Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2018, 09:55 AM   #1

austin , tx
Value of a nicely redone 1976 International Overlander 27

Looking at a 76 Intl Overlander. Total restoration frame off about 5 years ago.

complete and ready to go. Looks great.

Ideas of value range? Thank you!
randlej2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Anywhere from 15k to 115k? Need far more information to give any kind of idea of value. It might be worth contacting one of the companies that does vintage Airstream appraisals and hire them to appraise it.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 12:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it...

It's all over the board...this can help you put things in perspective:

Price vs Condition

But as the previous poster stated, it could go into the 6-figures, especially if it was professionally restored.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:28 PM   #4

austin , tx
Thank you for the replies. I had looked over that pricing guide previously but it indicated the high of $18k which did not seem right. The asking price is in the high $30's.

new subfloor, custom upholstery, new plumbing, electric, etc. Not over the top, just tastefully done.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by randlej2 View Post
Thank you for the replies. I had looked over that pricing guide previously but it indicated the high of $18k which did not seem right. The asking price is in the high $30's.

new subfloor, custom upholstery, new plumbing, electric, etc. Not over the top, just tastefully done.
Without seeing pictures and a detailed description, it's hard to say whether the high 30s is a good price for this particular unit, but it's certainly not out of line for a nicely renovated unit of that size and vintage.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
High 30s doesn't surprise if the rebuild was done properly, and the interior design is tasteful. I paid nearly half that for a "well used" one with significant needs.

You will have to appraise all the work done and dollars spent making it a new trailer. Hopefully the seller has photos and receipts of the work done. I would expect to see new axles, brakes, bearings, tires, belly pan, insulation, no rust or cracks in the frame, no rear end separation, new black and gray tanks of larger capacity, nearly perfect body without damage, verified no rain water leaks, new appliances, new plumbing, new 12v electrical including battery, new soft goods (mattress, cushions, upholstery, curtains, etc.) awnings perfect or new, doors and windows all work, rubber seals new, AC new, front window rock guard and everything else?

High 30s buys a new box trailer of the same length. A vintage Airstream is more fun. I believe they will hold their value and last longer than a box trailer.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1709 Colorado Springs Awnings (Small).JPG
Views:	52
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	308435  
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

See my 1969 Globetrotter 21' Renovation Project:
In Knowledge Base

See my 1966 Trade Wind 24' Reno Project:
In Knowledge Base

See my 1975 Overlander 27' Improvement Journal:
In Knowledge Base

See our 1976 Sovereign 31' Renovation Project:
In Knowledge Base
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
The problem with full restores and significant remodels are, for me, twofold.

1. The new materials people want in an updated trailer tend to add weight to a trailer that was not designed for the weight. Balance can also be affected.
2. The seller tends to want to recoup part or all of their investment in the restore project.

It's up to you. The trailer is, in the end, worth precisely what you are willing to pay for it. In assessing value I would tend to consider that you may not have to replace key systems right away like water heater, AC, furnace, appliances etc. - that is about $1,000 per component. The frame off restore is interesting but it was the decision made by the owner and may or may not have had to be done - why should you have to pay for it? And how do you know it was done right? Think buying a house with a pool - the prior owner put a pool in and got enjoyment from it but rarely do they get any return on the investment in a pool at resale.
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:00 PM   #8

austin , tx
Thanks all. I appreciate the insight.