Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents > Trailer Values
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2006, 03:46 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Value Range '89 Excella 32'

What would be a reasonable price range for an '89 '32 Excella...rear twins with dinnette? Second owner and has been lived in in a campground summers since new...trailered VERY little. Moved to outside storeage at a nearby farm each winter.

New compressor in fridge, new water heater...tires 5-6 years old and wheel bearing packed at same time as "new" tires.

Pre-inspection it sounds like original (17 year aged) condition...claims no leaks at all...no floor rot...one small dent near roofline.

NADA current "hard copy" value guide has value at $5900 wholesale - $8500 retail.

Assuming it is "tired" but "sound"...What say you Aluminum Guru's??? Tom R

P.S. I will probably do a separate post on issues? of almost never having been towed...other than the one mile to the farmer's field for winter storage...any gratuitous coments appreciated...TMR
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 05:19 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR
New compressor in fridge, new water heater...tires 5-6 years old and wheel bearing packed at same time as "new" tires.
Assuming it is "tired" but "sound"...What say you Aluminum Guru's??? Tom R

P.S. I will probably do a separate post on issues? of almost never having been towed...other than the one mile to the farmer's field for winter storage...any gratuitous coments appreciated...TMR
An Excella with 34 miles on it?
You can start with the $5900 figure, then deduct for the non-RV fridge, and elderly tires to start with. Is the new water heater also 110v only? You will have to deduct for that too. I don't think the towing of it that distance twice a year is enough to keep the spring in the axles, either, so you should look at them carefully besides. Sitting in a field in the winter, and in a yard in the summer, I would check for corrosion underneath as well.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
The NADA values are notoriously low. If you can find any trailer at those values that hasn't been totalled in a wreck, I'd be surprised. In my opinion, an '89 32' could be worth anywhere from maybe $8000 to $16000 or more depending upon condition and options (things like window awnings, front rock guards, and solar panels, add value). From your description, I'm going to guess the one you mention should not be on the upper end of the range. A regularly used and maintained trailer can often be in better shape than one that has sat a long time.

It mostly comes down to condition. If no significant frame rust (check inside the rear bumper storage compartment if it has one), no signs of current water leaks or significant floor rot (all Airstreams will eventually leak, but that's not a problem if discovered and taken care of promptly), if all systems and applicances work (water, electric, fridge, A/C, etc.), no significant dents or extensive clear coat fading or peeling (some fading on top is to be expected in an Airstream of this age), and the interior is in reasonable condition (carpets, upholstery, cabinets, curtains, etc.) I'd guess the trailer could be worth something in the $10,000 to $12,000 range. Any problems found will start detracting from these values. An exceptional and highly optioned trailer could bring more. But don't take my word for value. A knowledgable person needs to thoroughly look over the trailer to really make a proper valuation.

Of course, depending upon the knowledge level of the seller, the NADA value could be a bargaining tool. Just remember that a knowledageble seller will know those values are low.
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote