Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2009, 06:52 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
I see an awful lot of good in those pictures. Probably be a whole different trailer cleaned up. 13 panels and a seemingly pretty straight body!!!

Absolutely no denying it'll be a big project, almost certainly shell off redo. Lots of work, but sure could be a nice trailer. Time and money.

steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:45 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Steve, sounds like there's some temptation in your voice. Everyone needs at least two... right?
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:04 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
By your profile info it looks like it has claimed you already... A trailer like that FEW people could pencil whip with their check book, its going to take a year of 40-hour weeks to make it back into a doll house!

Looking at the wheel - looks like split rim, few will work on them so two new wheels (before 'real' road trip) and the axle spring leaf pack looks seriously (danger to even move?) decrepit so count on that assembly getting checked out before/during/after the first attempt to move the unit. Count on updating axle afterward.

Those permanent plumbed drain lines should be cut away before you move the trailer, I'd hate to think of collateral damage that could occur if one/both snagged on something. How is the entrance door? That is a vital and pricey piece of aluminum! Make a fail-safe tie off for the door assembly before you see highway speeds just in case the latch has weakened blah blah...

I'd say first major expense would be a building to 1) store removed parts in a rational order 2) work on interior section pieces and flooring carpentry 3) have dry area to accomplish shell off restoration.

http://56caravanner.blogspot.com/ <--- give you a sense of scale of your new hobby kit
Old 11-10-2009, 10:04 PM   #24
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
You have to ask yourself if you have the skills for this, or are willing to learn them. Are you good at this sort of stuff? Are willing to go into the unknown? Some people start a restoration and give up and I suppose you don't know until you start. If it feels like a dream you have and are excited by it, go for it. Any realistic person will have some doubts, and that's ok.

Anything like that I've tackled (house remodeling) has been quite a challenge at times, sometimes frustrating and worse, but when each part is finished, there's the pride of accomplishment. It does, as Hampstead says, take more time than you can imagine, costs more than you want, and can be well worth it. And yes, only you will see the flaws and don't tell everyone else about them, though you will find yourself strangely compelled to confess them.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:07 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
Steve, sounds like there's some temptation in your voice. Everyone needs at least two... right?
I'm glad it's a long long way away.

I've really got all I can handle.

steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:11 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1953 17' Clipper
Mendon , Vermont
Definately worth it!!!

RJM---It WILL be a ton of work, but worth every minute!! The skin seems to be in beautiful shape, and just washing off the mold will improve its looks enormously!

I just finished with my '53. Check out my pics to see what the interior and exterior can look like when refinished. Don't throw away anything, or sell anything until you decide what your game plan is. Gail
pinktrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:51 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
If you decide not to do it,I think I have 5 mounted wheels,and a full tank of gas,could be there in about 24 hrs.I have room for another project. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:06 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
No, it definitely isn't worth doing. Don't pay any attention to EASYRIDE. I can get there and help you get it off the property before he can...

Zep
Old 11-11-2009, 11:23 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinstream View Post
I go out of my way to find trailers that are in poor shape to "Bring life & Road to Vintage Custom Trailers" However you should know based on your pictures this trailer looks way past any type of bandaid repairs that other have suggested! It truly needs to be a frame-off restoration. There are only a hand full of shops that can even do this type of work! In the end you will have a "like-new" trailer but at what cost? If I was to put a price on this type of project that would produce a "like-new" safe trailer you would be no less than a starting cost of $20,000.... And that is for the basics with no upgrades! SO your question is "Is it worth it" This year and size can fetch a price in mint shape for $20,000 to $30,000 so I would say you would at best break even. Unless you want it for years of enjoyment?

Good Luck
'
Yep what he said in terms of cost and effort.

I notice cinder blocks under the frame, and a spring that has sprong! Big question is can you get a rollback towtruck into the woods or a flatbed to get it out. Even with new tires and rims, I'd be reluctant to tow it 10 miles at 25mph. If the leaf spring looks that bad, I'd bet that the frame is GONE or close to it. It will need a new frame.

On the upside, it's straight and not "Ms. Dingalot". I like the fact that it's got the original refrigerator and stove. That makes it eligible for a restoration to original. You're not stuck with renovation. BTW more than one person has hidden a new refrigerator behind the old door.

I agree it's been a home for mice voles and in PA, you'll need a large stout garage to work on her.

(It is salable too, just wash the exterior.)

