Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2017, 12:52 PM   #41

1974 31' Excella 500
Livingston , Montana
That seems very high to me. I saw today that was a 26' 1967 Land Yacht with updates and upgrades for $15,000 where I live. That seems much more reasonable.
Carolyn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:12 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member

1995 25' Excella
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Myrtle Creek , Oregon
22 gigawatts?

For a unrealistic price I believe the correct quote is 1.21 gigawatts. WOW. The people selling this for $22,000 should re evaluate the market.
A Airstream is only worth what someone will pay for it. That being said, for a 70 in the condition you described is not worth $22k. I might pay $5,000 and that is only if the outside has no damage.
If you are in the market for a Airstream and you have even close to $22k then you should be looking for a little older one. Lets say you bought the 70 for 20. You are going to put at least another 20 into it and you still have a 1970.
Since you are asking for advice I will give you mine which is buy a older trailer '65' or older, or a newer trailer 90s and above. You said you are new to this so I will give you some ideas of what is involved with these older trailers. When you have to polish the outside of a trailer and redo the interior of a trailer you may as well restore the whole thing, and if you are going to do that it should be a trailer that is desirable to the market, otherwise you are not investing well. (restore it right the first time and you will not pay for a restoration twice) But you have to like the looks and function of the trailer yourself. To restore a trailer completely you have to take it off the frame, restore or replace the axle, replace the insulation in between interior and exterior as the old insulation adhesive usually fails and the insulation follows gravity (this also means replacing thousands of rivets that hold the inside on), replace all wiring and plumbing, (PEOPLE PLEASE STOP USING ROMEX TO REPLACE ELECTRICAL AS YOU ARE GOING TO SHOCK SOMEONE WHEN THEY PLUG IN THEIR TRAILER ONE DAY. AS THE TRAILER VIBRATES GOING DOWN THE ROAD AND WEARS OFF THE SHEATHING AROUND THE WIRE WHEREVER IT TOUCHES ALUMINUM FRAMING AND SUCH, BRAIDED JACKETED WIRE IS BEST OR AT THE VERY LEAST PLEASE USE GROMMETS AT CONTACT POINTS),replace the floor, replace all seals, belly pan (you gotta have a pro do the belly pan), tanks, (prior to 1972 grey water tanks were not mandatory) refurbish or replace all cabinetry, cushions, window coverings, heater/ac, propane lines. Are you getting a good idea yet? as this list goes on and on.
The trailer restoration places tackle a job that should be saved for museums, but if a individual can afford it then by all means save an old trailer. In my opinion it is well worth it to restore a older trailer. if you buy a new Airstream with every thing you want it may cost you over $100,000 but if you find the right older trailer that is usable and has been taken care of even a little you should only have to pay no more than $20,000. 20k is a range of trailer that functions great and everything has been taken care of and it has no problems, it is also ready to go camping in. 20k is not a trailer that needs a interior remodel. I have two Airstreams right now, one is 1995 that I found in poor condition and got the price down to $10,000. not everything needed to be redone as this was not a really old trailer. The solid oak cabinets were the only things that were in great shape as no one took any kind of care of this trailer. I had the tanks dropped and checked for leaks, plumbing redone, electrical redone, back bedroom rebuilt from twin beds to a full size walk around, two outside skins replaced, exterior stripped and re coated, new wheels, brakes, floor, water heater, front seats and table, new inverter and batteries with solar, toilet, heater rebuild, and probably some other things I am forgetting and I am into this 1995 25 foot excella around $35,000. This trailer is now being taken care of and is road ready at any time. I have another Airstream that is a 1961 that I plan on fixing for guests at my ranch. I have done work on dozens of these older trailers and I can tell you there is always something that surprises me when I try to calculate how much it may cost to work on them, but the end result is that they are worth it. You won't find a 40 year old fiberglass or wood framed trailer for sale unless it was stored inside a museum and no one ever touched it. These aluminum framed and skinned trailers are still popular because they are one of very few things that were built to last. They are great investments but not if you grossly overpay from the get go. Take your time finding just the right trailer for you and it will be worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dick Mcyntire 011.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	301196  
Howdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:21 PM   #43

1973 31' Sovereign
Twin Falls , Idaho
Airhabitat

Seems too much as others are sharing. I bought a 1973 31' Land Yacht time capsule for $6000 this past spring - excellent original condition with everything (books, jacks, records, etc), but like you and our needs, will need a full interior remake and the exterior will also need polishing. So I think we have similar types, although yours might offer a bit of a premium because it isn't so big as ours?

