starting point was 10% off MSRP and the credit math works out a bit differently, you might simply pay MSRP. If the dealer started at MSRP and you asked about 0% early on, you may never know.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 08:04 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
O% financing is an incentive to increase sales. RV manufacturers already can’t keep up so why would they do it?

Also, car manufacturers don’t give the same discount on their cars if you take 0%. If you want to pay the true lowest price, it’s cheaper to pay cash.
Gotta_Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 10:07 PM   #8

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Baker City , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta_Travel View Post
Also, car manufacturers don’t give the same discount on their cars if you take 0%. If you want to pay the true lowest price, it’s cheaper to pay cash.
Sadly even cars/trucks are basically going for MSRP these days.
firebeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:01 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebeyer View Post
Sadly even cars/trucks are basically going for MSRP these days.

Yup, and it won’t get better until we get intelligent government leadership to improve the supply chain situation.
Old 11-30-2021, 06:04 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
O% financing is an incentive to increase sales. RV manufacturers already can’t keep up so why would they do it?

That’s not necessarily true. My most recent auto purchase was a much better deal
At 4. something % then for cash. I assume the dealer gets some kind of bonus from the bank.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 06:14 AM   #11
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:

If you negotiate the price first based on a cash purchase and then bring up the corporate 0% offer, you can get a great deal....but that was before the pandemic and chip shortage.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:07 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
If you negotiate the price first based on a cash purchase and then bring up the corporate 0% offer, you can get a great deal....but that was before the pandemic and chip shortage.

Exactly. Now it’s either the best negotiated price or they tack on ~$2k-2.5k if you choose 0% offers from the manufacturer.
Old 12-01-2021, 06:12 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
That’s not necessarily true. My most recent auto purchase was a much better deal

At 4. something % then for cash. I assume the dealer gets some kind of bonus from the bank.

Yes, different story if you use a bank. Add up that 4.something %. I’ll bet it exceeds the discount. I’d try to pay off early. My experience is nothing comes free.
Old 12-01-2021, 06:26 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Yup, and it won’t get better until we get intelligent government leadership to improve the supply chain situation.
Politicians, as much as they'd like to (and claim that they can), cannot control international market forces like we're seeing now. Supply is down, demand is up, so prices rise. The dark side of Capitalism. Interjecting government deeply into price controls and market flow isn't a very good idea since this is the basis for political systems vehemently opposed and vilified in this country. We'll have to let the market settle down on its own.

We won't likely see 0% on RVs, but rates remain very low and easy to get.
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:46 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2009 34' Panamerica
2005 28' Classic
Still , in the thick of it
Well, there are gov actions that can and have been taken. For example, the extension of unemployment benefits. This was a boon for some, while a good deal of others took avantage of it and found it was more lucrative to collect unemploy benefits than to work. Add to the fact that the pandemic really made us take a hard look at why we bust our behinds so hard when most of the rest of the world gets the job done, but with far less hours put in- in some places. On top of all that, the pandemic in addition to the above mentioned took a section of the workforce out which had a domino effect.

Bottom line, with inflation getting out of control, you will NEVER see anywhere near 0% on a vehicle purchase unless you take a loan from a family member that gives you a 0% int loan. In times of inflation, raising interest rates is the gov tool, just as lowering was during a recession/depression.

We've been printing money for decades. Eventually there is no more room to kick the can down the road, we're in a real pickle here. The great retirement, supply chain issues up and down the entire chain, reliance on foreign manufacturing, inflation out of control- take your pick and this list is not exclusive.

It's going to get a lot worse before it gets better, so sorry, 0% in this econ is nothing more than a pipe dream, let alone most manufacs sell anything they can get off the line.
panamerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:51 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
With so much going up and the supply problems going on I'd be surprised to see
0 % anything (other than salary increases).
Old 12-01-2021, 07:04 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Zero percent financing?…don’t believe it there is no such thing as free money…the interest is hidden in the price….Every one is concerned about the prices..they keep buying and the suppliers can’t keep up…even the refinery’s are running full bore..
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 12:51 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Yes, different story if you use a bank. Add up that 4.something %. I’ll bet it exceeds the discount. I’d try to pay off early. My experience is nothing comes free.
I took the financing because I got a better price then paying cash. Paid in full the next day. Problem solved. The dealer got what ever they get from the bank and I got the price that they wouldn’t give me if I paid cash.
Now it’s true 0% because I just pay myself back.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 01:33 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I think dealers get some kind of kick back when financing is involved. You would think there would be some requirement to disclose it, and maybe it is somewhere deep in the fine print. But when I bought my last pickup I paid cash. I bought it just when the pandemic was starting and got an incredible deal. Probably won’t see that kind of a deal ever again. I did notice that RAM has a 0% financing offer on some 1/2 tons.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 01:48 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2022 22' Bambi
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Villa Park , Alabama
Paying for a new vehicle with cash can be the best option, but it's also smart to keep an eye on your opportunity cost.
If they are offering a financing rate of 0%, or even something like 1 or 2%, how much better could a smart financial mind do with $60k over the course of five years?
drmox is offline   Reply With Quote