Paula
Old 11-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
rjmiester - come back - we wanna visit
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:06 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethowens View Post
rjmiester - come back - we wanna visit
It seems he has owned this Airstream for at least 3 years now.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...eam-33482.html

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:57 AM   #32
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Lee, good find on that thread. He never responded in that earlier thread either.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:17 AM   #33

1956 22' Flying Cloud
tylersburg , Pennsylvania
My wife and I are split on this project. She wanted to do it before "07" and I was against it, now as it seams, we switched ideas. Women....who gets them!?
I've been looking at alot of the posts and rebuilds and from what I see, anything with time and effort seems to be capable of restoring. This would take years for us, because we can not devote 40 hours a weeks for a year, Ha. A place, building to work in would be needed here in northern Pa. And most of all, alot of great advice from all you experienced "do it yourselfers".
Heres the deal, we are going to an auction on Sunday for a camp on the NY/PA state line. I doubt we get it, but if it's meant to be I probably will pull this trailer out, clean it up(the shell) and sell it. If we don't get the camp, I will maybe enclose the 24'x24' cement pad and take it from there. With the graces of my lovely wife of course.
This site is the best, you can find anything you need on it. Thanks for the replies and advice.
rjmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:27 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
1962 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Webster Groves , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmiester View Post
My wife and I are split on this project. She wanted to do it before "07" and I was against it, now as it seams, we switched ideas. Women....who gets them!?
I've been looking at alot of the posts and rebuilds and from what I see, anything with time and effort seems to be capable of restoring. This would take years for us, because we can not devote 40 hours a weeks for a year, Ha. A place, building to work in would be needed here in northern Pa. And most of all, alot of great advice from all you experienced "do it yourselfers".
Heres the deal, we are going to an auction on Sunday for a camp on the NY/PA state line. I doubt we get it, but if it's meant to be I probably will pull this trailer out, clean it up(the shell) and sell it. If we don't get the camp, I will maybe enclose the 24'x24' cement pad and take it from there. With the graces of my lovely wife of course.
This site is the best, you can find anything you need on it. Thanks for the replies and advice.
The trailer is 26' long ... you'll need a "bump-out".
Bob
Xbob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:40 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmiester View Post
This would take years for us, because we can not devote 40 hours a weeks for a year, Ha. A place, building to work in would be needed here in northern Pa. And most of all, alot of great advice from all you experienced "do it yourselfers".
As "do it yourselfers" who just completed the interior portion of our restoration and all but the polishing on the exterior, I concur, it will take a couple of years if you aren't able to work on it 40 hours per week for a year. Here's a conservative time estimate of what we've spent restoring our '56 Safari. It's definitely been a LOT of work, but the results are worth it.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #36
Addicted to Aluminum

1959 18' "Footer"
1964 24' Tradewind
1954 29' Liner
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
As "do it yourselfers" who just completed the interior portion of our restoration and all but the polishing on the exterior, I concur, it will take a couple of years if you aren't able to work on it 40 hours per week for a year. Here's a conservative time estimate of what we've spent restoring our '56 Safari. It's definitely been a LOT of work, but the results are worth it.

Shari
That DOES look conservative! I've been working on the Silver Pickle for almost 4 years! :-) (part time, of course)

• • •
• • • • •
8576 • • • • • • • •
there's always room for one more!
A-Merry-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:26 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
No time....then flip it quick....one of the members here
will surely give you a fair price. No need to let it suffer
further in the woods there.
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Merry-Can View Post
That DOES look conservative! I've been working on the Silver Pickle for almost 4 years! :-) (part time, of course)
We drug ours home March 23, 2007 so I know the calendar time (2-1/2 years) is correct - but the amount of hours each week is what's conservative. We really haven't done much else with our free time during the last 2-1/2 years - except camping, traveling & such. The weekends/evenings worked took those and the weather into account...we did everything at home in our unheated garage or outside.

I know if we had kids or family nearby or had to do the resto off-site we would have even taken longer.

Originally, we thought we could do the project in one-and-a-half years...boy, were we mistaken!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 04:18 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
I pulled the 55 Safari home on 12-1-2007. When gutted, almost fell thru the floor that's how bad the floor was. Ours is a shell off, full restoration, I'm doing all the work myself, and that included lifting the shell off. Hope to be done next year, plus I work a full time job.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ent-38289.html

Toastie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trash.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	90780   Click image for larger version

Name:	trash1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	90781