Best of luck.

JF
airhabitat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 08:09 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Not to disrespectful but this is why some go cheap, good intentions can lead to an unfinished project. I would much rather get one before anything has been removed just so that I can document how it was taken apart.
I hope that they can find a home for their AS project...in fact I would like everyone could find a new home for their unfinished project AS or not.
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 02:48 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Some truly wacky posts here, check the online market for realistic pricing. I wouldn't sell my 66 for less than 17 or 18000 and it is restored not customized. But I know how long it takes to find a truly good one, that is not abused or hides mold and problems.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:18 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
I just checked the classifieds here & was surprised at how much the values have gone UP! some are just not in touch! Check this one out;
http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...r-20-oregon-4/

and there are many many more!
Old 12-30-2017, 10:39 AM   #47
Rivet Polisher

1973 31' Sovereign
Mt Pleasant , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieschooner View Post
I just checked the classifieds here & was surprised at how much the values have gone UP! some are just not in touch! Check this one out;
http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...r-20-oregon-4/

and there are many many more!
That the problem with posting stuff for sale, you can ask any price, whether some fool is willing to pay it is another story...
wildhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:09 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
[QUOTE=kandp;2042412]Hi all,

I'm brand new to this forum, but figured this was the best place to come for advice in buying my very first Airstream. I'm looking vintage and need a smaller, lighter weight model in order to trail it behind my SUV.

I found a 1970 Globetrotter (21') described as "as is" but ready to roll, in need of some buff to polish and a little TLC. She's offered at $22K, but seller is open to reasonable offers. What do you guys think?

I'm looking to do a total interior reno, and don't have details on the true condition of the shell or subfloor, but from the looks of it...seems pretty solid.

Any help greatly appreciated!

I've spoken to the seller too, she's been trying to sell this for over a year now, the price is way too high IMO. She's convinced it's worth it and yes, it's very cute and people love these "bambi" style airstreams. You'll get lots of advice here on cost of modernizing. It can be staggering, if you take to a restoration place, $120.00 + /hr. If you can do yourself, plan on many many hours. I'd be shooting from the hip on a true value, but 12k? (if flooring is sound) and in original condition ? You'll double that price very quickly with axle, tires, heater, water heater maybe new plumbing?, mattresses , gaucho, fabrics .... it will amazing when fixed up though. I'd love it, but knowing the true cost to renovate, I'd not pay her asking price.
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:13 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
[QUOTE=airhabitat;2046927]Seems too much as others are sharing. I bought a 1973 31' Land Yacht time capsule for $6000 this past spring - excellent original condition with everything (books, jacks, records, etc), but like you and our needs, will need a full interior remake and the exterior will also need polishing. So I think we have similar types, although yours might offer a bit of a premium because it isn't so big as ours?

Best of luck.

I paid same price for my '72 Landyacht 4 yrs ago, but have sunk quite a bit into it since ! one can at least double or treble purchase price if all original. 31's go for way less than the cute bambi style of course.
nickclifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:29 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildhorses View Post
That the problem with posting stuff for sale, you can ask any price, whether some fool is willing to pay it is another story...
right.....if the rest of the world is wrong....you cannot be right.
I haven't seen the one in question just saying the values are more than expected especially when you look at the price of a new one.
Anyone selling would need to get what it would cost to replace it.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:39 AM   #51
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
One would wish to get one's investment back out. That is however seldom the case.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:46 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
Some truly wacky posts here, check the online market for realistic pricing. I wouldn't sell my 66 for less than 17 or 18000 and it is restored not customized. But I know how long it takes to find a truly good one, that is not abused or hides mold and problems.
I too wouldn't sell my restored Argosy for less than about 20,000. Point being the seller of the trailer in question is wanting that for an unrestored trailer. No way would I pay that for an unrestored trailer no matter the length or options. I would expect to put many hours of labor, lots of money and heart ache into any as is trailer. No thanks on buying a 1970`s model for 20000 that I know will take almost just as much in repairs or more if you have a shop do it. Why invest 40000 or more in a vintage model when you could buy a late model for the same price?
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:41 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

1975 21' Globetrotter
Lincoln , California
Just saw something in Reno area on CL. 15K Bambi. I agree the globetrotter seems way too high.
sac1gaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:27 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheart View Post
One would wish to get one's investment back out. That is however seldom the case.
I made money on all if my sold Airstreams,, 3 so far. I refinished and restored them, but did not go the gutted route, that is way too ambitious for me and my skills, clean, pretty and usable is what I went for .
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote