Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2016, 06:26 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
2015 28' Flying Cloud
Kalamazoo , Michigan
What does nada guides reflect

Looking to trade my AS in when I pick up my next AS. I looked up the value of mine on NADA which most dealers reference. Question - is the trailer value the base model PLUS options/features or the base model plus any changes made. When I calculated mine, I added in all the features (awning, AC etc etc.). Dealer tells me for AS the base value already includes all the features of the trailer except specific upgrades (convection microwave, extra awning etc etc). Does anyone know if on NADA you add back all features of the AS or is the base value "as is"?
mwilliamsmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
It's my understanding the Blue Book (aka NADA) values for travel trailers are based solely on original MSRP (likely without options) and a depreciation formula that NADA has invented. It is my understanding that NADA values do not reflect actual real world transactions and are almost always way too low. Usually people who refer to NADA for Airstream valuations are trying to buy at a very low price or trying to minimize an insurance claim. If a potential buyer is referring to NADA prices in trying to negotiate with you, run do not walk away from that deal. Unless you live in the middle of nowhere, there are so few good used Airstreams out there that you would be much much better off selling it on your own. You can use Craigslit and the Airforums Classifieds as a guide for your pricing. Be fair in your initial pricing and you will sell it pretty fast.

I'm sure that others here will have good suggestions for how and where to list your Airstream for sale.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:13 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Mocksville , North Carolina
We bought a used (2010) Airstream last year. I found the NADA values to be a joke. Most all the used ones we looked at were priced well over what NADA listed. The few in the NADA range were in very rough condition. It makes financing a used Airstream difficult unless you are willing to put quite a bit down. The market may have changed since then, but I suspect there is still a big gap between what NADA says and what used ones are selling for.
Echelon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:31 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
NADA is the book run by dealers and bankers to beat you over the head and reduce the amount they loan and the dealer will pay on trades.
It is their "Reference Bible" and book of guaranteed profits.
The bank doesn't really like loaning on RVs, so they want the loan "wholesale" value to be as low as possible to increase the likelihood of the loan not being very upside down.
The dealer participates in this because he doesn't want to give much on trades, so he will fudge the truth and say the base price is all that counts....which is unmitigated BS. The base price + adds is what counts....so they want to steal your adds if they are trading for it, and price them double if they are selling them.

The only real thing that counts is MARKET VALUE.
What will a willing buyer pay to a willing seller that they both can agree to be happy with?
Airstream trailers regularly sell for well over NADA.
In a conversation recently with my insurance company for my 84 Airstream, I asked the question, if it gets totaled in a grapefruit sized hail storm, what are you going to pay me......they said NADA. And so I asked about comparative sales....and they said yes, if that could substantiate a different value.
So, I asked this lady in their claims department, to whom I had been referred with my question to look up my trailer in her blue book...so she did.
Then I asked her to go to several URLs that strongly disagreed with the NADA for a 31 ft Excella price.
I told her, you can't buy one with everything working and it needing nothing major done to it for less than $12,000-$15,000....which is "Actual Cash Value" for an Airstream.

Don't be fooled.....NADA and Airstream values are FAR apart.

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:13 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Make sure your Airstream is insured for "agreed value" not NADA. RV specialty insurance companies can do this if you ask.
hobiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 10:30 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Dallas Center/Des Moines , Iowa
Nada

The values are too low on NADA. unrealistic. However be careful with your insurance companies who use it as valuation. Be sure to get clarity with the insurance company you use.
iowaroots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 04:12 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Several years ago I noticed a big difference between NADA prices and what was being asked by dealers. I called NADA and talked to someone who told me that used RV prices are determined by a group of dealers sitting around a conference table making up numbers (true). She also said that Airstream dealers decided long ago that they would not provide actual numbers to anyone.
Used car prices in the NADA book reflect actual selling prices in a particular area, but apparently used RV prices don't mean much of anything. I've seen units listed in the Seattle market for crazy prices (e.g. 2007 Holiday Navigator MH for $175).
vito98103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:33 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Look up the NADA values for used Newell motor homes. Can't find them? That's because Newell makes so few coaches that there really isn't a good way to figure the used value. They've been around since 1968 and haven't yet made coach 1600. NADA works fairly well for high volume vehicles, but not so well with low volume ones.

On the other hand, NADA does provide a floor. If someone is offering less than NADA it may mean that they are out to get you. Buyers and sellers both need to know what the NADA value is for a particular coach. Buyers should understand that they are very unlikely to get a coach for less than NADA - and if they do they ought to be very suspicious of it. Sellers ought to know that they will get at least that much, and likely more.

Since most Airstreams seem to be sold by private parties, rather than dealers, the actual selling prices are not reported to NADA and not included in NADA pricing.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:46 PM   #9
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I think the NADA values are what you'd like to buy an Airstream for, but never what you would sell one for.

Pat.

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 01:24 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Bingo Pat that's the best explanation so far.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:40 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Casco , Michigan
Nada has a spot for most of the upgrades, but like everyone else has said... they are not even in the ballpark of being near market value. I've been watching the market closely, trying to find a good deal on a rig. Today I finally pulled the trigger on one, afterwards I tripped on the NADA site so i figured I'd give it a try... I was laughing at the results. It was showing under half of what market value is.
JeffM is offline   Reply With Quote